Hi, all

Wondering what mapping apps people find to work nicely with the KeyOne...?

On my Classic, I used the Android version of OsmAnd free, which worked very well indeed. However, it seems unstable and almost buggy on my KeyOne:
    - If I brush or accidentally touch the keyboard at all, it zooms in and out violently, and the app often crashes (or just eventually goes out or in to min/max zoom and sends me to Alaska!).
    - I can't change the units of measure: it always switches back to the bizarre default of a mix of miles and metres(!)
    - Some features aren't rendering which I know from having the same offline tiles on my Classic are there (e.g. minor railways)

So, what are people finding works well? Needless to say, Google maps is dire other than for finding shops.

My usage is...
    - Primarily not by car (when I do drive I use the car's own GPS)
    - Mostly walking, sometimes cycling and often just general map browsing when travelling e.g. by train/bus
    - Need detailed geographic features (footpaths, hills, water features, buildings, railways, points of interest, etc. etc. etc.)
    - Need speed and altitude, and of course normal navigation/guidance features

I don't mind paying but want to be sure it will work - I had intended to buy the paid version of OsmAnd but obviously can't on the above basis.

Any thoughts, people?

Thanks a lot!
    07-22-17 02:46 PM
    I've been experimenting with Here (we go) maps as a google replacement. Its very clean and has far fewer permission requests than google maps
    07-22-17 02:53 PM
    I've been experimenting with Here (we go) maps as a google replacement. Its very clean and has far fewer permission requests than google maps
    Thanks. How detailed are the Here (we go) maps? As I say, I need more geographic detail than Google gives you (which isn't setting the bar high, I know......).

I mean to say, I've heard Orux Maps is good, but as the free version seems to have been withdrawn at least from Play store I can't "try before I buy" to check it works OK on my KeyOne.

I should also have said that I need to be able to load and display .gpx tracks (though creating them is less important).
    07-22-17 03:18 PM
    Just to answer my own thread (!) in case it's of interest to others, I'm finding Orux Maps works very well indeed, and doesn't have the keyboard problem I described above (which, by the way, Locus Maps does, though not as badly as OSMAnd).

Orux is a pretty impressive piece of software for things like hiking, though for simpler finding of addresses etc. I'd recommend mapy.cz. Note that the free version isn't available in Play Store, but a quick search will take you where you need to be to download it. That said, I'll be donating anyway now.

Hope that helps!
    08-11-17 03:43 AM