huft...

Posted via CB10
    Puft.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-12-15 01:51 PM
    I am sure the PRIV will be rooted very shortly after release and that will even increase sales.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 04:00 PM
    Look here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11987728

This is what's odds-on in terms of the Priv being rooted. In short you might be able to do it if there's a flaw in the kernel somewhere but the odds of it surviving a reboot are poor at best.

Note that BB10 hasn't been "rooted" that I'm aware of; I can force an unsigned executable to be loaded but the phone won't boot with it present.
    10-12-15 04:21 PM
    People: it's already been rooted. If the speculation is true. grSecurity Kernel is being used in place of the 'standard' android kernel, then it's already been rooted and a new customized ROM has been put in its place.
    10-12-15 04:40 PM
    Exactly! Every Android I purchase I root it, custom mod/ROM it and immediately rip Google Services and all the associated bloatware from the device... Full control and customization, including security... If done correctly and with the proper knowledge, the Android OS can me made reasonably "secure"... (As secure as mobile device can be that is...)

If the Priv doesn't allow this level of rooting while forcing Google Services upon the device, I do not see a BlackBerry Android being in the cards for me... That would be a deal-breaker...

Posted via CB10
    I can say that if Priv isn't rootable then many, many android users won't be interested because a core group have a need to get into the guts, some may buy Priv just for the challenge if it's not supposed to be rootable, personally I want the Android Priv to develop as many users as are currently on BB's, but I seriously fear the taint of BB will still be foremost on most minds, will BB be here next year selling phones? Unless Chen comes out and screams Gxd Dxmn it! I will never stop selling phones, many will not consider any BB, but already Chen has hinted too many time it's make or break time. Too many articles already state it's make or break time! Chen must declare that anyone buying a Priv - Android that he will guarantee BB will support until whatever the next cycle is, what's that 1.5 years??
    10-12-15 08:48 PM
    People: it's already been rooted. If the speculation is true. grSecurity Kernel is being used in place of the 'standard' android kernel, then it's already been rooted and a new customized ROM has been put in its place.
    Then wouldn't any manufacturer changes at all constitute rooting?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 08:52 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is targeting hard core Android hobbyists with the Priv. The target BlackBerry customer is still management-level business users and governments, as well as Enterprise fleets for companies that don't support BYOD.

I would be surprised if a significant % of those segments have any interest in rooting their phones, and quite a few might consider rootability to be a deal-breaker. I expect that, as with BB10 phones, any unauthorized change to the bootloader will brick the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 09:58 PM
    Should one expect an 'unrootable' phone or is android inherently rootable?

Posted via CB10
    The Blackphone was rooted, so will this.
    10-12-15 10:05 PM
    The Blackphone was rooted, so will this.
    But it was soon patched. I don't think it's been rooted since. Of course, the Blackphone 2 hasn't been released yet, so we don't know how tight it's locked down with the new PrivatOS (replacing the previous Silent OS). Early on, the PlayBook was rooted too, but also patched and it, along with every BB10 OS since, hasn't been.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 10:39 PM
    "People won't buy the phone if it's not rootable"

If people won't go through the hassle of sideloading Android apps on BlackBerry 10, because the average consumer doesn't have the time or patience to learn, what makes you think they'll root a phone?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 10:45 PM
    But it was soon patched. I don't think it's been rooted since. Of course, the Blackphone 2 hasn't been released yet, so we don't know how tight it's locked down with the new PrivatOS (replacing the previous Silent OS). Early on, the PlayBook was rooted too, but also patched and it, along with every BB10 OS since, hasn't been.

Posted via CB10
    I bet nobody is even trying to root Blackphones because I don't think many people are buying them.

Nothing is unhackable... It just depends on how much hackers are willing to hack it. There is a guy that has a Passport running Android, so rooting an Android Blackberry should be piece of cake actually.
    10-12-15 10:48 PM
    The issue to me isn't whether you can root the Priv, the issue is what happens if you do. I would hope that Blackberry's security model would mean that a rooted phone would no longer provide valid credentials for accessing protected resources. For example, the phone might perform a security wipe following the boot to a customized OS, and it might no longer be validated on the corporate network.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 10:49 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry is targeting hard core Android hobbyists with the Priv. The target BlackBerry customer is still management-level business users and governments, as well as Enterprise fleets for companies that don't support BYOD.

I would be surprised if a significant % of those segments have any interest in rooting their phones, and quite a few might consider rootability to be a deal-breaker. I expect that, as with BB10 phones, any unauthorized change to the bootloader will brick the phone.

Posted via CB10
    27.44% root android,
    Rooting an Android is a big topic with many doing and many thinking about it. I did mine and I'm not techy. There are just too many third party fun things to add to phone that require rooting. See this> Over 27.44% Users Root Their Phone(s) In Order To Remove Built-In Apps, Are You One Of Them? | Androidheadlines.com
    10-13-15 06:02 AM
    27.44% root android,
    Rooting an Android is a big topic with many doing and many thinking about it. I did mine and I'm not techy. There are just too many third party fun things to add to phone that require rooting. See this> Over 27.44% Users Root Their Phone(s) In Order To Remove Built-In Apps, Are You One Of Them? | Androidheadlines.com
    Point taken, but I highly doubt it's anywhere 27%.

That poll references Chinese users, who I'm guessing are more likely to get SU to install Google Play.

Keep in mind there are innumerable devices that don't get rooted at all.
    10-13-15 06:20 AM
    This. The only person that I know who rooted was only to install the custom bootloader for ROMs. And this was years ago when he got the HTC Desire. These days almost all Android users I know don't.

Not to mention rooting opens up a lot of risk. I know for starters that 360 "Security Suite" crap from China always try to install adware every time you connect a rooted/dev enabled phone.
    Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 06:23 AM
    This should tell you we won't be rooting Privs.

http://blck.by/1RUpc4O

Google can't afford to have rooted Android devices in the work place if they want Android for Work to take off.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.2.2789 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.6.28
    10-20-15 04:58 PM
    No... There IS life beyond Google services... And I will leave it at that... You are free to research on your own if you are curious...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That would be BB10. If I can't have GPS and be able to run any app I want without going through hoops, Then I might as well stick with Blackberry 10. My phone is a tool not a toy, and being able to reliably answer calls and hear the other party is far more important then turning all icons into jiggling nipples.
    Black Ice likes this.
    11-09-15 12:35 PM
    I bet nobody is even trying to root Blackphones because I don't think many people are buying them.

Nothing is unhackable... It just depends on how much hackers are willing to hack it. There is a guy that has a Passport running Android, so rooting an Android Blackberry should be piece of cake actually.
    Source? The only Android Passports I'm aware of are actual internal builds that were loaded with Android by Blackberry itself. If anything they would only have developer access mode, and have the same level of security as the Priv.
    11-09-15 12:40 PM
    Uhh, which kernel being used has nothing to do with whether the user has root privileges or not.
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 11-09-15 at 01:26 PM.
    11-09-15 12:43 PM
    Source? The only Android Passports I'm aware of are actual internal builds that were loaded with Android by Blackberry itself. If anything they would only have developer access mode, and have the same level of security as the Priv.
    here you go. don't know the source, but the guys says there are 4 of them, doesn't give much detail on who loaded it.

starts at 4:45min
    11-09-15 12:47 PM
    This is already being discussed over on XDA with the reasons for why it can't be rooted, and how to work around that being mentioned. In short, it will be very difficult to accomplish but has been speculated to will happen within two years.

BlackBerry. Apks are already on XDA, too, and with that the Hack-a-Privathon has begun.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:15 PM
    That would be BB10. If I can't have GPS and be able to run any app I want without going through hoops, Then I might as well stick with Blackberry 10. My phone is a tool not a toy, and being able to reliably answer calls and hear the other party is far more important then turning all icons into jiggling nipples.
    There are two camps: one that believes Android without GPS is useless and the other that says otherwise.

And removing GPS would be to keep the handset a tool. Doing so also has no bearing on the devices ability to place and receive phone calls. As for jiggly nipple icons, that also has nothing to do with GPS.
    11-09-15 01:23 PM
    "People won't buy the phone if it's not rootable"

If people won't go through the hassle of sideloading Android apps on BlackBerry 10, because the average consumer doesn't have the time or patience to learn, what makes you think they'll root a phone?

Posted via CB10
    The typical Android user would not know what rooting is even if you did it to their phone right in front of them. Rooters are a small subset of Android users who do so to "natively" add or remove functionalities with the desired purposes to either remove bloat, block ads/tracking, and/or to extend battery life.

The crowd that is most likely to root are largely the same people who would buy a Priv just to prove it can be done.

As for sideloading apps on BB10, well, this has more to do with confusion over the process and not necessarily an unwillingness to do so.
    11-09-15 01:28 PM
    Moved to the new forum Android BlackBerry Phones & OS/Android Apps

(Forum for discussion of Android apps on the Priv, rooting, etc.)
    11-09-15 01:47 PM
    I have a quick question. If you don�t care about your privacy and security, why bother to buy a BlackBerry Priv? There are so many andoid devices available in the market. Do you think BlackBerry first Android device can do anything better than security?

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    Couldn't you really say that about any phone? Why bother to buy a Samsung? Why an LG? Why a Sony?

If you don't care about privacy and security, maybe you want a Blackberry because of the physical keyboard? Or, maybe because of the curved screen? Or... maybe because you just like the word "Blackberry" because it has two b's? Or... maybe you had a dream last night and talked to a mythical warlord (whatever that is) who frightened you into buying a Blackberry? Or... maybe your best friend's cousin's neighbor's sister's boyfriend's brother convinced you to buy one? Or... maybe you just want it because you want it?
    11-09-15 02:08 PM
85 1234