DISCLAIMER: I swear this topic has been covered elsewhere, but unable to find after searching.

Messages app on my wife's LG G4 (Marshmallow 6.0) is acting up (responses to group texts come in as separate threads), so figured I would replace the app as part of preparing my eventual move to Android.

Read several "Best of....." articles, and ended up installing Android Messages and Textra (might add Yaata to the mix later). Letting her play with Textra for a week or so, then will switch to Android Messages.

After playing with them a little myself, I don't understand why anyone would bother replacing the Messages app at all. Seems the only difference from stock is customizing the look. I see zero additional functionality.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057

P.S. - Replacing her Messages app did not resolve the issue. She has others, so thinking I need to wipe and reinstall Android, but that's another topic for another day.
    01-01-18 09:32 PM
    DISCLAIMER: I swear this topic has been covered elsewhere, but unable to find after searching.

Messages app on my wife's LG G4 (Marshmallow 6.0) is acting up (responses to group texts come in as separate threads), so figured I would replace the app as part of preparing my eventual move to Android.

Read several "Best of....." articles, and ended up installing Android Messages and Textra (might add Yaata to the mix later). Letting her play with Textra for a week or so, then will switch to Android Messages.

After playing with them a little myself, I don't understand why anyone would bother replacing the Messages app at all. Seems the only difference from stock is customizing the look. I see zero additional functionality.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057

P.S. - Replacing her Messages app did not resolve the issue. She has others, so thinking I need to wipe and reinstall Android, but that's another topic for another day.
    Using the same device as yours for almost 3 years.
    Installing Google Messages and it's works all the time.
    01-01-18 09:44 PM
    Because we hate being forced to look at flashing blue lights?
    01-02-18 09:23 AM