Have any of you Piv users sideloaded the Pokemon Go apk? Is there a verified safe version floating around? I know at least one version of the apk is known to have malware, so i dont want to just google one without knowing it's been checked.

Also, for those of you that have been playing in Canada or the UK (or any other country where it's not available yet), what is the downside of sideloading? are you missing out on any features, or syncing capability? Is it better to just wait for the official release?
    07-12-16 10:38 AM
    Have any of you Piv users sideloaded the Pokemon Go apk? Is there a verified safe version floating around? I know at least one version of the apk is known to have malware, so i dont want to just google one without knowing it's been checked.

Also, for those of you that have been playing in Canada or the UK (or any other country where it's not available yet), what is the downside of sideloading? are you missing out on any features, or syncing capability? Is it better to just wait for the official release?
    If it's "floating around" how do you verify if it's safe?

Besides, if they haven't released the game in your market... most likely they haven't released any Pokemon into the wild in that area anyway
    07-12-16 11:15 AM
    1) floating around is a figure of speech, not sure why you're conflating it with specific checks for malware

2) its not officially released, but the set up is all there, pokemon and all.

But i got my answer from AC, so thanks anyways.

For those interested, APK Mirror seems to be a legit source the apk, but apparently people are being account banned for using it outside the legit geographic locations, so i'd stay away until the official release anyways.
    07-12-16 12:24 PM
    *lots* of reports of trojaned APK's for Pokemon Go out there.

If you bought the phone for security reasons you should NOT be sideloading.
    07-12-16 07:43 PM
    Besides, if they haven't released the game in your market... most likely they haven't released any Pokemon into the wild in that area anyway
    Actually they do spawn in unsupported countries. And it's another element to the server load problems. Pokemon are spawned randomly when players are in an area (and sometimes not so randomly if a player drops a Lure at a pokestop or is using incense).

One of the problems Niantic is having is the still growing (at an obscene rate) number of players who actually are in the supported countries, and server upgrades can barely keep up. Add to that, players in unsupported countries side loading the app, those countries now have players and are also increasing the server loads.

If you're in the US, install the game, then fly/travel to a country that is not yet officially supported, you'll still be able to play without fear of the game placing you in a barren wasteland.
    07-13-16 02:22 PM