Hmmmm it must be Android doing that. I'm running BB10 so I don't have Google PS either, but I can still download the apk file to my device and install it.

Have you tried saving the apk file to your phone, instead of trying to install it online?

I've been out of the country and only now have been able to try this suggestion - the Telegram website says I cannot install the app from Telegram.org as I haven't the Google Play store. I have the Google ID which is correctly registered.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    08-03-19 09:24 PM
    You might have to help me with that one - I go to the Telegram.org website and choose 'apps'. The only options I have there are the source code from github or to choose the Android app. The latter takes me to a Google Play webpage where 'install' is the only button. Clicking that means I get the Play Store error. Am I missing something obvious to download the apk?
    08-04-19 04:32 PM
    My apologies for confusing you. I have Telegram for Desktop (Windows) in addition to a mobile version. I downloaded the Windows version from telegram.org.

I downloaded the Android apk file from an apk repository, and since that first install, I was able to apply updates from within the Telegram app.

The following link goes to a page which has a linked apk you can download to your Q10.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/telegr...-apk-download/

Scroll to the bottom of that page and click the "Download APK" button to save the file to your device. After it is fully downloaded, find the file on your device and double-click to install.

It's the latest version of Telegram (5.9) and is a variant which will run on any device which has Android Runtime 4.1 or greater. BB10 devices are stuck at Android Runtime 4.3, so it will run on a BB10 device or on a newer device running Android OS.

Apologies again for forgetting which version I downloaded from where. Let me know how you make out!

You might have to help me with that one - I go to the Telegram.org website and choose 'apps'. The only options I have there are the source code from github or to choose the Android app. The latter takes me to a Google Play webpage where 'install' is the only button. Clicking that means I get the Play Store error. Am I missing something obvious to download the apk?

08-04-19 09:41 PM
    Thanks again for the clear instructions, Ragbert. I've downloaded the apk you linked to the Q10, but despite numerous tries, when I try to open it I simply get the error 'unable to open file'. I've checked I'm downloading the 'Telegram 5.9.0 (Android 4.1+)', which is the file listed on the 'thank you for downloading' page. Any ideas?
    08-24-19 11:52 AM
    Open the Q10 Settings, and choose App Manager. Then tap "Installing Apps". Find the toggle for "Allow Apps from Other Sources to Be Installed" and make sure it is set to ON. Then back out of Settings and try double-clicking that apk file you downloaded again. Any luck now?

Thanks again for the clear instructions, Ragbert. I've downloaded the apk you linked to the Q10, but despite numerous tries, when I try to open it I simply get the error 'unable to open file'. I've checked I'm downloading the 'Telegram 5.9.0 (Android 4.1+)', which is the file listed on the 'thank you for downloading' page. Any ideas?

08-27-19 10:39 PM
    I'm afraid that option has always been turned on. I'm trying now to download it from my laptop and transfer it to the Q10. It doesn't matter if it's in the media card or the internal memory, I'm guessing?
    08-29-19 04:41 AM
    Well... it will install Telegram to your device and not to your media card,so you want to have plenty of room in your internal memory for that. Once it's installed though, you can define the "gallery" Telegram uses to store media (photos, video, gifs, etc) as located on your media card. But in the beginning you should have the apk file on your device and install it from there too.

I'm afraid that option has always been turned on. I'm trying now to download it from my laptop and transfer it to the Q10. It doesn't matter if it's in the media card or the internal memory, I'm guessing?

08-29-19 08:25 PM
    I meant that I hoped it didn't matter which memory I stored the downloaded apk in - it seems not, as I have some progress! Some progress in that transferring it from the laptop means it opens and starts to install. However, I then hit the original problem I had with the TeleBBM where it gets halfway and then tells me I have no space. I actually have 1.75GB free on the card, and 8.15GB free on the device. Bizarre.
    08-30-19 01:36 AM
    Any progress is good! Not sure about the space issue, though - it seems as if you have more than you'd need. Have you installed anything else recently (successfully or unsuccessfully)? Have you tried re-booting your device before doing the Telegram installation? Hold down both the Vol+ and Vol- buttons at the same time until the screen goes black, and then let go and wait for the device to completely reboot. Then try to install again.

I meant that I hoped it didn't matter which memory I stored the downloaded apk in - it seems not, as I have some progress! Some progress in that transferring it from the laptop means it opens and starts to install. However, I then hit the original problem I had with the TeleBBM where it gets halfway and then tells me I have no space. I actually have 1.75GB free on the card, and 8.15GB free on the device. Bizarre.

08-31-19 10:43 PM
    It's the same problem I had originally with the TeleBBM download. It proceeds halfway, I 'accept' the 'allow Telegram to access...etc.', then it fails with the no space error. I tried your trick of restarting with the volume controls, but the error is the same. I think I last installed a light-metering programme from Blackberry World, which was fine. The only other thing I've had on there is a guitar chords library. I haven't had any issues with any other part of the operating system or downloading files like PDFs.

I did wonder if the reason the previous download failed to open was because it had a very long file name, and thus the 'phone didn't recognise it as an apk. With the one I have now that I transferred from the laptop, I renamed it before transfer to be much shorter.
    09-01-19 07:14 AM
    Maybe try downloading it again- you may have. a corrupted file there. Or download it from a different apk repository.

09-01-19 10:06 AM
    The 'no space' error has happened with the TeleBBM, and both the Telegram apk you linked and the later version now available on the apk mirror. I've downloaded it enough times to thinkit can only be some software fault with my BB10. Is there some rollback or reset that might help, without losing everything I have on the 'phone? I don't know what other options there are. As my friends are on Telegram rather than BBM now, it would be quite handy to get it working!
    09-01-19 10:10 AM
    What version of the software is your Q10 running? (Type "myver" without the quotes)

09-01-19 10:53 AM
    Doing that brings up the BlackBerry Helper (which perhaps it should, but I've turned it off so that command doesn't work for me).

In 'Settings' I have 'Software Release 10.3.2.2836' - is that what you were after?
    09-05-19 10:46 AM
    Hmmmm."myver" plus a space should automatically print your version, and "mypin" should automatically print your phone's PIN. No help file needed.

Anyhoooo your OS is old- the latest for BB10 is 10.3.3.xxxx. I can't guarantee that upgrading will solve your install issue, but many updates and patches came out between what you're running and what I'm running (ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.3.3204) and I'm not 100% sure mine is the most recent either. (I think it is, though)

If you do update, ***back up your device first*** because once you install 10.3.3 you cannot go back to 10.3.2.

I also think I've seen other posts in CB about declarations of "not enough room to install" so I'm going to search and see if there was a solution.

Doing that brings up the BlackBerry Helper (which perhaps it should, but I've turned it off so that command doesn't work for me).

In 'Settings' I have 'Software Release 10.3.2.2836' - is that what you were after?

09-06-19 07:55 PM
    Have you tried this solution by @gravesend60? He also was running 10.3.2 at the time. Worth a shot...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1096362

09-09-19 12:16 AM
    I'm sorry for the delay - not for lack of interest, I assure you! Since July I've had three days at home, but travelling is now over. I'm surprised at the OS being out of date - I have run the 'check for updates' before and it hasn't found any. Should I have been doing it another way?

I haven't tried that solution - in the Q10, I would have to pull the battery again to get the SD card in. I can try shutting down, starting up without the card, shutting down again then starting up with the card in...

Otherwise, presumably I should be running the latest OS so how do I go about installing that update if the 'phone itself doesn't think there's an available update?
    10-19-19 02:10 PM
    When you tell your phone to check for updates, it only checks to see if your carrier has any to send "over the air" directly to your phone. But carriers are notorious for not sending updates in a timely fashion, and your phone can say there aren't any, even when BlackBerry issued some weeks/months before.

At this late date, I doubt any carriers are sending BB10 updates anymore. I saw just yesterday on the Verizon website that the Q10 is officially no longer supported by Verizon (although the Classic still is, oddly enough). So at this point the only way to update your phone is to sideload an update with a tool like Sachesi (there are other excellent tools available as well, but Sachesi is the one I used for years and am the most familiar with). This isn't difficult- it involves installing the tool onto a Windows PC, hooking up your phone to the PC by USB, and letting Sachesi search for any updates for your model/carrier/location, and then install those updates to your phone over the connection you made. (Apps which can't be found in the Appstore can often be installed by sideloading as well.)

For more info about Sachesi (where to download it, how to use it, etc) - read the FIRST post of this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=825409

The nice thing about Sachesi is that updating your phone's OS this way won't wipe the phone (although it's always a good idea to make a backup first anyway).

There's another way to update or reinstall the OS on your device: with something called an autoloader. This is a file which WILL wipe your phone completely and cleanly install the latest version of the OS. If your OS has become corrupted or if things no longer work as they used to, an autoloader can let you start over again with a clean install. But you'd want to back everything up first. If you decide you want to go that route, say the word and there are several people on these forums who can give you a link to an autoloader for your model.

No worries about your travel schedule - we all have busy lives. Glad you're getting a breather now!

I'm sorry for the delay - not for lack of interest, I assure you! Since July I've had three days at home, but travelling is now over. I'm surprised at the OS being out of date - I have run the 'check for updates' before and it hasn't found any. Should I have been doing it another way?

I haven't tried that solution - in the Q10, I would have to pull the battery again to get the SD card in. I can try shutting down, starting up without the card, shutting down again then starting up with the card in...

Otherwise, presumably I should be running the latest OS so how do I go about installing that update if the 'phone itself doesn't think there's an available update?

Last edited by Ragbert; 10-19-19 at 11:34 PM.
    10-19-19 11:20 PM
    Thank you. I've just been struggling with Sachesi today - no matter what I did, 2.0.4 kept the circle spinning with the 'talking to devices...' message. I've got it working with 2.0.3 instead.

Do you have a suggestion for how to find the right files? On the 'search' tab, it starts up with a 'success, a new version has been found' type screen, but that's for the Z30+Classic SQC 100-4, whereas I have the Q10 SQN 100-3. Choosing this model, along with my country code and carrier (234-20, UK & 3) shows no updates available. Is there a known carrier and country combination I can try to get the latest OS, which hopefully will enable me to finally try TeleBBM? (I know, I'd almost forgotten why I started on this quest!)
    10-29-19 10:43 AM
    This might help?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code

When I used Sachesi, I usually found the updates I needed by searching in countries and carriers other than my own. (I'm in the US where carriers were notorious for not providing timely updates.) I think the Canadian carriers usually came through.

If that doesn't work,an autoloader is your best bet for a clean and up to date OS install.

11-02-19 06:59 AM
    I was using that for the UK, which came up with nothing. Eventually I found a Canadian one as you suggested and now have a Q10 that says it's running 10.3.3.2137. However, you guessed it, 'not enough space'. It looks like this autoloader option is now the way to go. This is the equivalent of a format and reinstall of Windows, if we're talking PCs, isn't it? So I have to download a programme and image, make sure everything is backed up and then run it.
    11-20-19 07:54 AM
    Your PC analogy is correct. An autoloader will give you a clean install of the latest OS version of your device.

You want to back up everything first, then download the autoloader to a Windows PC (not to your phone) and unpack/unzip it.
    https://mega.nz/#!JohjGQLB!BZM7uf0v0...sndRyGLiIcEvv8

Then plug your phone into your PC with a USB cord. Finally, double-click the exe file on your PC and wait while it wipes and installs the OS to your phone.

I was using that for the UK, which came up with nothing. Eventually I found a Canadian one as you suggested and now have a Q10 that says it's running 10.3.3.2137. However, you guessed it, 'not enough space'. It looks like this autoloader option is now the way to go. This is the equivalent of a format and reinstall of Windows, if we're talking PCs, isn't it? So I have to download a programme and image, make sure everything is backed up and then run it.

Last edited by Ragbert; 11-23-19 at 03:11 AM.
    11-23-19 02:42 AM
    Well, the autoloader did the trick. TeleBBM is installed after a fresh installation of the OS. Now it's complaining that 'it might stop working soon' as it's an older version than currently. Happy days!

Many thanks for all your help, Ragbert.
    12-04-19 06:23 AM
    Great news! Glad to be of help, and maybe I'll see you in Telegram, too!

Well, the autoloader did the trick. TeleBBM is installed after a fresh installation of the OS. Now it's complaining that 'it might stop working soon' as it's an older version than currently. Happy days!

Many thanks for all your help, Ragbert.

12-07-19 02:22 AM
    Bumper pool:

I can't edit the first post in this thread, but if you're new to Telegram or to TeleBBM, you can join wu-wei's Telegram channel, where he posts the latest updates to both TeleBBM and PlusBBM (all links are within the Telegram app):

His channel: https://t.me/TeleBBM

TeleBBM: https://t.me/TeleBBM/101

PlusBBM: https://t.me/TeleBBM/100

Or chat with him here: https://t.me/TeleBBM_Chat

Hi Ragbert, I am looking for a way to replace bbm and teleBBM could do the trick. As I dont have telegram yet I cant join the group yet. Would it be possible to post the current link to download the modified app? Thanks a lot.
    01-06-22 08:07 AM
76 1234