05-25-17 06:34 AM
31 12
tools
    I really cannot stand Android! BB10's file manger was impeccable.

Now that I'm using the Priv, it's such a hassle to MOVE not copy to files around.

File manager apps give me hard time with the root folder when I try to move pictures around.

Is there something I don't understand?
    03-27-17 04:55 PM
    Tell me about it... so many things that bb10 just did right
    03-27-17 04:59 PM
    Use Solid Explorer. It makes the BB10 file manager look like a kindergarten project.
    03-27-17 05:03 PM
    I was using it and even paid for it.

I became fed up and started using X-Plore which I kind of like better but in the end has the same issue.

My issue is, sometimes moving things around works well and other times it's always bugging me about the root folder. No matter how many times, I select SD card it doesn't register something.

At this point I might as well eject the card and use my laptop to move things around.
    03-27-17 05:08 PM
    I was using it and even paid for it.

I became fed up and started using X-Plore which I kind of like better but in the end has the same issue.

My issue is, sometimes moving things around works well and other times it's always bugging me about the root folder. No matter how many times, I select SD card it doesn't register something.

At this point I might as well eject the card and use my laptop to move things around.
    Try Asus file manager.
    03-27-17 05:09 PM
    I've never had an issue after granting access the first time on ANY of my BlackBerry Android devices.

Maybe there is something funny with your SD card.
    mbirth likes this.
    03-27-17 05:12 PM
    Might be worth a try.
    03-27-17 05:13 PM
    @conite I hope not and at the sametime I hope so!
    03-27-17 05:15 PM
    I have never had any real issues with moving files around from cloud to device to pc to NAS. All can be handled very easily using Solid, Asus or any other FM that is worth a grain of salt
    03-27-17 05:17 PM
    I fooled around with it some more and now it works again!
    03-27-17 05:42 PM
    Use Solid Explorer. It makes the BB10 file manager look like a kindergarten project.
    While Solid Explorer is pretty good, it's not anywhere near as good as BB10 file explorer.
    03-27-17 05:51 PM
    where does solid fall short of BB10? I found it could do everything BB10 could
    03-27-17 05:53 PM
    While Solid Explorer is pretty good, it's not anywhere near as good as BB10 file explorer.
    Wow. Split screens, drag and drop, themes, cloud sources, ftp, webdav, lan/smb, and every cloud source known to man (which you can also password protect).
    03-27-17 06:28 PM
    Wow. Split screens, drag and drop, themes, cloud sources, ftp, webdav, lan/smb, and every cloud source known to man (which you can also password protect).
    I do agree that Solid Explorer has more features, but I find that BB10 file explorer just works so much better and is much easier to use.
    03-27-17 06:31 PM
    I do agree that Solid Explorer has more features, but I find that BB10 file explorer just works so much better and is much easier to use.
    Now I'm curious. Define "works SO much better".

Excellent file management is one of the most important features that I need. One swipe up from anywhere and voila. Oh, and "select all".
    03-27-17 06:33 PM

Excellent file management is one of the most important features that I need. One swipe up from anywhere and voila. Oh, and "select all".
    While the Android app version offer more, BB10 did it pure ease.

I don't keep anything on the cloud so that extra stuff isn't valuable to me but I know I'm the minority.

Everything on Android is 2-3 more steps. I'm so tempted to switch back to the Passport.
    03-27-17 06:53 PM
    Select all.
    03-27-17 07:12 PM
    Everything on Android is 2-3 more steps. I'm so tempted to switch back to the Passport.
    How so? One swipe up from the bottom launches the file manager from any screen or app.

DTEK60 / Z30
    03-27-17 07:21 PM

" Works much better"... means something as simple as being able to choose where one wants to save a file.

When opening a received attachment, whether it be a picture or .pdf... when choosing to save it, Andoid does not let you choose where to save it.

If the file is opened in BBM then it auto saves to BBM folder... if in Messenger then Messenger folder, etc. Then you have to go searching for it just to cut and paste it where you want it.

VERY inefficient.

Gadgets like split screens, etc. do no good if file management can't perform such basic functions.

And that doesn't even begin to address the root permission issue that is being experienced by many.

Basically, my DTEK60 file management options are non existent.
    03-27-17 07:22 PM
    " Works much better"... means something as simple as being able to choose where one wants to save a file.

When opening a received attachment, whether it be a picture or .pdf... when choosing to save it, Andoid does not let you choose where to save it.

If the file is opened in BBM then it auto saves to BBM folder... if in Messenger then Messenger folder, etc. Then you have to go searching for it just to cut and paste it where you want it.

VERY inefficient.

Gadgets like split screens, etc. do no good if file management can't perform such basic functions.

And that doesn't even begin to address the root permission issue that is being experienced by many.

Basically, my DTEK60 file management options are non existent.
    The discussion was about the file manager itself. How OTHER apps choose to deal with saving files is on them.

This is small potatoes to me compared to cloud sources, webdav, ftp, and password protection.

DTEK60 / Z30
    03-27-17 07:28 PM
    Yep. I used solid for about three days in a 30 day free trial. Bought pro on day 3 , doesn't get any easier
    03-27-17 07:40 PM
    The discussion was about the file manager itself. How OTHER apps choose to deal with saving files is on them.

This is small potatoes to me compared to cloud sources, webdav, ftp, and password protection.

DTEK60 / Z30
    The discussion is about Android file management. And if ya can't save an open file where you want to... that right there is the beginning of an extremely poor system.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    03-27-17 07:51 PM
    The discussion is about Android file management. And if ya can't save an open file where you want to... that right there is the beginning of an extremely poor system.
    "Why is it so hard to move files around with a file manager"
    03-27-17 07:54 PM
    "Why is it so hard to move files around with a file manager"
    Well firsly, I can't because of the ridiculous root permission issue that is unresolved for many.

But further... that is a ridiculous amount of extra time for folks that work all day long with many dozens of files received from multiple sources.

Not to mention that some files get buried in obscure places making them very difficult to find.
    03-27-17 08:06 PM
    Well firsly, I can't because of the ridiculous root permission issue that is unresolved for many.

But further... that is a ridiculous amount of extra time for folks that work all day long with many dozens of files received from multiple sources.

Not to mention that some files get buried in obscure places making them very difficult to find.
    Actually there isn't a root permission issue. Sorry this is user error. I will admit, some file managers make it a bit confusing how to give the permission the first time. But you only have to do it once.
    As for the other post someone made about not being able to save files to SD card and the example was BBM, well that a BBM issue not Android.
    03-27-17 08:19 PM
31 12