I've installed several banking apps onto my LE this past month. Including PayPal. Then read this yesterday:

https://www.2-spyware.com/android-ba...mware-features

And:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...omware-module/

Since Play Store is obviously imperfect, how do I assure this, or similar, hasn't been installed on my LE? Is there an AV scan or something that might detect Anubis type risks?

Thanks.
    04-10-19 05:11 AM
    I've installed several banking apps onto my LE this past month. Including PayPal. Then read this yesterday:

And:

Since Play Store is obviously imperfect, how do I assure this, or similar, hasn't been installed on my LE? Is there an AV scan or something that might detect Anubis type risks?

Thanks.
    It’s not installed through reputable 1st party corporate apps like PayPal or such. It’s the shady (not shady looking) free third party apps that will typically be the source.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-10-19 07:49 AM

And:

Thanks.
    Typically companies have a link to their app in the Play Store, if unsure whether an app is legit go to the company's site and link to the store from there. Peace of mind plus saves a little time.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-10-19 08:25 AM
    Thanks! Good to hear. That's been my routine, also. I'll rest somewhat easier now.

Still... suppose, for example, I've installed a "questionable" app? Or have question about an app before installing? Is there a third party, like eset or BD or?, that might be able to scan and offer some assurance about a particular app before installation? Perhaps for a fee or a subscription??

I'm asking because of plans to find and install an RPN calculator app. As one example. One that might efficiently employ K's PKB. (any suggestions welcome... lol). Finding a suitable one might involve install and uninstall of quite a few "test" apps from relatively obscure devs. ???

The scariest thing for me is that I've actually entertained "trying" a currency converter app that might have even been one mentioned in one of the above articles...!!! Thankfully I did NOT. But only by virtue of time management rather than any personal wisdom. Lol.

Since LE is rapidly becoming my "heavy lifter" , K1 has relegated to test mule status. It has never had any important passwords entered thru it so... BUT, say I install, and uninstall, a few dozen RPN calc apps on K1, how do I detect any malware on it? Are scanners like MalwareBytes or eset or?? Of any use?
    04-10-19 04:14 PM
    Thanks! Good to hear. That's been my routine, also. I'll rest somewhat easier now.

Still... suppose, for example, I've installed a "questionable" app? Or have question about an app before installing? Is there a third party, like eset or BD or?, that might be able to scan and offer some assurance about a particular app before instalation? Perhaps for a fee or a subsciption??

I'm asking because of plans to find and install an RPN calculator app. As one example. One that might efficiently employ K's PKB. (any suggestions welcome... lol). Finding a suitable one might involve install and uninstall of quite a few "test" apps from relatively obscure devs. ???

The scariest thing for me is that I've actually entertained "trying" a currency converter app that might have even been one mentioned in one of the above articles...!!! Thankfully I did NOT. But only by virtue of time management rather than any personal wisdom. Lol.

Since LE is rapidly becoming my "heavy lifter" , K1 has relegated to test mule status. It has never had any important passwords entered thru it so... BUT, say I install, and uninstall, a few dozen RPN calc apps on K1, how do I detect any malware on it? Are scanners like MalwareBytes or eset or?? Of any use?
    Integrity Detection will notify you if chafes are made to the system space. So there's that.

Plus Play Protect is constantly updated, and will scan for most things detected by Google subsequent to installation.
    idssteve likes this.
    04-10-19 04:20 PM
    ...a well known talk show host in Philadelphia, Irv Homer, years gone now, was prior to that a bar owner... he said once the employees might steal a little from the till... and further he said "I don't care so long as they leave enough for me !!" His wife, Lynne Abraham, at the time Philadelphia District Attorney, and one tough cookie, never commented apparently... I guess just about everyone pilfers some, some don't even know it. if your bank or PayPal balance is pretty close to correct, fuggetaboutit !!
    04-12-19 04:44 PM