UK Government want Encrypted messages handed over to Security Services in the aftermath of the Westminster Bridge Terror Attack:

London terror attack: UK wants encrypted WhatsApp messages | Fox News
    03-27-17 12:43 PM
    Unsurprising, but Facebook will probably fight this out like they did in Brazil.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-27-17 12:53 PM
    But wouldn't this differ as its them "choosing to apply UK surveillance legislation to the US based company"?

Then again, there is Cellebrite......
    03-27-17 12:58 PM
    But wouldn't this differ as its them "choosing to apply UK surveillance legislation to the US based company"?

Then again, there is Cellebrite......
    Brazil was courts ordering Facebook to divulge messages, to which they countered that end to end meant that doing so was impossible: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...l-for-3rd-time

Were the British government to try to fight this they'd probably hit the same end to end wall. Although, if the Wikileaks disclosures were anything to go on, they have ways to circumvent that on targeted devices.
    03-27-17 01:07 PM
    Although, if the Wikileaks disclosures were anything to go on, they have ways to circumvent that on targeted devices.

Thats what I was thinking as well.... But it remains to be seen.
    03-27-17 01:10 PM
    Thats what I was thinking as well.... But it remains to be seen.
    Targeted collection requires knowing which phone to tap, but circumventing end to end means the British can tap any Whatsapp messages, with no need for direction.

You'd think they'd get more out of this from a higher-level perspective.
    03-27-17 01:14 PM
    While it may be a "request" from Security Service specifically for information regarding the attacker, we both know that once open, it would be a blanket option for them to have the collection without it being targeted.
    03-27-17 01:17 PM
    While it may be a "request" from Security Service specifically for information regarding the attacker, we both know that once open, it would be a blanket option for them to have the collection without it being targeted.
    The same reason Apple refused to crack open the San Bernardino iPhone "just this once" .
    03-27-17 01:18 PM
    The same reason Apple refused to crack open the San Bernardino iPhone "just this once" .
    Very true, and yet look what happened and who cracked it.
    03-27-17 01:19 PM
    Very true, and yet look what happened and who cracked it.
    Well yeah, black hats don't have ethics.
    03-27-17 01:19 PM
    Well yeah, black hats don't have ethics.
    It all came down to a matter of money and bragging rights. AND the company is actually incorporated...
    03-27-17 01:20 PM
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong but the end-to-end encryption on whatsapp has a downside. Keys are stored on a whatsapp server. Which means that GCHQ would be able to hack into that server.. I believe they have the capabilities to do so.

Signal IM app from Open Whisper Systems is praised for its end-to-end encryption mostly because those keys aren't stored on a server. About a year ago they got a court order and all they could hand over was the day the phone number registered and the last day it was online!

I hate it that they eliminate these kind of encryption technologies. So if you really want to be safe i believe signal is your app2go. They have proven themselfs.

[I will post a link from the court order within the hour]
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-27-17 02:08 PM
    03-27-17 03:00 PM
    https://whispersystems.org/bigbrothe...ia-grand-jury/

They sure made a nice hyperlink haha
    That is all well and good. But when the telephone automatic dialing came out the phone company didn't record who was calling who, other than for toll calls. US law enforcement developed the pen register which requires a warrant but similar technology could be imposed on chat services if they are at all involved in routing the messages. This has already been used against email service in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_register

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    03-27-17 04:41 PM
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong but the end-to-end encryption on whatsapp has a downside. Keys are stored on a whatsapp server. Which means that GCHQ would be able to hack into that server.. I believe they have the capabilities to do so.

Signal IM app from Open Whisper Systems is praised for its end-to-end encryption mostly because those keys aren't stored on a server. About a year ago they got a court order and all they could hand over was the day the phone number registered and the last day it was online!

I hate it that they eliminate these kind of encryption technologies. So if you really want to be safe i believe signal is your app2go. They have proven themselfs.

[I will post a link from the court order within the hour]
    Well this is an interesting twist, and a surprising site to find it on:

https://whispersystems.org/blog/ther...sapp-backdoor/
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    03-28-17 06:22 AM