02-24-16 09:49 AM
    I wonder if the Priv have protection against this?
    02-24-16 09:54 AM
    No. At least Android users will get a fighting chance once the ability to set app permissions is unlocked.
    02-24-16 10:50 AM
    Dtek should notify you that it's accessing something no? Then you delete the app and get an app by someone who isn't scamming you?
    02-24-16 10:56 AM
    Cool
    02-24-16 11:02 AM
    Good question about DTEK but I definitely won't be using ES File Explorer when I get a PRIV.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 11:29 AM
    Since when Priv get protection?

Pasaporte Pilipinas� | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    02-24-16 11:48 AM
    Since when Priv get protection?

Pasaporte Pilipinas� | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Is the Priv not their latest secure device? I got mine about 10 days ago. I've never used an Android smartphone that is so clean. Just the playstore apps with their annoying ads.
    02-24-16 11:52 AM
    Dtek still shows green. Perhaps one should research what BlackBerry means when the say something like "very or most secure devices"
    China spying via android apps, ES file explorer-uploadfromtaptalk1456336639739.jpg
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    02-24-16 11:57 AM
    Dtek still shows green. Perhaps one should research what BlackBerry means when the say something like "very or most secure devices"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1456336639739.jpg 
Views:	2306 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	392380
    DTEK is more of a gimmick than a security tool.

This also a reason that BlackBerry security is a joke on Android. They should have made a built in file manager. Any 3rd party file manager is suspect.
    02-24-16 12:11 PM
    DTEK is more of a gimmick than a security tool.

This also a reason that BlackBerry security is a joke on Android. They should have made a built in file manager. Any 3rd party file manager is suspect.
    And you base that on what?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-24-16 01:44 PM
    At least BlackBerry is not part of the NSA Prism program as per Edward Snowden leaks.
    Graheem likes this.
    02-24-16 02:00 PM
    And you base that on what?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DTEK only alerts you what apps do, but doesn't block them from doing it. It also doesn't tell you what is being transmitted, only that it may access something. If it was a real security tool, it would actually prevent problems.

example:

You start an app. The app is a social media app that needs access to your contacts. It tells you that and then what? Don't use the social media app that legitimately needs access to contacts? Now it access the contacts and sends them somewhere? Does it tell you that is accessing all your contacts? No.

It is just a report app that doesn't actually do anything else.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-24-16 03:49 PM
    DTEK only alerts you what apps do, but doesn't block them from doing it. It also doesn't tell you what is being transmitted, only that it may access something. If it was a real security tool, it would actually prevent problems.

example:

You start an app. The app is a social media app that needs access to your contacts. It tells you that and then what? Don't use the social media app that legitimately needs access to contacts? Now it access the contacts and sends them somewhere? Does it tell you that is accessing all your contacts? No.

It is just a report app that doesn't actually do anything else.
    That's right yet.

After using my Internet banking app, Dtek showed me that the app did read all my contacts and sms. I contacted the bank to tell them that it is not acceptable that the read my personal info and asked if they then call all collected contacts and offer them insurance packages etc.

The first thing they said were that I should read the terms and conditions before installing their app.

Someone else explained that the banking app are capable of making VoIP calls and for this reason it reads my contacts.

Unfortunately their are no lite version that just the banking facility.

I were that on Android Marshmallow one is able to select which permissions you want to grant an app. Is that right?
    02-25-16 02:50 AM
    That's right yet.

After using my Internet banking app, Dtek showed me that the app did read all my contacts and sms. I contacted the bank to tell them that it is not acceptable that the read my personal info and asked if they then call all collected contacts and offer them insurance packages etc.

The first thing they said were that I should read the terms and conditions before installing their app.

Someone else explained that the banking app are capable of making VoIP calls and for this reason it reads my contacts.

Unfortunately their are no lite version that just the banking facility.

I were that on Android Marshmallow one is able to select which permissions you want to grant an app. Is that right?
    Do you have a screenshot of that message?

It would just say that it has access to your contacts, but wouldn't report that the app read and transmitted all your contacts.
    02-25-16 07:56 AM
    Do you have a screenshot of that message?

It would just say that it has access to your contacts, but wouldn't report that the app read and transmitted all your contacts.
    Yes it just said the app read my contacts and sms. Nothing about transmit, but who knows?
    02-25-16 08:24 AM
    This is why we need BlackBerry 10!

Posted via CB10
    BB_PP and AllanQuatermain like this.
    02-25-16 09:04 AM
    Android is heaven for Spyware and agencies

Posted via Priv...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-25-16 09:23 AM

Yes, but, and that's a big but, they can still simply close or minimise if a permission is not granted

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 09:36 AM
    Yes, but, and that's a big but, they can still simply close or minimise if a permission is not granted

Posted via CB10
    Ok will have to wait for the Priv Android 6.0 M to check it out
    02-25-16 09:38 AM
    Ok will have to wait for the Priv Android 6.0 M to check it out
    I'll pop some screenshots from my Nexus on here when I get home

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 11:07 AM
    Just had some interesting reading on BlackBerry Privacy and Security -> http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...inkId=21642754
    02-25-16 11:23 AM
    “'We don’t collect more [data] than most people,' Mr. Kuo said."

Sigh.
    02-26-16 09:08 AM
    This is why we need BlackBerry 10!

Posted via CB10
    "Without the Android runtime" is what your statement lacks. BB10 is no less impervious to Chinese apps mining data than anything else, because the sandbox copies your contacts and data. It can't delete it from the BB10 area, but it can manipulate the copy it makes.

It's all up to the user to read and research app developers.

This thread is directly related as of post #26.
    Don_Henry likes this.
    02-26-16 09:45 AM
    Since someone cross-referenced to this thread....

I do have ES File Explorer on my Priv. I have used it. DTEK says "this app hasn't accessed any features" which is rather bland. Since I've used the app, what is DTEK actually "counting?"
    04-15-16 08:11 PM
36 12