If you want privacy - the control of that is presently better on a nexus...
    11-09-15 02:29 PM
    Whether or not the PRIV can be rooted or not is the question.

Even if it was rooted wouldn't the device fail the software check at boot up and lock?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-09-15 02:43 PM
    here you go. don't know the source, but the guys says there are 4 of them, doesn't give much detail on who loaded it.

starts at 4:45min
    That's a classic leak fail. Somebody that had a test Passport with Android allowed a dude with too much free time some private time with the device. He does say he has to ship the unit back, so we can get that much about the source.
    11-11-15 07:23 PM
    That's a classic leak fail. Somebody that had a test Passport with Android allowed a dude with too much free time some private time with the device. He does say he has to ship the unit back, so we can get that much about the source.
    It's loaded in, someone somewere, even if Blackberry headquarters, so it's possible. There are iphone running Android and vice versa. Someone that's familiar with Blackberry security even if only the ones that developed it.

Again, I won't put my hands on the fire, but I believe that there's no "un-rootable" device, just ones a lot more difficult than others
    11-12-15 09:33 AM
    It's loaded in, someone somewere, even if Blackberry headquarters, so it's possible.
    It was loaded by someone IN BlackBerry Headquarters. When you control the hardware, anything is possible. Moot point.

There are iphone running Android and vice versa. Someone that's familiar with Blackberry security even if only the ones that developed it.
    I'll try to be gentle: Citation needed.
    11-12-15 09:39 AM
    It was loaded by someone IN BlackBerry Headquarters. When you control the hardware, anything is possible. Moot point.

I'll try to be gentle: Citation needed.
    Blackberry headquarters isn't jail, people get in and out, information goes in and out... does "leaks" tell you anything?

The question is not if it's going to happen or not, the question IS and always was if it's possible or not.

It's like putting a modern mercedes V12 in a Jeep. Probably nobody did it, for sure isn't easy, can't it be done? I doubt...
    11-12-15 10:08 AM
    Blackberry headquarters isn't jail, people get in and out, information goes in and out... does "leaks" tell you anything?
    Your original point remains moot. The fact leaks happen has nothing to do with what is possible or not when a company that controls the hardware and the bootloader.

The question is not if it's going to happen or not, the question IS and always was if it's possible or not.
    You're right, the question was never if it were going to happen. I certainly didn't ask that, nor did you. This statement has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Questioning the possibility of something everyone knew was possible, specially in light of proof of such (the Passport running Android shown on video) is a failure in logic in itself.

Moreover, if you are tying to link this (Android on Passport) to hacking a device, you're wrong. Plain and simple. No hacking was needed. BlackBerry has access to its own bootloader and they could have MS DOS running on the Passport if they so choose to.

It's like putting a modern mercedes V12 in a Jeep. Probably nobody did it, for sure isn't easy, can't it be done? I doubt...
    You're new to the whole debate thing aren't you? Also, still waiting for that citation...
    11-12-15 11:59 AM
    Can you put a Mercedes engine inside a Jeep? The engine should be significantly longer than what the engine bay can support, meaning you would have to cut into the firewall and replace the radiator or it's fan. Plus the engine is designed for torque at high speeds not climbing a mountain at 5km/hr, where it would have to be able to handle completely different strains and heat profiles. Even if you got it to work (which I doubt) it would be a horrible Jeep and I horrible sports car.

Please refrain from using unrelated comparisons to avoid defending your claims directly.
    11-12-15 12:34 PM
    Your original point remains moot. The fact leaks happen has nothing to do with what is possible or not when a company that controls the hardware and the bootloader.

You're right, the question was never if it were going to happen. I certainly didn't ask that, nor did you. This statement has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Questioning the possibility of something everyone knew was possible, specially in light of proof of such (the Passport running Android shown on video) is a failure in logic in itself.

Moreover, if you are tying to link this (Android on Passport) to hacking a device, you're wrong. Plain and simple. No hacking was needed. BlackBerry has access to its own bootloader and they could have MS DOS running on the Passport if they so choose to.

You're new to the whole debate thing aren't you? Also, still waiting for that citation...
    don't they jailbreak the iphone too? it's protected aswell, apple tried to stop jailbreaking with several updates. Don't knew if they need special access or not, and it doesn't really matter.
    11-12-15 12:46 PM
    Can you put a Mercedes engine inside a Jeep? The engine should be significantly longer than what the engine bay can support, meaning you would have to cut into the firewall and replace the radiator or it's fan. Plus the engine is designed for torque at high speeds not climbing a mountain at 5km/hr, where it would have to be able to handle completely different strains and heat profiles. Even if you got it to work (which I doubt) it would be a horrible Jeep and I horrible sports car.

Please refrain from using unrelated comparisons to avoid defending your claims directly.
    "When there's a will, theres a way"

Mercedes puts a twin turbo V12 into this, so theres enought room to put in in a jeep thats bigger.:

Well, in fact, Jeep has the SRT model with a V10 from the factory, a 8.4 liter V10, the V12 from mercedes is 6.0, so it might be smaller than the V10 that the jeep already has. here's a wrangler with a 8.4 liter V10 aswell:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../ViperJeep.jpg
    Obviously this kind of engine in a car likes this is about the bragging rights. It's not terrible as the mercedes G65 proves, but isn't exactly usefull either.

The hill climb at 5kph is irrelevant, because both engines idle about the same RPM. What makes those 4x4 climb with ease is a low range box and available traction, you don't need much torque (you should say HP instead) to climb in 1st gear.

If you want to be even more amazed, there are PLENTY of mazda miata's with V8 conversion. This one has an LS7 wich is a 7 liter engine in a tiny car.
    Black Ice likes this.
    11-12-15 12:53 PM

Wait no more.
    Here's your iphone running android:

here's how to do it:
    How to Install Android on Your iPhone | PCWorld
    11-12-15 01:18 PM
    don't they jailbreak the iphone too? it's protected aswell, apple tried to stop jailbreaking with several updates. Don't knew if they need special access or not, and it doesn't really matter.
    You failed to support any of your positions and keep throwing random statements to try to distract us from this fact. That's bad faith on your part. I'm forced to conclude you just want to derail the thread.

At least you provided the link to the iDroid. Very interesting stuff. Reminds me when they were running WebOS on Nexus devices. It only proves my point. When you have access to the bootloader, you can install whatever you want there. Do notice the tutorial states very clearly how specific you have to go (both hardware and software wise) to accomplish that.
    11-12-15 01:34 PM
    You failed to support any of your positions and keep throwing random statements to try to distract us from this fact. That's bad faith on your part. I'm forced to conclude you just want to derail the thread.

At least you provided the link to the iDroid. Very interesting stuff. Reminds me when they were running WebOS on Nexus devices. It only proves my point. When you have access to the bootloader, you can install whatever you want there. Do notice the tutorial states very clearly how specific you have to go (both hardware and software wise) to accomplish that.
    I didn't derail anything, I entered this thread saying that Blackphone was rooted (Blackphone suposedly is more secure than the Priv, dito by jonh chen), so the Priv will be rooted aswell. This was totally in context of a thread called "priv rooting". That's what I believe, maybe it won't be rooted at all and I'll be wrong.

But somehow some members with a Crystal ball already saw the future and came against me with the "priv impossible to root" propaganda. I was just defending my position of "everything is rootable when there enought will", and came with example of other phones in the business with "anti-exploit" measures that failed to stop some more capable people from messing with their original OS's.

maybe the Priv manages to be "un-rootable" I simply don't believe that looking at the past of the modern smartphone.

Regardless, the phone is out for less than a week, it's too soon to come here and claim anything if it's rootable or not. People are working on it on XDA (i've read somwhere) it seems, so let's wait and see who's right.
    11-12-15 01:47 PM
    I'll just quote these, they speak more than I ever could.

I didn't derail anything, I entered this thread saying that Blackphone was rooted (Blackphone suposedly is more secure than the Priv, dito by jonh chen), so the Priv will be rooted aswell. This was totally in context of a thread called "priv rooting". That's what I believe, maybe it won't be rooted at all and I'll be wrong.
    I didn't say they will hack the Priv because they hacked the Blackphone, nor didn't want to imply that the process to root the Priv is the same of the Blackphone just because they run the same OS. I just find hard to believe that it is "un-hackable"... If anything, maybe the guy/team that developed the security program for the priv actually know a way or too to overcome the protection against rooting
    Go on, by all means, claim that they were different threads and therefore you are allowed to have completely different points of views at the same time.

PS: Yeah, I just noticed myself, there are two almost identical threads.
    11-12-15 01:52 PM
    You really need to stop. You can't use those methods today. Iphone hardware is much more customized than back in the 3GS days and so you can't find the drivers you need as they are Apple only components.
    11-12-15 02:14 PM
    You really need to stop. You can't use those methods today. Iphone hardware is much more customized than back in the 3GS days and so you can't find the drivers you need as they are Apple only components.
    If anything you're on my favour, because the hardware on the priv isn't very "custom", and the subject is is the priv "rootable" or not. Hopefully not, but android is so explitable that I doubt,
    If it get rooted will be a blow on blackberry image wich will be very sad as I want Blackberry to succeed, especially this new Anrdoid/Blackberry era.
    joekavorski likes this.
    11-12-15 04:05 PM
    Wait no more.
    Here's your iphone running android:

here's how to do it:
    How to Install Android on Your iPhone | PCWorld
    1. This is for the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. the iPhone 3GS was explicitly excluded as it does not work.
    2. iPhones have been thoroughly dissected for Jailbreaking, and thus all vulnerabilities are well known.
    3. this was done over five years ago (first comments were posted 2,000 days ago). There has been advances in bootloader security.
    4. A Blackberry bootloader has NEVER been hacked. The entire Blackberry custom OS scene revolves around Hybrids, where signed modules from one OS version is mixed with signed modules from another version, with zero alteration to the modules themselves. The only Blackberrys in existence that can run unsigned code are used by Blackberry for development purposes and are tightly controlled. No exceptions. This is not Samsung or Apple, where security is an afterthought that gets patched after it becomes exploited.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-12-15 05:07 PM
    1. This is for the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. the iPhone 3GS was explicitly excluded as it does not work.
    2. iPhones have been thoroughly dissected for Jailbreaking, and thus all vulnerabilities are well known.
    3. this was done over five years ago (first comments were posted 2,000 days ago). There has been advances in bootloader security.
    4. A Blackberry bootloader has NEVER been hacked. The entire Blackberry custom OS scene revolves around Hybrids, where signed modules from one OS version is mixed with signed modules from another version, with zero alteration to the modules themselves. The only Blackberrys in existence that can run unsigned code are used by Blackberry for development purposes and are tightly controlled. No exceptions. This is not Samsung or Apple, where security is an afterthought that gets patched after it becomes exploited.
    Blackphone was also patched and isn't "rootable" now... but it was before. Surely if tomorow they root the Priv, there will be a patch to fix it. But a security breach only has to happen once, the same way someone only has to excape from jail once.

2. Well, iphones still are considered more secure than Androids... it's worth what it's worth
    3. Phones keep being rooted
    4. Blackberry running Blackberry OS. Android is a different matter. if they managed to secure Android it's great, I have no intentions of rooting my priv, and I'm not concened about security, but I hope they succeed for the sake of BB still making phones.
    11-12-15 06:24 PM
    If anything you're on my favour, because the hardware on the priv isn't very "custom", and the subject is is the priv "rootable" or not. Hopefully not, but android is so explitable that I doubt,
    If it get rooted will be a blow on blackberry image wich will be very sad as I want Blackberry to succeed, especially this new Anrdoid/Blackberry era.
    Go ahead and do it yourself men. This is all talk, no action. At least the people (or person) attempting it is not crowing on threads about how rootable it will be. They're actually taking thetime to try it.

All talk, no action.
    11-12-15 08:09 PM
    Go ahead and do it yourself men. This is all talk, no action. At least the people (or person) attempting it is not crowing on threads about how rootable it will be. They're actually taking thetime to try it.

All talk, no action.
    ??

I think you misread what I wrote, you sound like I'm against the people that are rooting or something like that wich I'm not understanding. I have to total respect for them because I don't know sh** about hacking a device.
    11-12-15 08:45 PM
    I don't know sh** about hacking a device.
    WE KNOW
    diegonei likes this.
    11-12-15 10:11 PM
    WE KNOW
    doesn't look like... especially when you want to compare to cars...
    11-13-15 03:58 PM
    It may be a blow to blackberry image by the press. You may also see an increase of sales from android fans that like control over their own devices as well though *shrug*

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-15 06:22 PM
    It may be a blow to blackberry image by the press. You may also see an increase of sales from android fans that like control over their own devices as well though *shrug*

You have a point. The money question is:

Is there more people that want to root a phone, or more people that need a secure phone? With the huge evolution that Android as taken over the years (in a good way), I find that less and less people actually want to root their phones.

On the other side, with phones having greater impact in our life, especially when our phones can access our money, greater security is increasing in demand by every type of user.
    11-14-15 11:27 AM
    You have a point. The money question is:

Is there more people that want to root a phone, or more people that need a secure phone? With the huge evolution that Android as taken over the years (in a good way), I find that less and less people actually want to root their phones.

On the other side, with phones having greater impact in our life, especially when our phones can access our money, greater security is increasing in demand by every type of user.
    I'm in the same boat as you and I'm less likely to root these days if the phone already has the features I want like the Priv. However, some people, like to root just to get rid of bloatware and have a recovery to make a backup of system and apps. I'd rather not have to wipe my phone with a factory reset when I can recover a full image if something goes wrong or even the ability to to recover an individual app if I don't like the latest update of one.

As far as how many are specifically looking for a secure phone versus people who like to root? I don't know. I think they both might be a minority of users.

I also don't think that if a phone is rootable that it's killing a majority of sales right now on other phones though and if the press does try to bring attention to the fact that root was achieved on Priv, and that's hypothetical, then it's probably just going to be advertising for some android users who might not have purchased unless it was rootable.

Last edited by Trisk333; 11-14-15 at 01:17 PM.
    11-14-15 12:34 PM
85 1234