Dtek log says this. Ive turned off microphone permission now, but it still says tried to access microphone. WTH?
    Attached Thumbnails Kik accessing microphone even when not in use-15982.jpg  
    07-11-17 10:04 AM
    Thats likely a firstboot-TO-date log. Maybe you ran the app once before you disabled the permission?
    07-11-17 12:49 PM
    By default ALL of your programs run in the background. We're told, that while they are back there they can "talk" to all the other apps that are in that mode who have access to other parts of your device.
    The main reason that they "run in the background" though is "to phone home." to collect information about you... to send you more relevant ads and to make your surfing experience as personal and pleasurable as possible.
    What that means is, an app that runs in the background may open a backdoor where a virus could sneak in.But, mainly it's able to communicate with home and vice versa.
    Other than a few protected system apps NO app needs to run in the background.
    I would go through each app (one at a time) and disable that feature.
    As for KIk "Trying " to access the microphone ... I would go into my browser settings and deny permission from there.
    07-11-17 05:18 PM
    @Mainely

Yes i did run the app the very first time before i turned off the microphone. To be sure this wasnt the case i uninstalled Kik and wiped all traces with the corpse finder of Sd maid. Reinstalled it and disabled microphone before starting the app.... But DTEK still detects microphone access.

Afaik the kik app isnt coded grounds up for marshmallow and is a carryover of the lolipop/JB version updated to run on Android M.

Android L/JB gave access to most permissions without users control... i suspect that the older api level of this app is tripping/over riding Android M's app permissions?

I was surprised to see DTEK still detecting microphone access despite me turning off microphone permission for the app.

Can older apps get access to restricted permissions ? Other popular apps that work on Android M but arent coded groundsup for android M are Reddit.
    @lostboy

More than just the browser perhaps? Like all apps that use the microphone...

Can we contact BB about this app behaviour?
    07-12-17 04:01 PM
    @Mainely

Yes i did run the app the very first time before i turned off the microphone. To be sure this wasnt the case i uninstalled Kik and wiped all traces with the corpse finder of Sd maid. Reinstalled it and disabled microphone before starting the app.... But DTEK still detects microphone access.

Afaik the kik app isnt coded grounds up for marshmallow and is a carryover of the lolipop/JB version updated to run on Android M.

Android L/JB gave access to most permissions without users control... i suspect that the older api level of this app is tripping/over riding Android M's app permissions?

I was surprised to see DTEK still detecting microphone access despite me turning off microphone permission for the app.

Can older apps get access to restricted permissions ? Other popular apps that work on Android M but arent coded groundsup for android M are Reddit.
    @lostboy

More than just the browser perhaps? Like all apps that use the microphone...

Can we contact BB about this app behaviour?
    04-16-18 06:12 AM
    I have excatly the same behaviour on my Priv: kik is accessing microphone (i have disable permission to access to the microphone, but kik access it (foregraound or underground) without i'm using function using microphone). I have sent a message to kik team, without any answer. Kik is trying to spy the users ? I hope not. But why Dtek indicates kik is accessing microphone as seen ?
    04-16-18 06:15 AM