My CDMA KEYone has slowed down a bit but saw a huge decrease in responsiveness once I added a separate work profile regulated by my employer. Now, I cannot even have more than one app open at a time. And even too many notifications coming in at one time lock things up for a bit.

I always thought that perhaps it was due to the relative lack of RAM. But I know others have had great performance even with tons of apps running. Today it occurred to me that perhaps it is the BlackBerry Launcher that is the issue. I have not tested it by switching to a different one. I wasn't sure if I would lose my setup/layout/etc. I also didn't want to lose the functionality that comes with it (keyboard shortcuts for one).

So, what is your experience with other launchers?
    09-18-19 02:17 PM
    Some love the launcher, some don't but put up with it for the shortcuts, and others replace it.

Bottom line is what works best for you. It's pretty easy to swap them around. I'd give a couple a try and see what works best for you. (Nova and MS are ones I liked)
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    09-18-19 02:21 PM
    Personally, I don't think the BlackBerry Launcher is responsible for your performance issue(s).

I have used Nova and Microsoft Launchers on BlackBerry devices and could not detect a noticable difference in device performance.

I have also used the BlackBerry Launcher on my OnePlus with no discernable performance hit.

Although others may prefer another launcher over BlackBerry's, I think it has more to do with customization and form than with device performance.
    09-18-19 02:47 PM
    I
    Personally, I don't think the BlackBerry Launcher is responsible for your performance issue(s).

I have used Nova and Microsoft Launchers on BlackBerry devices and could not detect a noticable difference in device performance.

I have also used the BlackBerry Launcher on my OnePlus with no discernable performance hit.

Although others may prefer another launcher over BlackBerry's, I think it has more to do with customization and form than with device performance.
    So it's likely the work profile? Then the RAM is inadequate.
    09-18-19 10:24 PM
    I So it's likely the work profile? Then the RAM is inadequate.
    There are those who will argue that the KEYone had/has adequate RAM. However, IMHO, the 3GB variant had/has significant performance issues and I only used mine for a relatively short time before I pulled the plug. I don't know what an extra GB in the 4GB variant would have done to increase performance. Maybe it was all that was needed??? What I do know is that the performance difference between my KEYone (with 3 GB RAM) and my KEY2 (with 6GB RAM) is like night and day for my usage profile.
    Last edited by SeeBeeEss; 09-19-19 at 07:44 AM.
    09-19-19 07:11 AM
    From Android settings, try disabling "Notification Access" for the launcher and see if that helps with performance?
    09-19-19 09:45 AM
    From Android settings, try disabling "Notification Access" for the launcher and see if that helps with performance?
    I prefer to get my notifications that I have setup.
    09-19-19 07:50 PM
    I prefer to get my notifications that I have setup.
    You'll still get notifications via Android and the Hub, you just won't see the Spark on the app icon.

It might be worth turning off temporarily if you only want to debug the ram issue.
    09-20-19 12:13 AM
    You'll still get notifications via Android and the Hub, you just won't see the Spark on the app icon.

It might be worth turning off temporarily if you only want to debug the ram issue.
    I know. I feel like we should be at a point where these issues shouldn't happen. Sometimes this phone drives me crazy.
    09-21-19 10:05 AM
    Are you using all suite apps or just some of it?
    If you need the same features of blackberry launcher with lighter I recommend you to try Action launcher.
    09-21-19 09:50 PM
    Are you using all suite apps or just some of it?
    If you need the same features of blackberry launcher with lighter I recommend you to try Action launcher.
    I am using all the regular stuff with it.

I will miss the keyboard shortcuts the most if I switch.
    09-23-19 07:41 PM
    If you have a BlackBerry key2 and even the Blackberry KeyOne, all the keyboard shortcuts are built in to the keyboard app, but it is the Key2 that has better access to them.
    Because Microsoft launcher or Nova is a different program just use the BlackBerry key or the 9dot key. Both the short and long keypress work from there, certainly on Microsoft launcher.

It is only when you switch to another keyboard that you will lose access to the shortcuts.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 09-28-19 at 03:29 PM.
    Byrese likes this.
    09-27-19 06:14 AM
    If you have a BlackBerry key2 and even the Blackberry keyone all the keyboard shortcuts are built in to the keyboard app but it is the key to that has better access to them.
    Because Microsoft launcher or Nova is a different program just use the BlackBerry key or the 9dot key. Both the short and long keypress work from there, certainly on Microsoft launcher.

It is only when you switch to another keyboard that you will lose access to the shortcuts.
    Good to know, thanks. I may try another launcher then.
    09-28-19 03:20 PM