The Facebook app is a well known battery hog and a google search turns up forum posts and articles that go way back. To this end I have always used metal pro on android. I have used the official app on iOS recently and whilst not terrible it is one of the thirstiest apps on that platform too.

The app though is updated regularly so I am wondering if there have been any improvements made and what is the android app like in November 2016? Still a vampire app or ok? I am curious as there are some advantages to using the official app
    11-06-16 11:09 AM
    The Facebook app is a well known battery hog and a google search turns up forum posts and articles that go way back. To this end I have always used metal pro on android. I have used the official app on iOS recently and whilst not terrible it is one of the thirstiest apps on that platform too.

The app though is updated regularly so I am wondering if there have been any improvements made and what is the android app like in November 2016? Still a vampire app or ok? I am curious as there are some advantages to using the official app
    You're posting from the future!

Also, yes. Facebook app is terrible. It will always drain battery because it is always data gathering.

People who say it doesn't are idiots.

Stick to metal, or a browser shortcut.
    11-06-16 11:33 AM
    Lol...... November 2016 not November 16th

So either their development team are idiots are they just don't give a damn. To be fair the iOS version is not great either probably just less bad due to the tighter QC on the Apple side.
    11-06-16 01:24 PM
    There are a couple of threads on this. FB is a definite battery hog for me on my Priv. I'm using the browser.
    11-08-16 11:47 PM
    I u
    Just use the

I just use the Web version, don't like how often the app access my contacts, etc
    11-20-16 08:41 PM
    Facebook was a battery hog right from the start when I got my Priv.
    But what surprised me: Facebook messenger wasn't, but with a recent update turned into one. Not as bad as the full app, but considerably more CPU usage than e.g. the hub-service, though the hub shows to have transferred both more WiFi and mobile data packets. What has happened?
    11-21-16 03:44 AM
    And I thought that going from my Z10 to the Priv I would start using the app instead of the Web shortcut. I guess I still be using the shortcut after all.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-16 09:35 AM
    Looks like the battery problems are solved. I reinstalled the Facebook app yesterday and it doesn't appear in the battery usage list at all if I don't use it. (I disabled all notifications)
    Same for Facebook messenger. Seems to work hog-less ;-) now ...
    12-13-16 02:25 PM
    It's gotten to the point where I refuse to install Facebook or Facebook Messenger on any Android phone I have. The last time I installed it, even with location services and all notifications off, it still was responsible for about 20% of the total battery usage on the phone. Not at all worth it IMO.
    12-17-16 05:18 AM
    As I said: a month ago it was bad, but with the current version it's fine.
    I just checked: my last full charge is 22 hours ago, I had it for 3 hours at the charger while driving and using navigation, so it only charged 5% extra, but I'm still at 30%. And in the list of the battery monitor neither the Facebook nor the Facebook messenger app show up at all. (I have all notifications disabled, except messages)
    12-17-16 07:20 AM
    Today morning the Facebook and Messenger app begin to drain my battery very fast. I don't use the app.
    Before today the battery consumption was ok.
    Anyone experiencing this?
    01-10-17 03:01 AM
    Yep, both are back to being battery hogs. Interestingly neither app is being kept awake but still managing to drain the battery.
    01-10-17 03:39 AM
    Use swipe for facebook
    01-10-17 12:59 PM
    Use Facebook Lite. Much better on battery. It was designed for countries without LTE. Not sure your location because it isn't available in all countries but easy to install using a VPN logging in to the playstore from your computer and sending it to your phone.
    01-11-17 01:22 AM