No. At least Android users will get a fighting chance once the ability to set app permissions is unlocked.
    What are you going to do? Disable file access permissions for ES File Explorer?
    04-15-16 08:38 PM
    I heard enough crap about ES, so moved to Amaze. Simple and works.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-16-16 01:24 AM
    Since someone cross-referenced to this thread....

I do have ES File Explorer on my Priv. I have used it. DTEK says "this app hasn't accessed any features" which is rather bland. Since I've used the app, what is DTEK actually "counting?"
    I've also been using ES file explorer on my priv and on my G3 previously to that. Is there any evidence that it is into data mining? ES FE actually has a feature that analyzes apps and reports on dangerous permissions...

Marshmallow will give more control, I had it on my G3. In addition, marshmallow doesn't prompt for permissions until the app tries to actually use each permission.

FF22 likes this.
    04-21-16 04:24 PM
    I've also been using ES file explorer on my priv and on my G3 previously to that. Is there any evidence that it is into data mining? ES FE actually has a feature that analyzes apps and reports on dangerous permissions...

Marshmallow will give more control, I had it on my G3. In addition, marshmallow doesn't prompt for permissions until the app tries to actually use each permission.
    I fail to see how management of permissions in Marshmallow will prevent ES being used by foreign governments to data mine. After all, you're giving it access to your files so that it can do it's job as a file manager.
    04-21-16 06:25 PM

I don't know if it ACTUALLY data mines.

It is too bad but China has such a questionable reputation that potentially innocent developers are being tarred with the same brush. I think a lot could be "fixed" if ADVERTISING weren't so much a part of FREE apps. They need the internet to feed the Ads and show any response. If not for these ads the app probably has no need for internet access.
    04-21-16 06:45 PM
    I fail to see how management of permissions in Marshmallow will prevent ES being used by foreign governments to data mine. After all, you're giving it access to your files so that it can do it's job as a file manager.
    BUT does a file manager need access to the internet???? Most probably don't unless you want Cloud access. In which case, obviously a tradeoff. Since I don't use the Cloud that much I would prefer if many of these apps did not ask or demand access to the internet. No Internet access, my files are not going anywhere. I can do my own cloud backup.
    04-21-16 06:47 PM
    BUT does a file manager need access to the internet???? Most probably don't unless you want Cloud access. In which case, obviously a tradeoff. Since I don't use the Cloud that much I would prefer if many of these apps did not ask or demand access to the internet. No Internet access, my files are not going anywhere. I can do my own cloud backup.
    Not just cloud services, but also remote FTP.
    04-21-16 07:21 PM
    I definitely agree with this point, in the case of a file manager it will need those permissions anyway for legitimate work. In other apps though it should, at least, give you a heads up when requested access is questionable with reference the the type of work an app is supposedly doing for you.
    04-25-16 11:45 AM
    Ugg. That is the best file manager I have found. Brutal.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for BlackBerry Priv
    05-03-16 09:03 AM
    Ugg. That is the best file manager I have found. Brutal.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for BlackBerry Priv
    Try Solid Explorer. Has all the same functions but much cleaner interface.

05-03-16 09:34 AM
    Good read. Thank you.

05-05-16 12:27 PM
36 12