Actually there isn't a root permission issue. Sorry this is user error. I will admit, some file managers make it a bit confusing how to give the permission the first time. But you only have to do it once.
    As for the other post someone made about not being able to save files to SD card and the example was BBM, well that a BBM issue not Android.
    Not correct!

It is NOT user error!

All permissions have been granted.

This is a huge issue for many. Just google it and see how many non-solutions there are.

Just because you might not be facing the issue... does NOT make it user error!
    03-27-17 08:31 PM
    Not correct!

It is NOT user error!

This is a huge issue for many. Just google it and see how many non-solutions there are.

Are you talking about giving the app itself permissions? I'm talking about when a file manager app first requests permission for access to SD card when you are moving files around. And yes it is user error. I've had to help someone with a video on how to give it access. Try Asus file manager as I found its less complicated when it comes to that.
    03-27-17 08:34 PM
    That appears because it actually wasn't selected properly the first time. You need to pick your sd card (no sub folder in it) and click select at the bottom the first time. You only have to do that once.
    03-27-17 08:43 PM
    Try Asus file manager.
    Agreed! Asus file manager is tops.

No ads and it has cloud support. Very simple and easy to use. Probably the closes thing to the old BB10 file manager.
    03-28-17 05:17 AM
    Not correct!

It is NOT user error!

I have still not read in any of your posts what specific things you are trying to do that cannot be done with a variety of Android file managers. You speak in generalities which we cannot specifically address. Make us a list of SPECIFIC tasks you are trying to do.

If not, then we have to write off your griping as whining with no factual underpinnings.
    03-30-17 07:38 PM
    " Works much better"... means something as simple as being able to choose where one wants to save a file.

When opening a received attachment, whether it be a picture or .pdf... when choosing to save it, Andoid does not let you choose where to save it.

If the file is opened in BBM then it auto saves to BBM folder... if in Messenger then Messenger folder, etc. Then you have to go searching for it just to cut and paste it where you want it.

VERY inefficient.

Gadgets like split screens, etc. do no good if file management can't perform such basic functions.

And that doesn't even begin to address the root permission issue that is being experienced by many.

Basically, my DTEK60 file management options are non existent.
    With solid explorer, saving a file from whatever app to whatever place on your phone is quite easy: long press the file -> "share" -> look for the "save to..." icon from solid explorer and tap it. Blue folder with the "S" on it.

That's the only thing I had to get used to when I went back to Android for the PRIV: whatever I might want to do with a file, use "share" or the share-icon. For example, I shot images with my Fuji, copied them straight from the camera to the Priv, check them using QuickPic app and pick the one I'd like to fine-tune with Snapseed image editor: "share" -> "Snapseed" -> edit the image -> "share" (from within Snapseed) -> "save to" (Solid Explorer icon) -> pick the place where I wanna save it.
    Becomes second nature pretty fast. For batch processing files I open Solid Explorer first and navigate to the target folder all the processed files shall end up in. SE remembers that so I don't have to navigate to the directory again and again for saving, say 20 images I'm gonna edit and put on the file server at work ;-)

EDIT: If, with the phone set to English, there's no "share" option, it should be named "send to" instead. Coming from a PRIV set to German where it's been translated to "share" ("teilen") - sorry for the confusion folks!
    Last edited by bberrist; 05-25-17 at 06:50 AM.
    05-25-17 06:34 AM
31 12