I should have added that even if BlackBerry does something like this as long as you have a rooted android device then we could theoretically find a way to get it working but I don't know who would put in that time and effort instead of just buying a priv

Posted via CB10
    People who would rather not use a Priv might. Personally I'm not interested in the Priv largely because of the size, I just switched back to my Z10 from an LG G4 mainly because I'd prefer a phone around 5". There's also people who want root access, people who don't want to purchase a premium smartphone, and I myriad of other reasons someone might not want the Priv specifically but still want that experience.
    11-01-15 09:55 AM
    Aren't there websites that rip apk files from the Google play store_ surprised no one has done this yet
    11-01-15 09:59 AM
    Aren't there websites that rip apk files from the Google play store_ surprised no one has done this yet
    Because those tools spoof an existing device to allow downloads, and the devices being spoofed can't download the Priv only apks. Someone will need to spoof a Priv to download them.
    11-01-15 10:05 AM
    Installation won't be an issue at all, the only potential hurdle will be if BlackBerry made the apk dependent on a system framework that can't be accessed.
    this is what BB has done for now i have heard. Thus even with the apks you cant load and run them at this point
    11-01-15 10:15 AM
    So, let's find out.
    11-01-15 12:51 PM
    Obviously BlackBerry don't want anyone to download it, I'm sure by editing the build.prop on another android phone to be the same as the Priv you could get the APK but what use would that be?

The likelihood is that the app detects the device it's loaded onto and will only work on a priv.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 01:48 PM
    I think posters and CB should probably run this by an IT/copyright lawyer before posts appear. This area has tightened up significantly in the last very few years.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    11-01-15 01:53 PM
    Someone please get creative so we can give it a shot.
    11-01-15 02:13 PM
    I think some of you are missing OP's point. If it's available for the Priv, it should be possible to obtain it and install it on other Android devices. I would also be interested in getting a copy of the apk to test out on a few devices.
    Because it is only available for the PRIV St the moment in order to obtain the apk you need a PRIV.

Or the GSF ID of a PRIV.

Once the PRIV is released it will be possible to obtain the apk and then try and load it on other devices.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-01-15 03:11 PM
    Someone please get creative so we can give it a shot.
    You don't get it.

It's not about being creative.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PRIV OR A PRIV'S GOOGLE PLAY ID.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE TWO THEN YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE APK'S OF ALL THE BB APPS ON ANDROID AND INSTALL THEM ON ANY ANDROID DEVICE.

11-01-15 03:14 PM
    You don't get it.

It's not about being creative.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE UNLESS YOU HAVE A PRIV OR A PRIV'S GOOGLE PLAY ID.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE TWO THEN YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE APK'S OF ALL THE BB APPS ON ANDROID AND INSTALL THEM ON ANY ANDROID DEVICE.

Easy there, no need to go full caps lock. Obviously OP has neither, and is hoping someone who has one (almost certainly the Priv itself) will get the apk and post it here.
    11-01-15 03:21 PM
    Or maybe the priv is locked down and no one can get the apk.
    11-01-15 03:49 PM
    Or maybe the priv is locked down and no one can get the apk.
    Just like BlackBerry World was locked down and no one could get bar files from it?

If the apps are on Google Play, which someone said they are, they're almost certainly obtainable.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    11-01-15 03:52 PM
    Just like BlackBerry World was locked down and no one could get bar files from it?

If the apps are on Google Play, which someone said they are, they're almost certainly obtainable.
    Right, I remember that part now.
    Maybe BB has learned from it...Lol
    11-01-15 03:55 PM
    Just buy yourself a Priv of you can afford it. This thread is now useless and should be closed.

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-01-15 03:59 PM
    Just buy yourself a Priv of you can afford it. This thread is now useless and should be closed.

Posted via CB10
    Not everyone wants a Priv. Personally I think it's too big.

The thread has gotten a bit off topic, you can flag the mods to remove anything off the topic of obtaining the Priv apks to use of other devices.
    11-01-15 04:02 PM
    Lol
    11-01-15 04:05 PM
    I think some of you are missing OP's point. If it's available for the Priv, it should be possible to obtain it and install it on other Android devices. I would also be interested in getting a copy of the apk to test out on a few devices.
    The problem is this:

1. The Priv has not launched yet, and the few with pre-releases are not sharing lest they incur the wrath from violating a NDA.
    2. The keyboard APK will be verifying that it is a valid install (whether it's on a recognized device or if the Play Store acknowledges a license)
    3. Blackberry will do everything reasonably possible to prevent a scenario where the Keyboard APK becomes downloaded from a third party, cracked, patched with malware such as keyloggers, and loaded onto an unsuspecting victim's phone. What is being asked requires circumventing these security measures. If someone actually claims to offer the actual keyboard APK free to download, there's no way for people to verify that is safe - and the question may not even cross their mind.

Just Bloody Well be patient. The Priv comes out in a week and you get to play with it then and find out how all the security features work.

Hell, If I was a hacker I can slap together something that looks like the real keyboard (maybe even make it so you can't really test it out but think it's just buggy so keep it installed anyways) and have it siphon all of your sensitive information, and simply reply to this thread with a link titled "here you go."
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-01-15 07:07 PM
    That's one reason the BB Keyboard is key for my Android 5 tablet - all the downloadable kbs, including Google's own, require you give them permission to log the key presses.

Give me my Z30 kb experience on the only Android device I am forced to own due to the state of the PlayBook. (or give me BB10 on the PlayBook, even better! )

Guess we will wait and be patient for the APK.
    11-01-15 09:08 PM
    We can get the keyboard and get it working on rooted android devices. If anyone who has the Priv can give me a copy of the /system directory.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    11-01-15 09:51 PM
    I would expect Priv keyboard APK to have a dependency check on a PKB framework. It may be possible to patch around this just like apks that check for Google Services but it may take some time.
    11-02-15 02:21 PM
    G_d I'll be very, very upset this particular apk could run on any other device than a Priv.
    Why ? If the security mantra is real, then, every application designed by BlackBerry should - hopefully will - respect the HW ID check.
    anon4226395 and gvs1341 like this.
    11-02-15 04:39 PM
    G_d I'll be very, very upset this particular apk could run on any other device than a Priv.
    Why ? If the security mantra is real, then, every application designed by BlackBerry should - hopefully will - respect the HW ID check.
    You've got the security mantra reversed. What is important is that the application data be secure, not that the application that generates the data (especially when the application is obtained from an alternate source, specifically Google Play) be secure.
    11-02-15 05:06 PM
    It's both ways. App check HW ID and System checks if the app is compliant. You cannot separate input and storage. It's a trust chain.
    Edit : if it's BlackBerry's, it's signed. No key, no go.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 05:29 PM
    It's both ways. App check HW ID and System checks if the app is compliant. You cannot separate input and storage. It's a trust chain.
    Edit : if it's BlackBerry's, it's signed. No key, no go.

Posted via CB10
    It's Android, so being signed doesn't mean the same thing that it means on a BB OS.
    11-02-15 05:37 PM
91 1234