Lol so much for security. The clock is ticking before this device is rooted.
    Huge difference between extracting apks and rooting
    11-07-15 08:24 PM
    Blackberry needs to get the software suites released, and the hacking of apks will wind down. I support Blackberry, and I want my old keyboard back, i'd happily pay for it now...but I cant. as soon as I can, I will. In the meantime....what will people do? Sadly, they'll make it happen. unethicly...
    sayf777 likes this.
    11-07-15 08:29 PM
    So where can I download these apk's?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:29 PM
    So where can I download these apk's?

Posted via CB10
    Links to the APK are in the video description.
    11-07-15 08:30 PM
    Pinot2015

Take it easy, 99.9% won't do this, Why iPhone sell so much...easy to work with ...Why BlackBerry user want PRIV....so tired to sideload Android stuff and patch it. Those who will do this Would not buy a New device anaway.

I see this as free pub for BlackBerry PRIV

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 09:06 PM
    Pretty nice. Hope they add Japanese and Korean input support.

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    11-07-15 09:13 PM
    Still waiting on my Priv from BBShop (shocking) -- just side loaded the keyboard and holy hell it's just as amazing as I remember on the Z10 -- like I can't describe to you how much I've hated on screen virtual keyboards till I used it on my Z10 -- now that I see it in action on an android I'm in love with it AGAIN (i've used the iphone/moto x on and off then back to passport for a while).

Ethics aside and whatever -- this keyboard preview is FANTASTIC. Can't wait for the full experience when my Priv arrives -- so excited. Thanks TotalTechvids on turning me on to this
    TotalTechvids, Mecca EL and -Puck- like this.
    11-07-15 09:52 PM
    What was said and what is actually happening are a lot of times two different things. I picked up a Priv yesterday and there is no privacy with this phone. It can show you where your privacy is being breached bit it can't do anything to stop it short of uninstalling the apps that are breaching it. Chrome out of the box is mining your data anlong with several other apps and this is par for the course with Android.
    I'm not sure what level of privacy you expected it to have??

besides, it's android, any app that you don't like, don't use, there are plenty of alternatives, including google apps.

you don't need to use the play store even. you can also control a particular apps access to elements of your information. (this functionality is further expanded in Android marshmellow and extends even to system apps)

I doesn't matter how good a devices security is if the user isn't using it with data security in mind.
    JGoodard likes this.
    11-07-15 10:16 PM
    It's ok but BlackBerry needs to block it somehow.

Even if they officially launch on google play for all devices, they will just lose more and more money they could have made on a fewer handset.

Also it didn't give a good impression of the so called privacy and security. Seems they did not do their job properly on securing the apps.
    I won't be shocked if it is rooted in next 24 hours.

Posted via CB10
    TotalTechvids likes this.
    11-07-15 10:19 PM
    What is funny is how many folks just "knew" this would be impossible.

I'm surprised that BBRY didn't add some major framework hooks to prevent it though.
    Mecca EL and JeepBB like this.
    11-07-15 10:21 PM
    It's ok but BlackBerry needs to block it somehow.

Even if they officially launch on google play for all devices, they will just lose more and more money they could have made on a fewer handset.

Also it didn't give a good impression of the so called privacy and security. Seems they did not do their job properly on securing the apps.
    I won't be shocked if it is rooted in next 24 hours.

Posted via CB10
    you may need to read more about
    1. the security measures blackberry has implemented
    2. how root works on android, in particular how it works on android 5.1.1
    3. software security in general and in particular the different between porting an apk and accessing someones data

Privacy is not the restriction of access to software, its the restriction of access to data
    11-07-15 10:25 PM
    you may need to read more about
    1. the security measures blackberry has implemented
    2. how root works on android, in particular how it works on android 5.1.1
    3. software security in general and in particular the different between porting an apk and accessing someones data

Privacy is not the restriction of access to software, its the restriction of access to data
    I tend to agree.

I do not see this as a privacy or security failure.
    11-07-15 10:26 PM
    Even if you can get these apps by sideloading them, I am not sure you can update them automatically? Sideloading them for every version update could get pretty inconvenient.

In the end of the day you get Priv from BB10 phones so you don't have to sideload Google Play Service and Google Services, and you get Priv from other Android phones so you don't want to sideload BlackBerry Apps. If you don't mind sideloading something, you do have other options.

But for most people they probably just get Priv.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-07-15 10:34 PM
    Phew* as long as the folks at XDA don't figure out how to sideload a sliding keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:39 PM
    Even if you can get these apps by sideloading them, I am not sure you can update them automatically? Sideloading them for every version update could get pretty inconvenient.

In the end of the day you get Priv from BB10 phones so you don't have to sideload Google Play Service and Google Services, and you get Priv from other Android phones so you don't want to sideload BlackBerry Apps. If you don't mind sideloading something, you do have other options.

But for most people they probably just get Priv.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Exactly,

If a user wants to use the blackberry keyboard on their device, it is obviously never going to be as streamlined as the native experience they would get on the priv itself.

No different to running mac OS on a Windows computer.

The appeal of android (to me at least) is a user has options.

And so right now as an android user considering purchasing a priv, I can go to the hassle of installing installing their keyboard on my current android device and have a look, get a taste.

Is it 100% ethical, probably not technically, but no one is profiting from blackberry software other than blackberry in this case.
    TotalTechvids likes this.
    11-07-15 10:44 PM
    Phew* as long as the folks at XDA don't figure out how to sideload a sliding keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, it's funny cus it's so impossible....but a part of me is deeply saddened that I don't live in a reality where it's possible.
    11-07-15 10:47 PM
    It was just last week when I was patching and sideloading apps to my Z30.

Now they know how it feels wanting to use apps not intended for your device lol.

via BlackBerry Priv using CB for Android
    11-07-15 10:50 PM
    I'm not sure what level of privacy you expected it to have??

besides, it's android, any app that you don't like, don't use, there are plenty of alternatives, including google apps.

you don't need to use the play store even. you can also control a particular apps access to elements of your information. (this functionality is further expanded in Android marshmellow and extends even to system apps)

I doesn't matter how good a devices security is if the user isn't using it with data security in mind.
    Well it is called the Priv, for Privacy.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-07-15 10:53 PM
    wow that's great thank you so much

The xda thread with instructions of here http://forum.xda-developers.com/blac...3234045/page35
    11-07-15 10:56 PM
    Well it is called the Priv, for Privacy.
    yes but privacy can be a little subjective...

for some people it is about being able to loose their phone and know that someone can't pick it up and access their data (provided they have a proper pin or password) and the priv excels at this.

for some people it is about being able to communicate with others without worrying about it being intercepted....

and yes, for some they also want privacy from corporations, but this was never going to be the case on a Google endorsed android device. Google, to provide the services it advertises, needs access to your information. I'm sure I don't need to explain that all the personalised services that Google offer require personal information to work.

However, you can simply choose to opt out of all the google services, you can install another app store like F-Droid, that only supports open source applications where you can view the source code and see exactly how they handle your data.
    NtotheK likes this.
    11-07-15 11:02 PM
    It was just last week when I was patching and sideloading apps to my Z30.

Now they know how it feels wanting to use apps not intended for your device lol.

via BlackBerry Priv using CB for Android
    Aren't these BlackBerry apps made for Android?
    TotalTechvids and jaydee5799 like this.
    11-07-15 11:06 PM
    Aren't these BlackBerry apps made for Android?
    Yes for BlackBerry's android phone.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-07-15 11:11 PM
    As pluto7443, thanks for the shoutout. I do want to point out, as I edited the OP on the thread to say, I only made a list of what others did.
    11-07-15 11:30 PM
    Blackberry should sell an Android launcher.
    11-07-15 11:42 PM
    So your stance is that because I am using the blackberry priv keyboard on another phone, blackberry as a company is doomed?

Ignoring of course the fact that many major phone manufacturers have had their keyboards,launchers, apps ported to work on other devices....

Why don't you read through this thread here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...-apps-t3059096

And tell me which of the manufacturers in the list have been sent broke by Porting their apps?
    i will not read it and you can tell me what's the priv will offer more than any android phones offer and blackberry was expecting it to be special and thought it will get the company back to the race don't compare blackberry with others who is released more than 5 devices in the year and offering more improvement Sony is giving water resistant, Samsung offering you everything in the world you can buy android phone if you got 10 dollars with Samsung you can get with any price, Huawei now made fingerprint with special improvement in they software, really who will get interest now in blackberry phone with 700$ and nothing special, the physical keyboard is nothing slide phone who cares we got a damn so cool display out there

Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2977 Via CB
    11-07-15 11:51 PM
208 1234 ...