What ever happened with Blackberry Hub for IOS? Back in 2016, Blackberry announced it was in the works. 2019 and nothing.
    03-02-19 11:40 AM
    What ever happened with Blackberry Hub for IOS? Back in 2016, Blackberry announced it was in the works. 2019 and nothing.
    You can't properly capture notifications on iOS. So I guess they decided it wasn't going to be of much use.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-02-19 11:58 AM
    It seems Google is reducing the ability to do some of the things that were traditional in the HUB as well. The writing is on the wall.
    03-03-19 03:31 PM
    It seems Google is reducing the ability to do some of the things that were traditional in the HUB as well. The writing is on the wall.
    There is no issue with any received notifications, nor would I expect any in the future.

The specific issue regarding sent SMS messages is not related. (Not that you said it was, just an FYI)
    asiayeah likes this.
    03-03-19 04:19 PM
    Someone did the math and realized most BlackBerry fans (particularly the non-keyboard variety) would take about 30 seconds to switch to an Apple device if that happens.
    03-03-19 04:54 PM
    Someone did the math and realized most BlackBerry fans (particularly the non-keyboard variety) would take about 30 seconds to switch to an Apple device if that happens.
    So... they’re not selling Android VKBs either.. I’m sure BBM for Android/IOS provided some usable ratio to make reasonable guesstimates..
    03-03-19 05:30 PM
    So... they’re not selling Android VKBs either.. I’m sure BBM for Android/IOS provided some usable ratio to make reasonable guesstimates..
    So the Motion isn't an Android VKB then? Last time I checked the Motion was released in 2017. According to OP iOS Hub was being discussed 2016. Funny how that works eh Chuck?
    03-03-19 05:42 PM
    So the Motion isn't an Android VKB then? Last time I checked the Motion was released in 2017. According to OP iOS Hub was being discussed 2016. Funny how that works eh Chuck?
    My statement was that BBMo VKB wasn’t selling as in low demand....FWIW, BB doesn’t seem to care about things other than ROI numbers.. it would appear BB is simply analytical... spend $1 only if netting $1.25 after expenses. Let others bear all the risk in consumer mobile...
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-03-19 08:02 PM
    My statement was that BBMo VKB wasn’t selling as in low demand....FWIW, BB doesn’t seem to care about things other than ROI numbers.. it would appear BB is simply analytical... spend $1 only if netting $1.25 after expenses. Let others bear all the risk in consumer mobile...
    The only calculation that matters here is perception. Even modest success with an iOS HUB, if it were even possible, would undermine the entire licensing scheme.
    03-03-19 10:42 PM
    The only calculation that matters here is perception. Even modest success with an iOS HUB, if it were even possible, would undermine the entire licensing scheme.
    Why?
    03-03-19 11:06 PM
    Hub without an Led? Hmm...
    03-04-19 04:26 AM
    It's no different than Android VKB sales...
    03-04-19 06:57 AM
    Maybe...

But for BlackBerry Ltd. there is probable more money and benefit having an iOS version to be offered along with their Enterprise Software... If it could be done, I expect they would have done it, regardless of any impact on smartphone licensing.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-04-19 07:06 AM
    Maybe...

But for BlackBerry Ltd. there is probable more money and benefit having an iOS version to be offered along with their Enterprise Software... If it could be done, I expect they would have done it, regardless of any impact on smartphone licensing.
    On the contrary. Enterprise or not, BlackBerry HUB, which in its current iteration is little more than a glorified email client, would be quite successful in iOS. Whether or not Apple would allow it, of course, is another question entirely.

No one can deny that a sucessful iOS HUB would be problematic to both the BlackBerry Android project as a whole, and for it's licensees. It could even lead to legal action, if it could be proven BlackBerry users had migrated to iOS rather than opting for the licensees' overpriced midrange (and below) re-branded touchscreen devices. That's lossed revenue, a concept the BlackBerry phone division turned patent trolls understands well.
    03-04-19 09:36 AM
    No one can deny that a sucessful iOS HUB would be problematic to both the BlackBerry Android project as a whole, and for it's licensees. It could even lead to legal action, if it could be proven BlackBerry users had migrated to iOS.
    How is that different from BB10 users migrating to Samsung, Pixel, or Huawei - as most have?

No worries here.
    03-04-19 09:59 AM
    On the contrary. Enterprise or not, BlackBerry HUB, which in its current iteration is little more than a glorified email client, would be quite successful in iOS.
    In its current iteration? It has gained about a dozen apps in the last 2 years.

It is an email client AND notification aggregator - the latter of which can't be replicated on iOS.

I think you place too much emphasis on seeing sent SMS messages while scrolling through the HUB. Since you still have to click on the thread to open the SMS app to engage the other user, I don't see it as having much of an impact.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-04-19 10:02 AM
    On the contrary. Enterprise or not, BlackBerry HUB, which in its current iteration is little more than a glorified email client, would be quite successful in iOS. Whether or not Apple would allow it, of course, is another question entirely.

No one can deny that a sucessful iOS HUB would be problematic to both the BlackBerry Android project as a whole, and for it's licensees. It could even lead to legal action, if it could be proven BlackBerry users had migrated to iOS rather than opting for the licensees' overpriced midrange (and below) re-branded touchscreen devices. That's lossed revenue, a concept the BlackBerry phone division turned patent trolls understands well.
    Yes I think for Enterprise customers that want to offer a unified "work" solution... it would be successful.

It's clear Apple doesn't allow it.

The Android option is already open to other handsets than BBMo or the other licensee. I'm sure that's covered in the contracts. So little worry there...

Would it be good for BlackBerry Ltd.... yes.

Would it hurt BBMo... no. Proable not, as I think they have already figured out their "niche" is the PKB format. I doubt we see another SLAB BlackBerry... unless enterprise sales really pick up, and they ask for it.
    03-04-19 10:14 AM
    I think you place too much emphasis on seeing sent SMS messages while scrolling through the HUB. Since you still have to click on the thread to open the SMS app to engage the other user, I don't see it as having much of an impact.
    And who are you to say what I put "too much emphasis on" ? Is this how the entire BlackBerry profit centre thinks about its customers, or just it's one man PR department?

For your information, I put emphasis on many things when it comes to my device, and the apps I install. Such as March security update I just installed today (thanks Google). A March security update released in March. A monthly security uplate released every month. A great camera, when I need it. Solid hardware and build quality. At least three years of support. Apps that actually do what they say they do. You know, trivial stuff.

As for the HUB, you keep spinning and twisting for BlackBerry just like you always do. Whatever decision they take, however ill considered - you will keep defending, as will the other small cast of characters that jumps on any post on CB critical of BlackBerry.

I've said what I have to say. I think the erosion of the HUB stinks. I think the erosion of SMS integration in the HUB stinks. As does the same happening with call logs. As does "app integration" becoming "notification aggregation". You say there is no choice. I beg to differ. But then again, that response is to be expected from a shameless apologist.
    john_v, elfabio80 and Bbfan1614 like this.
    03-04-19 05:06 PM
    Hub without an Led? Hmm...
    I've got that on my Fire HD 8 Tablet.

Yes, I have the Hub Suite on an Amazon Tablet.
    03-04-19 05:12 PM
    And who are you to say what I put "too much emphasis on" ? Is this how the entire BlackBerry profit centre thinks about its customers, or just it's one man PR department?

For your information, I put emphasis on many things when it comes to my device, and the apps I install. Such as March security update I just installed today (thanks Google). A March security update released in March. A monthly security uplate released every month. A great camera, when I need it. Solid hardware and build quality. At least three years of support. Apps that actually do what they say they do. You know, trivial stuff.

As for the HUB, you keep spinning and twisting for BlackBerry just like you always do. Whatever decision they take, however ill considered - you will keep defending, as will the other small cast of characters that jumps on any post on CB critical of BlackBerry.

I've said what I have to say. I think the erosion of the HUB stinks. I think the erosion of SMS integration in the HUB stinks. As does the same happening with call logs. As does "app integration" becoming "notification aggregation". You say there is no choice. I beg to differ. But then again, that response is to be expected from a shameless apologist.
    Apart from email, the HUB on Android has ALWAYS been a notification aggregator. - that hasn't changed since launch day.

Not being able to access sent SMS messages to display in the HUB was not a "decision".

Losing sent SMS messages, but gaining over a dozen other apps and a new UX does not equate to "erosion".
    asiayeah likes this.
    03-04-19 05:17 PM
    Apart from email, the HUB on Android has ALWAYS been a notification aggregator. - that hasn't changed since launch day.
    More like that's the new official mantra of the BlackBerry spin machine. Not all BlackBerry's customers carry on like frogs in a pot of water being brought to a slow boil. We know what's really going on. Some of us are free to speak our minds and not tow the corporate line.

Looking forward to version 2. Its about to get a lot more interesting around here.
    john_v likes this.
    03-04-19 08:31 PM
    More like that's the new official mantra of the BlackBerry spin machine. Not all BlackBerry's customers carry on like frogs in a pot of water being brought to a slow boil. We know what's really going on. Some of us are free to speak our minds and not tow the corporate line.

Looking forward to version 2. Its about to get a lot more interesting around here.
    You haven't explained how that is "new mantra".

The day the Android HUB was launched in Nov of 2015, apart from email, all it did was aggregate/organise notifications. How is that different from today, or from any time during the past 3+ years?

The ONLY client it ever had was for email. That's it. Period. Full stop.
    03-04-19 08:33 PM
    You haven't explained how that is "new mantra".

The day the Android HUB was launched in Nov of 2015, apart from email, all it did was aggregate/organise notifications. How is that different from today, or from any time during the past 3+ years?

The ONLY client it ever had was for email. That's it. Period. Full stop.
    I'll tell you what - save your platitudes for the others, when the complaints start rolling in. I've already heard enough.
    03-05-19 06:41 AM
    I'll tell you what - save your platitudes for the others, when the complaints start rolling in. I've already heard enough.
    Conite just trying to say... not anything BlackBerry can do about changes that Google makes. While trying to stay positive.

If loosing SMS notification is the breaking point for you.... that is understandable. If you want to vent, fine. Just no need to get personal about it.

BlackBerry has to play buy the rules of the OS running on the phones.... for now Google leaves enough room that BlackBerry can offer a client that provides some usefulness (for some). Apple on the other hand, is not allowing the access to core functions that would make HUB useful..... so they didn't pursue it's development.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-05-19 07:48 AM
    Conite just trying to say... not anything BlackBerry can do about changes that Google makes. While trying to stay positive.

If loosing SMS notification is the breaking point for you.... that is understandable. If you want to vent, fine. Just no need to get personal about it.
    "Staying positive" is one way of putting it. When your app only collects email, sms, call logs, and notifications - losing 2/4 of those things either partially or in their entirety is a big deal. I'm sorry but there is no nice way of saying it.

The unified strategy between CB and BlackBerry from the beginning has been to blame Google. Apparently, making improvements to Android is a bad thing, at least when BlackBerry fails to keep up. It started with Bla1ze's Feb 22 CB news article, and the "blame Google" mantra was echoed almost immediately by Blackberry employees on this site. Since then conite has been trying to re-write history by telling us the HUB was never meant to be anything on Android other than a notification aggregator and and email app. That's a convenient narrative when its all you have left.

You can be sure Bla1ze will be referring back to his Feb22 news article in earnest when the complaints start rolling in.

I'm not getting personal with anyone. However, whenever you patronize customers you can expect to hear it. The truth is BlackBerry deserves some criticism and needs to pick up their game. If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. At the end of the day, if BlackBerry fails to address this adequately, its not my problem. If the app no longer suits my needs I'll just take my subscription support elsewhere, as will others, and perhaps even people using BlackBerry devices will have one less reason to buy one.
    03-05-19 09:23 AM
66 123