What makes you say that? Once everyone finds out about this, no one will pay for the apps, let alone get the new BlackBerry Priv. BlackBerry needs to seriously do something in regards to this.
    If this were true none of the developers on the play store would have any money. All apks can be found elsewhere on the internet without their usual cost attached.

And yet people still buy from the Playstore and enjoy the automatic updates and security benefits of doing so....

A small percentage of the total users have the knowledge or inclination to participate in the activities on Xda, and even within this community on Xda, a lot of us are developers.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-08-15 11:39 PM
    You might note I said it was probably not ethical. But my syntax might have been a bit wonky.

If someone wants to sell the blackberry keyboard on a forum = wrong

If someone modifies it and tries to pass the work off as their own = wrong

Installing an unmodified apk on a device it wasn't intended for =... I personally put it in the same category as downloading TV shows from another country off the internet. That is, technically wrong, but for the most part socially acceptable.

Seeing as the apps are not paid apps, no one is cheating blackberry out of money. And ultimately if they enjoy the apps they are in fact more likely to take a serious look at the device they come from and that could make blackberry money.

Many manufacturers actually acknowledge what happens on Xda.

And just on your car metaphor, I wouldn't hijack a car to try it. But if my mates got one I might take it for a spin and if I like it....I'll buy it.
    I like your argument but I wouldn't wager too much in overcoming an IP suit by using it
    11-08-15 11:45 PM
    I like your argument but I wouldn't wager too much in overcoming an IP suit using it
    But this is ultimately why you have the tick that little box in the settings menu to install third party apks.....and why it's not ticked by default.

Any time you stray from the intended usage of a device it is up to the user to mitigate the risks.

Be they security, reliability or legally related.
    Last edited by ajgftw; 11-08-15 at 11:50 PM. Reason: My poor spelling
    11-08-15 11:48 PM
    But this is ultimately why you have the tick that little box in the settings menu to install third party apks.....and why it's not ticked by default.

Any time you stray from the intended usage of a device it is up to the user to mitigate the risks.

Be they security, reliability or legally related.
    I don't doubt. However, your statement that BB cannot lose money (now or at any point in the future) by not for now charging for their apps is leaky. A barrister would point out that no charge was applied in order to allow customers a speedy access to the latest versions, coinciding with the launch. The judge would rule that any reasonably knowledgeable person would anticipate that, given the caveats that were placed (i.e. Priv only access) and find that there would be a case and apply damages.
    11-08-15 11:59 PM
    Apparently, not many of you understand how security works in or on a device. Security isn't stopping an app you VOLUNTARILY installed from accessing your location multiple times, and/or randomly using your data. Security is alerting you of a potentially harmful app, file, software, etc is being downloaded and installed. Ultimately, it is up to you to gain knowledge on what apps and app sources are potentially harmful to your device and data, not the kind of data needed to access Internet service. Security is making it impossible for exploits like 'Stagefright' to install on your phone and steal information. Extracting apks is far from being unethical. The Android system uses Android application PacKages, apks, in which every app on the device is in this format. If you have access to the root of the system, you are able to find these apks and share. Sharing something given free is in no means unethical.

My Z10 is better than yours!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-09-15 12:00 AM
    . Agree, that most (99.9%) won't want to patch or always have to download outside of Play Store.
    Still disgusted of stealing code that is not for distribution...

posted from my Priv!
    You still talking this same BS?

I thought we covered this yesterday........
    Mecca EL and reeneebob like this.
    11-09-15 12:01 AM
    You still talking this same BS?

I thought we covered this yesterday........
    There's not much on the TV tonight...
    TotalTechvids and werkregen like this.
    11-09-15 12:04 AM
    There's not much on the TV tonight...
    Lol
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-09-15 12:04 AM
    I don't doubt. However, your statement that BB cannot lose money (now or at any point in the future) by not for now charging for their apps is leaky. A barrister would point out that no charge was applied in order to allow customers a speedy access to the latest versions, coinciding with the launch. The judge would rule that any reasonably knowledgeable person would anticipate that, given the caveats that were placed (i.e. Priv only access) and find that there would be a case and apply damages.
    A barrister would say that, and that's exactly what you would expect. I meant the third party app box simply prevented the average user from unknowingly ending up in a situation where they face a judge 😉

I have also said previously in this thread that if an app is only intended for a particular device it should be coded that way or its just bad/lazy/poorly thought out programming.

I suspect they will adjust their apps in the future to be more strict.
    11-09-15 12:08 AM
    Lol
    Totally enjoyed your provisional review btw.
    TotalTechvids likes this.
    11-09-15 12:09 AM
    A barrister would say that, and that's exactly what you would expect. I meant the third party app box simply prevented the average user from unknowingly ending up in a situation where they face a judge ��

I have also said previously in this thread that if an app is only intended for a particular device it should be coded that way or its just bad/lazy/poorly thought out programming.

I suspect they will adjust their apps in the future to be more strict.
    We'll agree to differ but If I leave my car unlocked, it doesn't mean you can nick it....
    TotalTechvids likes this.
    11-09-15 12:11 AM
    Wish BBRY would just get these running on M and yes charge for them! I would happily pay for a hub on my Nexus, a decent calendar app (not sure we have that yet but better than stock android). They waited so long to make BBM cross platform it lost relevance and companies with lesser products innovated to build billion dollar valuations....if Chen is building a software company what's he waiting for?
    11-09-15 12:32 AM
    We'll agree to differ but If I leave my car unlocked, it doesn't mean you can nick it....
    And I wouldn't steal it. I might be tempted change your radio presets to help you remember why you should always keep your car locked though. If I left my car unlocked and it got stolen, I'd blame myself for not locking it.

I'm am an app developer, piracy of the apps I make is a problem that can only ultimately be mitigated by me. I would never rely on the good nature of people to protect my revenue.
    11-09-15 12:34 AM
    The stuff in these apks is OK but a subscription? You might get some android users to pay a one-off of maybe as high as $3 or $4 but a subscription? No.
    11-09-15 02:27 AM
    My take on this is those APKs are BlackBerry's property and they are meant to be used on the devices BlackBerry wants them to be used on.

I don't blame any skilled developer who was able to run it on other devices than the ones BlackBerry meant, because BlackBerry took the approach for the world of Android where anything is possible.

They should put in their measurements to focus more on protecting their property using their security measurements. There is got to be a way to make those apps used only on the devices they want them to.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 04:26 AM
    Apparently, not many of you understand how security works in or on a device. Security isn't stopping an app you VOLUNTARILY installed from accessing your location multiple times, and/or randomly using your data. Security is alerting you of a potentially harmful app, file, software, etc is being downloaded and installed. Ultimately, it is up to you to gain knowledge on what apps and app sources are potentially harmful to your device and data, not the kind of data needed to access Internet service. Security is making it impossible for exploits like 'Stagefright' to install on your phone and steal information. Extracting apks is far from being unethical. The Android system uses Android application PacKages, apks, in which every app on the device is in this format. If you have access to the root of the system, you are able to find these apks and share. Sharing something given free is in no means unethical.

My Z10 is better than yours!
    Is it Security or just Privacy?

I think most average none tech type people would expect an app like DTECK to work like a PC Based Virus Scanner... detect and stop, not detect and notify.

But Chen has been very careful to talk mainly about Privacy with the PRIV.

As for the APPS....don't think non-BlackBerry consumers were ever going to buy them anyway. The BlackBerry Experience is most likely a enterprise "solution" and enterprise is going to want to install them via their corporate Work Space.
    11-09-15 07:31 AM
    The stuff in these apks is OK but a subscription? You might get some android users to pay a one-off of maybe as high as $3 or $4 but a subscription? No.
    Really? $4 one-time? This is not Candy Crush, this is a productivity suite that makes an Android phone actually USEFUL. I'd expect up to $50 for one-time or annual and up to $5 for monthly subscription.
    11-09-15 10:27 AM
    Really? $4 one-time? This is not Candy Crush, this is a productivity suite that makes an Android phone actually USEFUL. I'd expect up to $50 for one-time or annual and up to $5 for monthly subscription.
    This is android land - nobody is paying $50, nobody
    MACKSnare519 and Ihauntu2 like this.
    11-09-15 10:39 AM
    Of course there's a point in buying the Priv. You can use these ripped apks on other androids but you will have to reload them every time there's an update manually instead of GPS doing it on its own. It's menial but ya know....oh and that slide out keyboard duh
    ... AND grant full trust those who provide these modified APKs.
    Basically, you have no guardian here to tell you what's happening behind the scene.

Please note : I do know some are well known and trusted "white hackers".
    Still, these modified apps - pardon my relative ignorance thus maybe wrong terms - have weakened (by nature) protections and can be as much many "relays" for attacks. And unlike with Priv/DTEK, nothing will inform you that "uh-oh; that app is accessing something you may not want".

I'm yet to see any of these APKs with the slightest modification ported back on a PRIV and curious how they'll operate. Of course, it means at least that you have to allow "external / non trusted sources" install, to begin with.

What I mean here is that the typical users who will do that kind of stuff are probably already using highly customizable devices (rootable ones, to simplify) and that IMHO there is a very tiny chance they'd be using a locked Priv anyways.
    Last but not least, we know BlackBerry Experience suite will be released soon enough to a broader range of Android devices and even at cost - remain to be proved it'll not be free a la BBM - they'll probably offer a way more comfortable experience (usage, upgrade, security).

So ... let the kids play !
    11-09-15 11:01 AM
    I'm going to clean up in a bit. This is thread on 'how to' not if it's legal or not, ethical or not... go and start your own thread on it please....

edit: it may take some time, so yeah go ahead and argue else where .... I will get around to it when I have time.
    11-09-15 11:04 AM
    I think most average none tech type people would expect an app like DTECK to work like a PC Based Virus Scanner... detect and stop, not detect and notify.
    You have numbers of AV in Android world if you expect such behaviors. Sadly, they're mostly "white/black listing" based and can also imply performances issues. DTEK is a fast and easy setup assistant that will alert you about key points and give a more readable POV of your security related tunings.
    11-09-15 11:08 AM
    Arrest this man!!

You wouldn't download a car!
    Tell that to Gran Turismo fans!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Yatezy like this.
    11-09-15 11:12 AM
    You're crazy. Only for thinking this.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-09-15 11:14 AM
    I love how some people have suddenly become very ethical when they were more then happy to install BB10 leaks a while back
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-09-15 11:15 AM
    I installed the keyboard on my note 5 but I keep getting prompt saying that the apk is infected with malware!

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-09-15 11:22 AM
208 ... 34567 ...