Just replaced my seven year old Z30 on Verizon in the US with a key2le which I have had for about a year. I am using the stock Google messages app. Is there a free cross platform app that you recommend? I'm not looking for bells and whistles as much as cross platform messaging: computers, Android phone on Mint mobile, old Android tablet. Thanks in advance.
    07-09-20 10:00 AM
    whatsapp, hangouts, telegram, FB messenger
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-09-20 10:29 AM
    Best thing is to ask what the people you want to communicant with are already using... in the US that's probably FaceBook Messenger or WhatsApp.

Signal is one many here talk about.... but doesn't have much of a userbase.
    07-09-20 10:33 AM
    thanks. do your two sets of suggestions mean I have to use the same app my contacts are using? like the old bbm days?
    07-10-20 09:55 AM
    thanks. do your two sets of suggestions mean I have to use the same app my contacts are using? like the old bbm days?
    Pretty much... cross platform means the OS.... iOS, Android or Windows. But yeah each app is pretty much a propriety messaging solution like BBM was. So if BBM is working for you... can stick with it if the people you want to chat with are there.

I know lots of folks that are fine with plain old SMS/MMS/RCS messaging....

For work I use SLACK.... personally I use SMS a lot still.... but COVID has gotten me using WhatsApp with several groups as well. And since my family is all on WhatsApp, I'm using it with them as well.
    07-10-20 10:18 AM
    I never really used bbe as not enough of my contacts were. now I am just trying to get the text messages from my phone to my other screens for convenience. so many of my various accounts I can access from anywhere. but texts have been only on my primary phone. usually ok, but not always. thanks for your help.
    07-10-20 11:14 AM
    bbe=bbm
    07-10-20 11:15 AM
    I never really used bbe as not enough of my contacts were. now I am just trying to get the text messages from my phone to my other screens for convenience. so many of my various accounts I can access from anywhere. but texts have been only on my primary phone. usually ok, but not always. thanks for your help.
    You can use BlackBerry Content Transfer to migrate your "text" message from BB10 over to Android's. Number of other backup option that can handle that as well.

Also if your using Windows 10 on your PC... look at Microsoft Phone Companion. I used it a lot back when used Android. Wasn't perfect, but it allows you to text via you PC.
    07-10-20 11:44 AM
    ok! I'll give that a try. it used to be odd and rather clunky.
    07-10-20 12:18 PM