VPN, not "von". Love auto-correct!!

Is security and privacy really there on private vpns? Aren't those just as easily hacked or just as easily "unmasked" ( to use a good word for today) and sold off as any other internet network? I would use one but I'm not so convinced ...but I am not at all an expert on this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Edit: thanks to all for the answers, much appreciated.
    Last edited by stanfordprof; 04-05-17 at 10:20 PM.
    04-04-17 09:00 AM
    A VPN generically is more secure than using regular internet services. HOWEVER..... choosing a VPN is where things tend to break down. These days, there's hundreds of VPN providers out there and thousands of free VPN services, most of which are no better than not having a VPN. Choosing the RIGHT VPN is a crucial step.. otherwise it's just like locking your door but leaving the keys there.

https://mic.com/articles/172654/how-...acy#.YLt15gqmy
    04-04-17 09:39 AM
    VPN, not "von". Love auto-correct!!

Is security and privacy really there on private vpns? Aren't those just as easily hacked or just as easily "unmasked" ( to use a good word for today) and sold off as any other internet network? I would use one but I'm not so convinced ...but I am not at all an expert on this sort of thing.

Thanks!
    If you're concerned with your ISP tracking your browsing, then you are right. The VPN could start tracking you in exactly same way you were trying to prevent your ISP.

That said, you do get a much larger selection of VPN providers than ISPs. You can choose a VPN located in a country with better privacy laws than your country.

If you're concerned about privacy, you'll likely want to stay clear of anything offering lifetime deals for low prices (like CrackBerry keeps advertising). Obviously "free" VPNs are not a good idea either.
    04-04-17 09:43 AM
    If you're concerned with your ISP tracking your browsing, then you are right. The VPN could start tracking you in exactly same way you were trying to prevent your ISP.

That said, you do get a much larger selection of VPN providers than ISPs. You can choose a VPN located in a country with better privacy laws than your country.

If you're concerned about privacy, you'll likely want to stay clear of anything offering lifetime deals for low prices (like CrackBerry keeps advertising). Obviously "free" VPNs are not a good idea either.
    Even though the keep solid vpn that was advertised here is listed as one of the best in the article bla1ze posted. I have to say, their customer service is rapid and helpful. As to whether they do a good job, I guess I don't know 100%.
    04-04-17 09:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I almost bought one (VPN) CB advertised earlier. Haha.
    04-04-17 05:42 PM
    Guess the sure way to avoid eavesdropping is to set up your own VPN server at home with a cheap NAT perhaps. That will not help those trying to use VPN to hide true location though.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 12:53 AM
    Guess the sure way to avoid eavesdropping is to set up your own VPN server at home with a cheap NAT perhaps. That will not help those trying to use VPN to hide true location though.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't help if your goal is to prevent your home ISP from spying on you.
    04-05-17 08:01 AM
    Bought VPNunlimuted Lifetime works fine after ISP threat... works fine ( just added 5 more Infinity feature Lifetime) but blocks one of my security camera systems (Digital Watchdog) while other (Dahua) works fine... Security alarm systems (Honeywell/Ademco & RiscoGroup Agility 3) all fine. How to fix the one not OK ?For now I just log off VPN to view cameras at that site...
    04-05-17 03:03 PM
    Here's an article re a vpn scam, but also mentioning Freedome vpn as trustworthy:
    https://www.troyhunt.com/the-importa...agship_android
    04-13-17 09:40 PM
    Anyone know anything about Freedome?
    04-13-17 09:42 PM