Hello, been running Waze on my new Classic and the phone gets really hot after a short while. When driving on the highway for about 30 mins from a 80% charge it dropped to the 60% level! When I checked Device Monitor, it said Waze was using 8% out of all of my apps! Is this normal, or does Waze run on anyone's BB10 without any massive power drains?

I restarted the phone to "clear" it and haven't been able to test out Waze since.
    02-20-16 07:59 PM
    i would think that's about right if you are using it constantly as it has to search for data....and apps running like that will heat up a phone. Especially the Android version.....
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-21-16 09:18 AM
    I'd say that's normal with a mapping app that is constantly updating and using GPS. Most smartphone OS's save on battery life by aggressively entering sleep states. The GPS radio is receiving signals from three or four different satellites while constantly updating. If the Android runtime is not as efficient at doing this as hardware designed to run Android natively then it would exacerbate the issue. I wouldn't use a GPS app for very long in a car without plugging it in.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-21-16 09:30 AM
    Okay, thank you both. I was puzzled since I tested BlackBerry's native app (ugh) and it barely went over 2% consumption over 10-15 minutes so I thought there must have been something wrong with my phone. This clears it up some.
    02-21-16 10:34 PM
    Actually using just about anything on a a BBOS10 phone through the android app is going to heat it up and drain the battery pretty quickly.

I liked that I could run Android apps (well some of them lol) however it was never something that I could claim as smooth. I am sure that this sort of app would have been a pig.
    02-23-16 07:30 AM
    That's true . I was so hoping that wasn't the case because some Android apps I use like Spotify and Pixlr run almost as good as native. I ran Spotify in the background while taking a 10-15 min walk and it only drained the battery about 1-2%. I use Pixlr heavily for my photo editing needs and it would drain the battery almost as much as if I used Effetica.

I guess Waze couldn't be in that list of exceptions (and rightfully so after hearing about all the processes it does driving me to the local eatery ).
    02-23-16 09:17 PM
    Hello, been running Waze on my new Classic and the phone gets really hot after a short while. When driving on the highway for about 30 mins from a 80% charge it dropped to the 60% level! When I checked Device Monitor, it said Waze was using 8% out of all of my apps! Is this normal, or does Waze run on anyone's BB10 without any massive power drains?

I restarted the phone to "clear" it and haven't been able to test out Waze since.
    I have a Passport and eventually had to uninstall Waze as it was just too power hungry unless plugged in, of course. But I just felt it was making my device too hot. There are other apps you can try, one of them being Maps.Me ( in Blackberry World) and it runs openstreet. I use it mostly as an offline walking map but of course you can use it in your car. Just a suggestion to check out. Other choices include BeMaps 10 Pro (paid Google Maps in BBW) and OsmAnd (also BBW). Most of these lack some local content but I find them pretty good (especially Maps.Me). Good luck!
    02-23-16 09:50 PM
    Wow, if someone with the all-wonderful battery of the Passport had to unistall it, what chance does my little old Classic have??? Lol.

Thank you for the suggestions, will most definitely check those out. Though Waze I like so much as it gives me seamless live traffic updates and traffic hazards as I drive. It just feels so "alive" to me. I try to manage it in short bursts but I concur that it gets my phone very hot, and that can't be good if I want to use this phone for a long time with it having a non-removable battery (or non-easily removable battery I should say).
    02-23-16 09:58 PM