I installed the keyboard on my note 5 but I keep getting prompt saying that the apk is infected with malware!

Posted via CB10
    LOL. This is epic!!!

Screen shot please :-)

 Q5 / Z30
    11-09-15 11:32 AM
    I'm going to clean up in a bit. This is thread on 'how to' not if it's legal or not, ethical or not... go and start your own thread on it please....

edit: it may take some time, so yeah go ahead and argue else where .... I will get around to it when I have time.
    Too much hard work, no time, as long as discussions being kept in THIS THREAD ONLY .... I'm cool with that don't go around in the sticky discussing this ...
    11-09-15 11:38 AM
    I love how some people have suddenly become very ethical when they were more then happy to install BB10 leaks a while back
    Not only that, we were happy that Cobalt had given us GPS etc ...
    kbz1960 and reeneebob like this.
    11-09-15 11:41 AM
    Exactly,

If a user wants to use the blackberry keyboard on their device, it is obviously never going to be as streamlined as the native experience they would get on the priv itself.

they will get the same experience its just an apk file
    11-09-15 11:50 AM
    Not only that, we were happy that Cobalt had given us GPS etc ...
    Amazing isn't it.

Back on topic, hopefully this prompts Blackberry to release some apps as paid downloads, there are plenty of people on android who would pay for official apps once they've tried it and seen for themselves.
    And hopefully blackberry realises that some apps are better off as a one pay download (Keyboard, calendar, Launcher) while others are more fitting for a subscription service (Hub)
    11-09-15 11:52 AM
    My take on this is those APKs are BlackBerry's property and they are meant to be used on the devices BlackBerry wants them to be used on.

I don't blame any skilled developer who was able to run it on other devices than the ones BlackBerry meant, because BlackBerry took the approach for the world of Android where anything is possible.

They should put in their measurements to focus more on protecting their property using their security measurements. There is got to be a way to make those apps used only on the devices they want them to.

Posted via CB10
    welcome to android whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine
    11-09-15 11:53 AM
    No app on Play Store is considered Open Source without authorization, a licence or to distribute at will. Just because software is Open Source does not mean you can have it for free every time.

Open Source software is intended for the development community to make better. Some companies just put it out there to be completely free to fork but many do not including all the Google and BlackBerry apps.

Companies like Red Hat and ForgeRock are good examples of Open Source software that requires a licence to use. You can go download and use at anytime but you won't get to tech or bug fix support from them ever.

Brings me back to Play Store apps .. Play Store is only on Android devices otherwise BB10 phones would have access to it. Google won't allow it unless it is on a authorised Android device. This includes the apps on it.
    The mistake this OP is making is the unauthorised distribution and use of the software.
    The Open Source distribution legal language is right on Play Store for all to read.

People will continue to abuse and nothing may ever be done about it and that is just really unfortunate in my opinion.
    What do you all think Apple would do if techies started to hack and distribute their apps from their istore? Again, we are not talking about Android OS but Apps on Play Store..

Maybe OP should hack Spotify premium service app and distribute and see what happens.

posted from my Priv!
    11-09-15 11:53 AM
    I don't doubt. However, your statement that BB cannot lose money (now or at any point in the future) by not for now charging for their apps is leaky. A barrister would point out that no charge was applied in order to allow customers a speedy access to the latest versions, coinciding with the launch. The judge would rule that any reasonably knowledgeable person would anticipate that, given the caveats that were placed (i.e. Priv only access) and find that there would be a case and apply damages.
    Exactly

posted from my Priv!
    11-09-15 11:55 AM
    Amazing isn't it.

Back on topic, hopefully this prompts Blackberry to release some apps as paid downloads, there are plenty of people on android who would pay for official apps once they've tried it and seen for themselves.
    And hopefully blackberry realises that some apps are better off as a one pay download (Keyboard, calendar, Launcher) while others are more fitting for a subscription service (Hub)
    good luck with that theres hundreds of other apps for for anything, on top the paid ones will be cracked by some 11 year old somewhere and put in somewhere where you can get it for free
    11-09-15 11:55 AM
    good luck with that theres hundreds of other apps for for anything, on top the paid ones will be cracked by some 11 year old somewhere and put in somewhere where you can get it for free
    Read what i said.
    There are people who will pay for apps despite them being available for free
    11-09-15 11:57 AM
    This whole thread is comedy.

Posted via CB10 on the Blackberry Q5.
    11-09-15 12:08 PM
    I'm thinking this piece of prose was typed using the hacked Priv VKB?
    11-09-15 12:08 PM
    I've noticed that the downloads for all of the Priv-specific apps on the Google Play store are still at the 1,000 - 5,000 downloads tier, even after opening weekend. I find that worrisome.
    11-09-15 12:10 PM
    I've noticed that the downloads for all of the Priv-specific apps on the Google Play store are still at the 1,000 - 5,000 downloads tier, even after opening weekend. I find that worrisome.
    They (all the uniquely Priv apps) were at that even before the 4NOV updates and of course the subsequent release, so I think they're bogus for now.
    11-09-15 12:14 PM

Ethics aside and whatever -- this keyboard preview is FANTASTIC. Can't wait for the full experience when my Priv arrives -- so excited. Thanks TotalTechvids on turning me on to this
    Indeed, the "ethics aside and whatever" generation.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    11-09-15 12:15 PM
    I'm thinking this piece of prose was typed using the hacked Priv VKB?
    you be wrong all from my classic, ill just wait for the rom
    11-09-15 12:20 PM
    If BlackBerry was adamant of these not working for non-priv users, they would make you sign into the app. lol
    Let the others enjoy the BlackBerry keyboard !
    11-09-15 12:23 PM
    LOL. This is epic!!!

Screen shot please :-)

 Q5 / Z30

Install All the BlackBerry PRIV goodness on ANY Android. Launcher, Keyboard, Hub etc-img_20151109_135108.jpg

Is it possible that whoever patched the keyboard may have done something shady as well?

Or maybe Norton is picking it up as malware because it has access to character input? But this doesn't come up when I install a different keyboard. Good thing my note 5 is just a backup phone I use mostly for webex meetings; keyboard has been deleted and phone wiped.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 12:51 PM
    No app on Play Store is considered Open Source without authorization, a licence or to distribute at will. Just because software is Open Source does not mean you can have it for free every time.

Open Source software is intended for the development community to make better. Some companies just put it out there to be completely free to fork but many do not including all the Google and BlackBerry apps.

Companies like Red Hat and ForgeRock are good examples of Open Source software that requires a licence to use. You can go download and use at anytime but you won't get to tech or bug fix support from them ever.

Brings me back to Play Store apps .. Play Store is only on Android devices otherwise BB10 phones would have access to it. Google won't allow it unless it is on a authorised Android device. This includes the apps on it.
    The mistake this OP is making is the unauthorised distribution and use of the software.
    The Open Source distribution legal language is right on Play Store for all to read.

People will continue to abuse and nothing may ever be done about it and that is just really unfortunate in my opinion.
    What do you all think Apple would do if techies started to hack and distribute their apps from their istore? Again, we are not talking about Android OS but Apps on Play Store..

Maybe OP should hack Spotify premium service app and distribute and see what happens.

posted from my Priv!
    There's jailbreak on ios it's fun and worse than what's happening here
    11-09-15 12:59 PM
    There's jailbreak on ios it's fun and worse than what's happening here
    I agree.
    11-09-15 01:28 PM
    Thanks. Just uploading the Priv vs iPhone 6S at the moment, Loser was thrown to the ground
    11-09-15 03:26 PM
    Moved to the new forum Android BlackBerry Phones & OS/Android Apps
    (Forum for discussion of Android apps on the Priv, rooting, etc.)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-09-15 04:04 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151109_135108.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	379748

Is it possible that whoever patched the keyboard may have done something shady as well?

Or maybe Norton is picking it up as malware because it has access to character input? But this doesn't come up when I install a different keyboard. Good thing my note 5 is just a backup phone I use mostly for webex meetings; keyboard has been deleted and phone wiped.

Posted via CB10
    AFAIK, AV on mobile use mainly a white list (plus probably a checksum based engine) to detect abnormal/suspicious apps.
    Since the app has been modified (a bit would suffice), the checksum will not match, thus the alert.
    Now, good luck to know if it's only the patch or if there's some more extra "features" within the app.
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-09-15 04:57 PM
    AFAIK, AV on mobile use mainly a white list (plus probably a checksum based engine) to detect abnormal/suspicious apps.
    Since the app has been modified (a bit would suffice), the checksum will not match, thus the alert.
    Now, good luck to know if it's only the patch or if there's some more extra "features" within the app.
    Thank you for providing more clarity, I didn't know it worked like that. As for the code itself, I would rather not worry about it, just wiped the device, will download again once it's available in playstore, if that ever happens lol.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-09-15 05:40 PM
    Honestly if a user isn't willing to take the risks or decompile the apk and check the code they shouldnt be downloading from somewhere that isn't the play store.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-09-15 05:47 PM
208 ... 45678 ...