i think it works on lollipop only but not 100% sure on that`
    It work's on lollipop and some have got it working on older builds 5.0 and up
    11-08-15 04:38 PM
    All BlackBerry has to do to stop this is issue a cease and desist. Not that it will stop you distribution but it would protect them from further hacking on sites like XDA.

Posted via CB10
    TotalTechvids likes this.
    11-08-15 04:58 PM
    Exactly, a lot of people seem to be getting worked up about this and I think it's because they don't understand some of the concepts at play here.

SOME of the apps can be run on Any android device (provided it is running the same or newer android version). Some other apps require root access to install, and some others will require modifying to make them work.

This is the same for any android device and the apps the manufacturer makes for it.

Now all of this is only possible at this one particular moment in time and updates to the apps, updates to Android or even a sun flare could mean none of these apps work anymore.

That is the fragile nature of what we will loosely call a 'hack'.

None of this is a commentary on the security of the Priv or the broader availability of the apps that come with it.
    well then, i guess i won't be installing or hacking anything...not that i know anything about tech stuff.

thanks for explaining
    11-08-15 05:48 PM
    Does the BlackBerry Launcher let you remove the Google widget? I don't have the Priv yet, but when I do get it I don't want no lame Google search widget blocking my wallpaper.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 05:49 PM
    Not just that. BB10 made it too hard for the average Joe and Jane to tinker, so they just accepted and became bitter. Now that we're able to tinker again, it's now become wrong and akin to pirating, etc. We were doing this before there was even an Android. All the non-contributing crybabies, that KNOW they lack the knowhow to have fun on a PHONE, step out of the way of those that like to pave the way. All the tree hugging is annoying. I had to read back through all the threads I've created, all the solutions I've posted, all the help I've provided to people that actually needed it, and remind myself that I'm a Tinkerer.

I feel like I'm trapped in a boot loop, and this is the Z10 days when we were OSBB and BerryLeaks, and we did what we did because it was F...U...N!!! Guess what? Cracking apps is FUN, rooting the Priv will be FUN, sharing the love is FUN.
    YEP! I learned a lot and enjoyed all the leaks, the Porsche clock, learning how to sideload, blah blah - and I do medicine! You guys are awesome.

Edit: still will buy the Priv! Plan on buying an old Galaxy S5 just to mess with

SQW 100-4 / 10.3.2.2789
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-08-15 06:01 PM
    All BlackBerry has to do to stop this is issue a cease and desist. Not that it will stop you distribution but it would protect them from further hacking on sites like XDA.
    11-08-15 06:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Cease and Desist what? Where were you when we were leaking BB10 OS...installing them?
    I bet you have Sachesi and DBBT on your computer...
    Or maybe you skipped BB10 tools, and used BBSAK or BBTools...No?
    Wait....I bet I find a screen shot or post from you celebrating having the sideloaded Porsche Clock on your Z10 or you sideloaded Snap, or installed Lucky Patcher following Cobalts instructions?

The next BlackBerry Lawyer that's not LGM or Wu Wei, I'm going to go through your post history and calling you out.
    11-08-15 06:18 PM
    Does the BlackBerry Launcher let you remove the Google widget? I don't have the Priv yet, but when I do get it I don't want no lame Google search widget blocking my wallpaper.

Posted via CB10
    Check out a couple of the Screen Shot threads. I see some folks without the Google banner.
    11-08-15 06:21 PM
    Exactly,

If a user wants to use the blackberry keyboard on their device, it is obviously never going to be as streamlined as the native experience they would get on the priv itself.

No different to running mac OS on a Windows computer.

The appeal of android (to me at least) is a user has options.

And so right now as an android user considering purchasing a priv, I can go to the hassle of installing installing their keyboard on my current android device and have a look, get a taste.

Is it 100% ethical, probably not technically, but no one is profiting from blackberry software other than blackberry in this case.
    How's it ethical? If you want to test drive a car you don't just hijack one on the street

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-08-15 06:29 PM
    So what is BlackBerry doing about this. Now most people will just get the apps and put them on their existing devices versus getting BlackBerry Priv.
    11-08-15 08:25 PM
    So what is BlackBerry doing about this. Now most people will just get the apps and put them on their existing devices versus getting BlackBerry Priv.
    Most people? Maybe 1 in 10000.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-08-15 08:27 PM
    Does anyone have any luck getting the BlackBerry keyboard to click when typing on a non Priv? I have it set to on but there's no sound. The system sound for typing is on, and my phone does click when touching other icons and with the stock LG keyboard. Just can't get sound on BlackBerry keyboard.

No big deal, but I do like the click!

11-08-15 08:32 PM
    Yes it does Click on my Note 4!

11-08-15 08:37 PM
    Most people? Maybe 1 in 10000.

What makes you say that? Once everyone finds out about this, no one will pay for the apps, let alone get the new BlackBerry Priv. BlackBerry needs to seriously do something in regards to this.
    11-08-15 08:44 PM
    Welcome to Android. Nokia tried having Nokia-specific apps on their X platform but those were leaked and patched soon after release. BB want to play in the Android pool/cesspit, they have be willing to see their apps cracked and distributed.

I still think the privacy aspect of the Priv is overrated. DTEK only shows you potential privacy violations but does nothing about them - you can't restrict permissions per app like on modified Android platforms such as CM, MIUI or Blackphone. You can't do fine grained permissions control like with Xprivacy, where you can spoof data (hey Facebook, I was in Timbuktu, now I'm on Christmas Island!) or limit visible contacts to a specified few. So what exactly is the point? If I wanted real security, I would rather get a Blackphone instead of trusting BB's word on the Priv.
    11-08-15 08:46 PM
    What makes you say that? Once everyone finds out about this, no one will pay for the apps, let alone get the new BlackBerry Priv. BlackBerry needs to seriously do something in regards to this.
    The core Android community frowns on warez. If they become paid, they'd disappear from XDA.

The vast majority of Android users won't care. Much ado about nothing.
    TotalTechvids and Mecca EL like this.
    11-08-15 08:52 PM
    some here need to learn the beauty of an Android OS. I spent a lot of time making my phones truly mine glad something like apps and customization are back on a BB.

The biggest USP the slider has going for is of course the physical keyboard and it's somewhat scrolling like ability
    TotalTechvids and j21jam6 like this.
    11-08-15 08:55 PM
    The core Android community frowns on warez. If they become paid, they'd disappear from XDA.

The vast majority of Android users won't care. Much ado about nothing.
    Agree that most android users won't care or have any desire to use these apps
    11-08-15 09:17 PM
    Agree that most android users won't care or have any desire to use these apps
    . Agree, that most (99.9%) won't want to patch or always have to download outside of Play Store.
    Still disgusted of stealing code that is not for distribution...

posted from my Priv!
    11-08-15 09:23 PM
    . Agree, that most (99.9%) won't want to patch or always have to download outside of Play Store.
    Still disgusted of stealing code that is not for distribution...

posted from my Priv!
    True, but BlackBerry doesn't have any moral ground to complain.
    11-08-15 09:25 PM
    How's it ethical? If you want to test drive a car you don't just hijack one on the street

Posted via CB10
    Clearly some individuals, to further your metaphor, could steal a car and rationalize it in some way (at least to themselves) as being just a bit of fun.
    11-08-15 09:30 PM
    this should be merged with the sticky thread
    11-08-15 09:31 PM
    What was said and what is actually happening are a lot of times two different things. I picked up a Priv yesterday and there is no privacy with this phone. It can show you where your privacy is being breached bit it can't do anything to stop it short of uninstalling the apps that are breaching it. Chrome out of the box is mining your data anlong with several other apps and this is par for the course with Android.
    It's always entertaining when clueless people try to sound smart...
    11-08-15 09:39 PM
    Software is just a bunch of 0s and 1s. You can always hack and Crack it.
    With Android, it's literally an open book so I suspected it would be available from day one.

Posted via CB10
    It's just getting funnier and funnier by every post...
    11-08-15 09:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    You might note I said it was probably not ethical. But my syntax might have been a bit wonky.

If someone wants to sell the blackberry keyboard on a forum = wrong

If someone modifies it and tries to pass the work off as their own = wrong

Installing an unmodified apk on a device it wasn't intended for =... I personally put it in the same category as downloading TV shows from another country off the internet. That is, technically wrong, but for the most part socially acceptable.

Seeing as the apps are not paid apps, no one is cheating blackberry out of money. And ultimately if they enjoy the apps they are in fact more likely to take a serious look at the device they come from and that could make blackberry money.

Many manufacturers actually acknowledge what happens on Xda.

And just on your car metaphor, I wouldn't hijack a car to try it. But if my mates got one I might take it for a spin and if I like it....I'll buy it.
    11-08-15 11:31 PM
208 ... 23456 ...