Signal version 4.12.3 - Nov 12th 2017

Wont install under Colbalts Playstore. EM: Not compatible with your device

Playstore states: Requires Android 4.0 and up ??

Very sad to see Signal go, I doubt there's any workaround knowing OWS. They are pretty anal.

Looks like its Telegram for Encrypted comms on BB10 from now on. TG wont phase out old devices for years.
    Last edited by teknofish; 11-18-17 at 09:50 PM.
    11-18-17 09:22 PM
    Got it working, direct APK d/l from https://signal.org/android/apk/

SMS verif fails just use the 'Call Me' function.

No idea why my sideloaded Play Store is rejecting my device. Anyone else experiencing this?
    11-19-17 03:38 PM

No idea why my sideloaded Play Store is rejecting my device. Anyone else experiencing this?
    You probably just had a bad download.
    11-19-17 03:54 PM

Sorry to wake up this old thread, but what's the status on this?
    Is the GCM-free version of Signal now working on a Blackberry Classic?
    If so, does it need cobalt's Google Play services installed or not?
    Where should I retrieve the apk from?
    There is one available for download from OWS directly, and I was under the impression that it was the GCM-free version (while the one from Play Store would be the regular one, of course), but someone in this thread mentioned that he installed it from Google Play store?
    I installed the apk downloaded from OWS on my mother's BB Classic, which was newly reset before that. I was able to register via Sms and she also sent and received some messages. She also has the "background service running" notification from Signal.
    However, she hasn't been receiving any messages that were sent to her in the past week.
    Reboot the phone and restarting Signal isn't helping.
    I'll be grateful for any hints!
    10-25-18 06:44 PM
    Unlike WhatsApp Signal works on Blackberry 10, such as Passport. First take the apk through "Play Services Patcher for Blackberry 10" on your desktop. Then copy-paste the patched apk to your phone via a cable and open it on your phone.
    01-30-19 05:15 AM
    Unlike WhatsApp Signal works on Blackberry 10, such as Passport. First take the apk through "Play Services Patcher for Blackberry 10" on your desktop. Then copy-paste the patched apk to your phone via a cable and open it on your phone.
    So the apk sideloaded directly from OWS did start to work after all, without the need to patch it, and has been mostly working ok since, but the most recent version Signal 4.39.4 refuses to install at all (just something like "this package cannot be installed").
    I haven't looked into the patching because it worked without it, but I'm wondering if current versions of Signal simply shut out the old Android that's running in BB10.
    Anybody got any updates on this?
    05-15-19 12:13 PM
    So the apk sideloaded directly from OWS did start to work after all, without the need to patch it, and has been mostly working ok since, but the most recent version Signal 4.39.4 refuses to install at all (just something like "this package cannot be installed").
    I haven't looked into the patching because it worked without it, but I'm wondering if current versions of Signal simply shut out the old Android that's running in BB10.
    Benny: I run Signal 4.38.3.apk (patched and installed 28 April 2018). I do not update all the time (too frequent as I have to patch every time), but when I do I always save the patched apk on my comp. If a new version of an app doesn't work I simply reinstall the latest one that does work. By the way, https://blackberrydroidstore.com/ has just launched WhatsApp for BB. Their (PayPal) payment system has a hickup for Europeans, so I haven't tried it yet.

Even better: from another post: I can't really believe what just happened!!!

Typed whatsapp Web and went to the website, downloaded the android version on my passport, installed the apk, and it worked!!!!!

Go people!
    05-15-19 02:12 PM
    Check this thread: https://forums.crackberry.com/ask-qu.../#post13390402
    05-15-19 02:29 PM
    Except that's not gonna work for very long, because outdated versions of Signal just stop working after a while, they don't get access to the service any longer. So if what you're saying is correct, than it's just good bye Signal on Blackberry OS .
    05-15-19 07:17 PM