I was fed up with ads popping up for things I'd only spoken about, and went on a mission to stop it. I turned off microphone access for all the likely culprits (FB, games, etc), but the ads kept coming. Finally I used DTEK to mark the mic as highest sensitivity, and notify if any app touched my microphone. Lo and behold, it was Google Play Services, pinging my microphone every couple minutes. I disabled microphone access for that and haven't seen another spoken-only-ad since. Great!

But now I have a persistent notification from Google Pay complaining it won't work if I don't enable microphone access for Play Services. (it works perfectly fine fwiw, they just want to nag you into re-enabling voice data mining). Short of disabling/uninstalling Google Pay, has anyone found a way to disable or workaround an annoying persistent notification like this one?
    04-07-19 11:11 AM
    I was fed up with ads popping up for things I'd only spoken about, and went on a mission to stop it. I turned off microphone access for all the likely culprits (FB, games, etc), but the ads kept coming. Finally I used DTEK to mark the mic as highest sensitivity, and notify if any app touched my microphone. Lo and behold, it was Google Play Services, pinging my microphone every couple minutes. I disabled microphone access for that and haven't seen another spoken-only-ad since. Great!

But now I have a persistent notification from Google Pay complaining it won't work if I don't enable microphone access for Play Services. (it works perfectly fine fwiw, they just want to nag you into re-enabling voice data mining). Short of disabling/uninstalling Google Pay, has anyone found a way to disable or workaround an annoying persistent notification like this one?
    When a notification appears, just slide it slightly to one side and select the cog.
    04-07-19 11:16 AM
    I'll try that - hopefully it won't block all notifications from Google Pay. I really just don't care to see it pop up about the microphone.
    04-07-19 05:39 PM
    Thanks for this information. It useful
    10-08-19 12:02 PM