Should one expect an 'unrootable' phone or is android inherently rootable?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 03:24 PM
    The million dollar question nobody has the answer to.
    kendall8899 likes this.
    10-02-15 04:09 PM
    I'm sure the folks at XDA will get their hands on the device as soon as it's available (or leaked).

Rooted Android is a plus for me. The level of customizations available is just...drool worthy haha.
    10-02-15 04:18 PM
    Any Android device is rootable. For blackberry users, its the choice between privacy and security, or freedom and customization, for me its definitely a root.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-02-15 04:25 PM
    There are several Android devices that have resisted rooting already. Priv will join that group: Grsec kernel is pretty impressive. Now its foolish to think it would stay that way forever, in that case BB will have measures in place like Samsung Knox to detect device root and take appropriate measures: locking apps, wiping partitions, whatever else.
    10-02-15 05:07 PM
    In theory any device is rootable but look at ios 9....no one has rooted it despite a $4 million reward available. No one has rooted the samsung galaxy note 4 yet....if the security is comparable to the Galaxy note 4 and includes a hardened kernel by grsec I would say the likelihood of the device being rooted is extremely low.

Also, the playbook was rooted and the sky didn't fall down. So?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    10-02-15 05:20 PM
    If you can root a phone... it's inherent to malware/phishing, mining etc...

So it's not secure...

And that's what BlackBerry is claiming.

Quot homines, tot sententiae!
    10-02-15 05:28 PM

No... not necessarily.
    10-02-15 05:32 PM
    In theory any device is rootable but look at ios 9....no one has rooted it despite a $4 million reward available. No one has rooted the samsung galaxy note 4 yet....if the security is comparable to the Galaxy note 4 and includes a hardened kernel by grsec I would say the likelihood of the device being rooted is extremely low.

Also, the playbook was rooted and the sky didn't fall down. So?

Even if the Priv got rooted, not too many folks would care outside the few folks here that seem to believe they rock the same thing POTUS rocks.
    10-02-15 05:35 PM

So it's not secure...

And that's what BlackBerry is claiming.

Quot homines, tot sententiae!
    This isn't true. If a phone is rooted it is easier to get more destructive malware installed on it and harder to get it off. If a phone is susceptible to rooting by malware then it is a huge issue but most rooting requires you to have the physical phone In your proximity and do things that require human intervention.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 05:44 PM
    I have a quick question. If you don�t care about your privacy and security, why bother to buy a BlackBerry Priv? There are so many andoid devices available in the market. Do you think BlackBerry first Android device can do anything better than security?

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    10-03-15 12:58 AM
    I have a quick question. If you don�t care about your privacy and security, why bother to buy a BlackBerry Priv? There are so many andoid devices available in the market. Do you think BlackBerry first Android device can do anything better than security?

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    Keyboard? Hub? Contacts? Calendar? Quick actions.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 04:16 AM
    This isn't true. If a phone is rooted it is easier to get more destructive malware installed on it and harder to get it off. If a phone is susceptible to rooting by malware then it is a huge issue but most rooting requires you to have the physical phone In your proximity and do things that require human intervention.

Posted via CB10
    If an Android is rooted, you can make it even ore secure with the Cyanogenmod ROM. IOW, rooting can also be a solution to security problems.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    10-03-15 08:42 AM
    If an Android is rooted, you can make it even ore secure with the Cyanogenmod ROM. IOW, rooting can also be a solution to security problems.
    Exactly! Every Android I purchase I root it, custom mod/ROM it and immediately rip Google Services and all the associated bloatware from the device... Full control and customization, including security... If done correctly and with the proper knowledge, the Android OS can me made reasonably "secure"... (As secure as mobile device can be that is...)

If the Priv doesn't allow this level of rooting while forcing Google Services upon the device, I do not see a BlackBerry Android being in the cards for me... That would be a deal-breaker...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 03:02 PM
    Exactly! Every Android I purchase I root it, custom mod/ROM it and immediately rip Google Services and all the associated bloatware from the device... Full control and customization, including security... If done correctly and with the proper knowledge, the Android OS can me made reasonably "secure"... (As secure as mobile device can be that is...)

If the Priv doesn't allow this level of rooting while forcing Google Services upon the device, I do not see a BlackBerry Android being in the cards for me... That would be a deal-breaker...

Posted via CB10
    Probably a stupid question but if you "rip Google Services and all the associated bloatware from the device", don't you end up with the equivalent of a BlackBerry 10 device? But obviously still with an Android OS and without a few things that are good about BB10 like the hub?
    10-07-15 03:14 PM
    Probably a stupid question but if you "rip Google Services and all the associated bloatware from the device", don't you end up with the equivalent of a BlackBerry 10 device? But obviously still with an Android OS and without a few things that are good about BB10 like the hub?
    No... There IS life beyond Google services... And I will leave it at that... You are free to research on your own if you are curious...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-15 04:08 PM
    Rooting is not evil, hell every laptop/PC out there has root access and everybody still uses them. What is bad is gaining root access through exploits or bugs.

As I said before, I am advocating the linux model for gaining root access: you can only gain root access if you enter a (strong) password, and root should only be used for certain advanced tasks.
    CivilDissident likes this.
    10-07-15 04:09 PM
    Rooting is not evil, hell every laptop/PC out there has root access and everybody still uses them. What is bad is gaining root access through exploits or bugs.

As I said before, I am advocating the linux model for gaining root access: you can only gain root access if you enter a (strong) password, and root should only be used for certain advanced tasks.
    Problem is "rooting" in common terms is the act of gaining the root access via exploits, and what most people are referring to.

In other news, Marshmallow is actually harder to root, requires modified images in the kernel:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/07/marshmallow-root-available-with-supersu-v2-50-beta-still-requires-a-modified-kernel-for-now/
    10-07-15 04:16 PM
    Problem is "rooting" in common terms is the act of gaining the root access via exploits, and what most people are referring to.

In other news, Marshmallow is actually harder to root, requires modified images in the kernel:

Marshmallow Root Available With SuperSU v2.50 Beta, Still Requires A Modified Boot Image For Now
    Yeah I don't think this method will work for Priv. You'd have to unlock the bootloader first and then bypass any boot checks on modifications. It'd be a serious security hole if BB were unable to detect a modded kernel and take appropriate measures.
    10-07-15 07:52 PM
    The days of easily rooting Android devices are basically over. I thought it would be in Android N, but Google has upped its game with Marshmallow

Interesting article on XDA on Google turning on DM-Verity, system modification detection code which existed since Kit-Kat but wasn't enabled until now. Google is realizing if Android for Work is going to work, enterprise needs to be confident that devices can't be rooted or if it does that the device can be disabled. I would expect Priv to use the existing code in Lollipop.

In lieu of an unofficial bootloader unlock (those are fairly rare these days, short of leaked engineering bootloaders for a few Samsung devices), it seems highly unlikely that you’ll be getting root on Android 6.0 without some divine intervention – the combination of dm-verity (to stop your phone from booting with any modifications to the system partition), and the requirement for SELinux changes in the ramdisk (to let root work), look set to make things rather un-fun for root-aspiring users of these locked-down devices.
    10-07-15 09:02 PM
    The days of easily rooting Android devices are basically over. I thought it would be in Android N, but Google has upped its game with Marshmallow

Interesting article on XDA on Google turning on DM-Verity, system modification detection code which existed since Kit-Kat but wasn't enabled until now. Google is realizing if Android for Work is going to work, enterprise needs to be confident that devices can't be rooted or if it does that the device can be disabled. I would expect Priv to use the existing code in Lollipop.
    I'm okay with this. It's the natural progression.

Nexus devices will still be around...

Good info.
    10-07-15 10:07 PM
    If it roots it's not very private or secure is it?

Especially with a name like BlackBerry priv (private)

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 05:44 AM
    If it roots it's not very private or secure is it?

Especially with a name like BlackBerry priv (private)

Posted via CB10
    If it requires Google Services "it's not very private or secure is it?"...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 10-08-15 at 08:28 AM.
    10-08-15 06:42 AM
    If it requires Google Services "it's not very private or secure is it?"...

Posted via CB10
    Yes but didn't you mention that we can setup androids to be google free?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 10:57 AM
    huft...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 12:29 PM
85 123 ...