Since then conite has been trying to re-write history by telling us the HUB was never meant to be anything on Android other than a notification aggregator and and email app.
    SMS was always performed by a separate app. I'm not sure what you're on about.

It's no different from the other 40 some odd apps that the HUB collects notifications for.

And the only change is that you can't see the last sent SMS message at first glance when scrolling through the HUB.

And yes, it IS Google's "fault". One has to work within the confines of Material Design when one is using Android as the base OS. If you don't, you lose Google certification. If you lose Google certification, you lose all of their apps - including Play Store.

If you are now in fact requiring BlackBerry to develop (for the first time on Android) an email client as part of the HUB, and therefore enter into the fray of obtaining and forever re-obtaining certifications from all carriers around the globe, then, yes, the HUB may not be for you going forward. BlackBerry has clearly done the math, and doing this would not gain them enough net subscriptions to come close to breaking even.

There is no spin. There is no patronizing. There is no "mantra". Just straight-up facts.
    Last edited by conite; 03-05-19 at 09:58 AM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-05-19 09:38 AM
    Just got the update today. So the Hub is no more. It's now officially called "Inbox".

Well, at least BlackBerry is being honest about it.
    03-05-19 02:46 PM
    Just got the update today. So the Hub is no more. It's now officially called "Inbox".

Well, at least BlackBerry is being honest about it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6168240376.jpg
    Will BB get sued by Google now? As Google has copyrighted the name 'Inbox'...
    03-05-19 04:14 PM
    Interesting point, LOL. Actually, for legal purposes its official new name is the BlackBerry Hub+ Inbox, to be exact. Or just "Inbox" if you are looking for it in the app drawer. Definitely no longer a HUB though. And rightfully so, IMO.

If I can say anything good about it, it seems to run much faster now. One benefit to removing unnecessary code, I suppose.
    03-05-19 04:41 PM
    Even if google's fault, perception is Blackberry screwed up.Hub on IOS-screenshot_20190307-143832.jpegHub on IOS-screenshot_20190307-143908.jpegHub on IOS-screenshot_20190307-143934.jpegHub on IOS-screenshot_20190307-144012.jpeg
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-07-19 07:45 AM
    "Staying positive" is one way of putting it. When your app only collects email, sms, call logs, and notifications - losing 2/4 of those things either partially or in their entirety is a big deal. I'm sorry but there is no nice way of saying it.

The unified strategy between CB and BlackBerry from the beginning has been to blame Google. Apparently, making improvements to Android is a bad thing, at least when BlackBerry fails to keep up. It started with Bla1ze's Feb 22 CB news article, and the "blame Google" mantra was echoed almost immediately by Blackberry employees on this site. Since then conite has been trying to re-write history by telling us the HUB was never meant to be anything on Android other than a notification aggregator and and email app. That's a convenient narrative when its all you have left.

You can be sure Bla1ze will be referring back to his Feb22 news article in earnest when the complaints start rolling in.

I'm not getting personal with anyone. However, whenever you patronize customers you can expect to hear it. The truth is BlackBerry deserves some criticism and needs to pick up their game. If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. At the end of the day, if BlackBerry fails to address this adequately, its not my problem. If the app no longer suits my needs I'll just take my subscription support elsewhere, as will others, and perhaps even people using BlackBerry devices will have one less reason to buy one.
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking that. The reviews in Google Play are a sewer of discontent, myself included. If all I can see is email and half baked SMS and call log (WHOEVER fault it is - I don't care), then Outlook is just as good as anything else. Hub was the only real thing lacking in iOS that kept me in Priv/Android land. At this point, defecting to Apple isn't a bad option. I hope more people do like I did - delete the BB app and subscription. They will get the message only when their revenue stream is impacted.

It saddens me to no end - I've been a BB user for YEARS. This was the last straw of getting sand kicked in my face and telling me it's "OK".
    03-07-19 02:08 PM
    Inbox is generic. Inbox by Gmail is not generic. Google would have a TOOOOOOOON of people to sue if they wanted to chase 'Inbox'. Besides, Inbox by Gmail is dead.
    03-07-19 02:31 PM
    You can be sure Bla1ze will be referring back to his Feb22 news article in earnest when the complaints start rolling in.
    I will, because it's Google's 'fault' lol. You act as if other applications also weren't affected by the changes. Some worked around it, others pulled their apps and made them available through APK downloads, others just sucked it up and removed features. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...d-by-millions/

BlackBerry did what they could. If you feel as though it's less useful now, fine. You're certainly not going to be the only one but eh, is what it is. It's not the first stupid thing Google has done that affected the platform and caused developers to make changes and it's not going to be the last.
    03-07-19 02:39 PM
    I will, because it's Google's 'fault' lol. You act as if other applications also weren't affected by the changes. Some worked around it, others pulled their apps and made them available through APK downloads, others just sucked it up and removed features. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...d-by-millions/

BlackBerry did what they could. If you feel as though it's less useful now, fine. You're certainly not going to be the only one but eh, is what it is. It's not the first stupid thing Google has done that affected the platform and caused developers to make changes and it's not going to be the last.
    So you think its Google's fault, good to know. Unfortunately, Android was a huge a mess and "stupid Google" has done a lot of work to clean it up. Including hiring an ex-BlackBerry security guru. I would much rather see Android move forward and BlackBerry along with it, but apparently that is too much to ask.

You're right though, no big deal if people like me stop using the Suite if the Hub is now an Inbox, and stupid BlackBerry can't do what it takes to keep up with stupid Google. I'm already shopping around for a new inbox app. Maybe I'll stick with BlackBerry, maybe I won't. I have to say, I'm running out of reasons. And the attitude I see here and from BlackBerry isn't helping.

TCL has almost completely weaned me off ever returning to a keyboard, thanks to their lacklustre imitation BlackBerry's. Now, BlackBerry's lack of investment in its apps is putting me off the software as well. Version 2 was supposed to be a renovatrion, not a demolition. And I was looking forward to giving BlackBerry Mobile another chance when and if the Key3 finally rolls out, but perhaps I'm wasting my time. It seems the criticism of today's BlackBerry being nothing more than a keyboard stuck on a mediocre Android phone - and the rest being a bunch of overblown (and overpriced) BS - is turning out to be true after all. Stupid me for not realizing that was the actual business plan!
    SkinnerVic and elfabio80 like this.
    03-07-19 03:52 PM
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking that. The reviews in Google Play are a sewer of discontent, myself included. If all I can see is email and half baked SMS and call log (WHOEVER fault it is - I don't care), then Outlook is just as good as anything else. Hub was the only real thing lacking in iOS that kept me in Priv/Android land. At this point, defecting to Apple isn't a bad option. I hope more people do like I did - delete the BB app and subscription. They will get the message only when their revenue stream is impacted.

It saddens me to no end - I've been a BB user for YEARS. This was the last straw of getting sand kicked in my face and telling me it's "OK".
    Canceling may be the only way to send a message. Not that a coordinated effort will be needed anyway, though. Most of us were already halfway out the door. BlackBerry may have just finally given us an excuse to leave once and for all.
    SkinnerVic likes this.
    03-07-19 03:56 PM
    Canceling may be the only way to send a message. Not that a coordinated effort will be needed anyway, though. Most of us were already halfway out the door. BlackBerry may have just finally given us an excuse to leave once and for all.
    Correct on many levels including your response to Bla1ze. We both know he's in a place where he "officially" can't bite the hand that feeds. I feel for him too - his success is tied to a millstone that finally got pushed into the proverbial sea IMHO.

For the BB fanboi faithful, and without any humble introspection on their part, it will always be someone, anyone else's fault for the myriad of the consecutive bad (intentional or otherwise) steps by BB to hose their hardware business and now their software without a fight. Personally, I couldn't move to the TCL handsets after my Priv - just. couldn't. do. it.

I now live on a LG V30+ and it just works, but there are things I see on iOS that are helpful in my realm just calling me. This flub was just the final nail in the coffin and the only app I was holding onto that kept me sticking around on the Android platform.

There will be lots of blame shifting among the BB loyal - it matters little, like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. They can only survive so many self-inflicted wounds before giving up the ghost; and it will be a shame for what it could of been.
    03-07-19 04:21 PM
    So you think its Google's fault, good to know.
    Why do you keep trying to imply it isn't? The developer rules changed and everyone, including BlackBerry, had to adapt. It's not that difficult to track down the root issue here. It's right there, over and over and over. - https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/117486314 If you believe BlackBerry could have done more, than OK. That's reasonable. But at this point, you just sound like you want to argue about it for the sake of arguing.
    03-07-19 05:39 PM
    Correct on many levels including your response to Bla1ze. We both know he's in a place where he "officially" can't bite the hand that feeds. I feel for him too - his success is tied to a millstone that finally got pushed into the proverbial sea IMHO.

For the BB fanboi faithful, and without any humble introspection on their part, it will always be someone, anyone else's fault for the myriad of the consecutive bad (intentional or otherwise) steps by BB to hose their hardware business and now their software without a fight. Personally, I couldn't move to the TCL handsets after my Priv - just. couldn't. do. it.

I now live on a LG V30+ and it just works, but there are things I see on iOS that are helpful in my realm just calling me. This flub was just the final nail in the coffin and the only app I was holding onto that kept me sticking around on the Android platform.

There will be lots of blame shifting among the BB loyal - it matters little, like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. They can only survive so many self-inflicted wounds before giving up the ghost; and it will be a shame for what it could of been.
    LMAO... you do realize that BBMo/TCL sponsor CrackBerry and not BB so BB doesn’t care what Bla1ze says about the software. As far as the BBAppSuite, what’s BB supposed to do? Throw millions of $$$ for a 1/10 the return? Sounding more and more like the BB10 whiners that don’t get it. Apple, Google and Microsoft have exponentially more economic resources than BB for the mobile OS development environment created and controlled by the Big Three companies. BB can’t be expected to waste economic resources when it's obvious, there won’t be a positive ROI for shareholders.
    03-07-19 06:09 PM
    the myriad of the consecutive bad (intentional or otherwise) steps by BB to hose their hardware business and now their software without a fight.

BlackBerry may have just finally given us an excuse to leave once and for all.
    OK. Let's cut to the chase.

What precisely would you have done after reading the changes to come regarding SMS handling from Google?

Don't forget that building their own SMS client wasn't (and still isn't) feasible, as each and every app suite update would be lost in a quagmire of global carrier approvals.
    03-07-19 06:17 PM
    If you believe BlackBerry could have done more, than OK. That's reasonable.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Blaming Google doesn't work. Google drives the Android bus, BlackBerry is along for the ride. I'm not sure what some here believe, but for me it will never be a "fault" to develop and progress. BlackBerry's "solution" for the Android HUB worked in 2015. Even back then it had to make some major compromises. Fast forward to 2019, and the HUB is an Inbox. That's what happens when you fail to invest what is necessary. I suppose it's arguable they should have done that from the beginning, and it's the lack of initial investment that got us here. Doesn't matter. Either way, it's the same problem and the same cause. And it's not Google.
    03-07-19 07:23 PM
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Blaming Google doesn't work. Google drives the Android bus, BlackBerry is along for the ride. I'm not sure what some here believe, but for me it will never be a "fault" to develop and progress. BlackBerry's "solution" for the Android HUB worked in 2015. Even back then it had to make some major compromises. Fast forward to 2019, and the HUB is an Inbox. That's what happens when you fail to invest what is necessary. I suppose it's arguable they should have done that from the beginning, and it's the lack of initial investment that got us here. Doesn't matter. Either way, it's the same problem and the same cause. And it's not Google.
    That is where you are wrong.

BlackBerry doesn't control the OS anymore. You act as if they do. But they don't. End of story.
    03-07-19 07:45 PM
    Sure, if they had the resources. Back then, resources were limited more than now. But, now, other projects offer far greater ROI than BBAppSuite does.
    03-07-19 07:45 PM

What precisely would you have done after reading the changes to come regarding SMS handling from Google?

Don't forget that building their own SMS client wasn't (and still isn't) feasible, as each and every app suite update would be lost in a quagmire of global carrier approvals.
    Yes, let's cut to this chase: we both know BlackBerry has lost or is losing access to SMS and call logs because they don't have their own apps for either. If almost every other Android OEM already figured this out, why doesn't BlackBerry have them? Or more specifically, why isn't TCL making that investment?

I've already seen the excuses that it's impossible, but I'm not buying it. If other Android OEMs figured this out a long time ago and are already doing it, than I see no reason BlackBerry Mobile isn't capable of the same, especially with the much deeper global resources of TCL at its disposal.
    03-07-19 07:47 PM
    That is where you are wrong.

BlackBerry doesn't control the OS anymore. You act as if they do. But they don't. End of story.
    So what part of "Google drives the Android bus" isn't clear to you?
    03-07-19 07:49 PM
    So what part of "Google drives the Android bus" isn't clear to you?
    The part where you're still blaming BlackBerry.
    03-07-19 07:52 PM
    LMAO... you do realize that BBMo/TCL sponsor CrackBerry and not BB so BB doesn’t care what Bla1ze says about the software. As far as the BBAppSuite, what’s BB supposed to do? Throw millions of $$$ for a 1/10 the return? Sounding more and more like the BB10 whiners that don’t get it. Apple, Google and Microsoft have exponentially more economic resources than BB for the mobile OS development environment created and controlled by the Big Three companies. BB can’t be expected to waste economic resources when it's obvious, there won’t be a positive ROI for shareholders.
    Wait until you see BlackBerry's ROI
    for Hub+ after the subscribers bail.

Let's see who is LMAO. It won't be BlackBerry, that's for sure.
    03-07-19 07:52 PM
    The part where you're still blaming BlackBerry.
    LOL. BlackBerry's only explanation for this so far is to blame Google for not getting a special exemption. Who's blaming who? Your argument is a farce.
    03-07-19 07:56 PM

What other small OEMs, that sell product globally through over 100 carrier channels, have their own proprietary SMS client?

Most use Android Messages. The advantages of that is that Google can push carriers around and get the certifications. Plus you can sync your SMS with your PC. Plus they have already cornered the market on RCS.

LG, Motorola, Sony, HTC, ZTE, Nokia, LeEco, all Android One devices, and many others have all agreed to use Android Messages as default.
    Last edited by conite; 03-07-19 at 09:03 PM.
    03-07-19 08:17 PM
    LOL. BlackBerry's only explanation for this so far is to blame Google for not getting a special exemption. Who's blaming who? Your argument is a farce.
    They are blaming Google. I blame Google. All the other developers who are also affected by this are blaming Google.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that BlackBerry isn't the only developer affected. What about all of them? Their fault too?

Good God man, what the heck else do you need? You are just arguing just for the sake of arguing.
    Vince Liew likes this.
    03-07-19 08:17 PM
    Wait until you see BlackBerry's ROI
    for Hub+ after the subscribers bail.

Let's see who is LMAO. It won't be BlackBerry, that's for sure.
    Who cares? It’s higher ROI than any idea you’re proposing. LMAO will still be me. Heck, I’m sure the blind man alongside me too...
    03-07-19 09:10 PM
66 123