Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    NOTE: If you choose to use this tip, you're doing so at your own risk. Don't blame me if your phone spontaneously combusts or something else.

This is a tip that's well-known in the Android world, but I know some users here are pretty new to Android stuff, so maybe it will be helpful to some people.

Are you annoyed with all the ads on Android? In the browser, and in apps too?

Get Adblock on your Priv-adblock-plus-logo.png

On rooted devices, you can easily add an adblocker like AdAway, but even on non-rooted devices like the Priv there's a workaround.

1) Do a search in you phone browser for Adblock Plus Android. You'll be taken to their download page (it was removed from the Play Store). Download the APK.

2) You will have to enable 'installation from unknown sources' ---- Settings-Security-Install from unknown sources.

NOTE: This does make your phone a little less secure. Please make sure you know exactly what you're installing in the future.

3) Install the Adblock Plus APK. Then run it. It will open a window with a few options and will tell you that you'll have to manually set up proxy settings.

4) Click on the Wifi setup button they offer you, it will open Wifi preferences with your wifi network listed. Long press on it and then choose 'Modify Network'

5) Check 'Advanced Options' - and set:
    Proxy hostname = localhost
    Proxy port = 2020

Now Adblock Plus will run on your phone. It works on the whole phone (browser and apps).

LIMITATIONS: It does not block all ads - especially in apps. Some ads slip through. Some people complain of slowdowns when browsing. It seems to settle down after a few uses, but you may see some performance issues.

NOTE: There is a persistent notification that 'adblock plus is enabled'. You can turn this off by going to Settings-Apps-AdblockPlus and uncheck notifications.

EDIT: I forgot add that this works only over Wifi, as it pretty much works as a proxy filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Get Adblock on your Priv-2000px-adblock_plus_2014_logo.svg.jpg  
    Last edited by yohannrjm; 12-13-15 at 10:57 AM.
    12-13-15 10:30 AM
    If you use Firefox for Android instead of Chrome, you may run Adblock or uBlock Origin as a Firefox extension. Ghostery will also run as a Firefox for Android extension.
    citystars41 likes this.
    12-13-15 01:24 PM
    If you use Firefox for Android instead of Chrome, you may run Adblock or uBlock Origin as a Firefox extension. Ghostery will also run as a Firefox for Android extension.
    Yep, that's true. But for some reason, Firefox doesn't scroll smoothly using the touch-keyboard. It's a minor annoyance, I know, but it irritates me.
    12-13-15 02:03 PM
    whats the battery drain like on ABP?

I had AdBlocker installed on my Android and the battery drain was definitely noticeable.

Thanks
    12-13-15 08:32 PM
    I haven't noticed anything worse than what it was before. However, I haven't done a controlled test.
    12-13-15 08:49 PM
    Yep, that's true. But for some reason, Firefox doesn't scroll smoothly using the touch-keyboard. It's a minor annoyance, I know, but it irritates me.
    There's a fix coming for that (in Firefox itself.) You can try out the Firefox Beta app to get an early peek at the change.
    In general, most apps scroll by handling the equivalent of mouse scrollwheel events. These are a provided as a fallback when apps don't consume the original "touchpad" events generated by the touch keypad.
    Those apps which scroll at different speeds or in the opposite direction from the majority would typically do the same with an external mouse scrollwheel.
    Usually these differences are unintentional, and reflect the scarcity of external mouse users on Android so far, but some newer devices are more likely to be used with external mice (and keyboards.) The application developers are likely to be happy to address it if the issue is brought to their attention.

Enjoy!
    Mark from BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Blackberry PRIV.
    12-15-15 06:40 AM
    I use AdGuard and I've never had to adjust the Proxy settings below. Just installed it. And it works!

5) Check 'Advanced Options' - and set:
    Proxy hostname = localhost
    Proxy port = 2020
    12-23-15 02:14 PM
    I use AdGuard and I've never had to adjust the Proxy settings below. Just installed it. And it works!
    Does this setting block ads for youtube?
    12-27-15 08:23 PM