OK, so I'm underwhelmed with the devices TCL is currently producing with Blackberry. I'm trying to sort out whether there are any Blackberry app shortcomings available for other devices, as well as any caveats when using those apps on those other devices. Basically, I'm trying to replicate as much of the Blackberry experience on another device. I'm considering the Samsung Note 8 as well as the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. From my understanding, there's issues over using apps like Contacts on the Note 8 but don't know if there are other issues.

The apps I need/want are Hub, BBM, Calendar, Contacts. One's I would be interested in using as well but aren't do or die are: Launcher, Productivity Tab, VKB.

TIA.
    12-03-17 09:14 AM
    Can't live without BlackBerry Hub on my Android (non-BB) device. App does job well.
    12-03-17 09:28 AM
    Can't live without BlackBerry Hub on my Android (non-BB) device. App does job well.
    Do you use the whole Hub Suite? Contacts, Calendar etc...
    12-03-17 05:36 PM
    on non BB devices you get Ads

deal breaker for me just get a K1
    12-03-17 06:10 PM
    on non BB devices you get Ads

deal breaker for me just get a K1
    Pay a fee to remove ads.
    Bfalcon1 and jdesignz like this.
    12-03-17 06:21 PM
    Personally, I don't care if I have to pay for it in order to get rid of the ads - worth the money to me if the price is right. What is the cost (is it a one time charge or annual fee)?

Has anyone heard of issues using any of these apps on other phones?
    12-04-17 09:55 AM
    i pay to use the apps. It's 99c per month, which sucks, but i deal.

the only two apps i can really recommend are the hub and email. everything else is just ok.

i also use the notes app.

you can give them a try for free with no ads for 30 days, to see if you like them.
    12-04-17 10:02 AM
    Personally, I don't care if I have to pay for it in order to get rid of the ads - worth the money to me if the price is right. What is the cost (is it a one time charge or annual fee)?

Has anyone heard of issues using any of these apps on other phones?
    I'm using the Hub+ suite on an S8+ (less the launcher). Works great.

Some have reported issues, but most appear to be where full permissions weren't granted, or notification issues. Notification issues such as duplications are where the previous email/PIM apps were still active. Or, not getting the red splat on the Hub. The splat will only appear if the launcher supports it. If you stock with the BlackBerry launcher, you're good.
    12-04-17 10:15 AM
    i pay to use the apps. It's 99c per month, which sucks, but i deal.

the only two apps i can really recommend are the hub and email. everything else is just ok.

i also use the notes app.

you can give them a try for free with no ads for 30 days, to see if you like them.
    Why does paying for the apps suck? Are you on BB device?
    12-04-17 10:21 AM
    I pay the subscription. It's less than the cost of one Starbuck's coffee per month.
    12-04-17 10:46 AM
    Are there only apps on the BB apps you download separately? I just got a Motion. no adds in Hub. But there are ads in BBM, which I find very annoying.
    12-06-17 07:56 AM
    the apps are not as integrated as they are on bb10. Hub is still a huge improvement over all the other comparable apps. keyboard works almost as well. password keeper is indistinguishable. I stopped using Calendar because it was deleting old appointments (and the notes I had attached to them...this may have been The Thing that gave me the impetus to move to Android). Contacts had been a problem with missing and duplicated contacts. I use the native Sammy app and it integrates with Hub just fine. I miss the Spark notification, but a friend gave me a Spark stress ball so I just look at that when I need a fix.
    12-07-17 06:28 AM
    Are there only apps on the BB apps you download separately? I just got a Motion. no adds in Hub. But there are ads in BBM, which I find very annoying.
    It's because BBM outside BB10 is handled by Emtek. It's being developed like a Whatsapp or similar type service now.
    12-07-17 06:32 AM
    I pay for the apps I use. I don't buy subscription based apps though. I hate the subscription model.
    12-07-17 08:00 AM
    I pay for the apps I use. I don't buy subscription based apps though. I hate the subscription model.
    My question was directed at complaining about paying for apps in general. I'm not for or against one time or subscription as each developer has their reasons either way. Depending on the situation, one may be a better choice than other.
    12-07-17 09:48 AM
    OK, so I'm underwhelmed with the devices TCL is currently producing with Blackberry. I'm trying to sort out whether there are any Blackberry app shortcomings available for other devices, as well as any caveats when using those apps on those other devices. Basically, I'm trying to replicate as much of the Blackberry experience on another device. I'm considering the Samsung Note 8 as well as the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. From my understanding, there's issues over using apps like Contacts on the Note 8 but don't know if there are other issues.

The apps I need/want are Hub, BBM, Calendar, Contacts. One's I would be interested in using as well but aren't do or die are: Launcher, Productivity Tab, VKB.

TIA.
    from my experience, having originally an S5, now an S8, a KEYone, a Moto E4, and a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 ... I would have to say if you're getting a Samsung, you're better off using Samsung's apps because they don't let you disable them (the option to disable is grayed out) Therefore, you will have 2 apps essentially doing the same thing and what i've found when using Google Assistant, that it defaults to Samsung's apps every time. For example, I want to use Google Clock, I ask Assistant to set an alarm or timer EVEN saying "GOOGLE CLOCK" and it still sets it up in the Samsung Clock app. VERY VERY Annoying!

I also don't like Samsung's Calendar in the S8 as the colors are a tiny bar next to the text now, instead of it being in the background of the whole text (like in the S5 or Google Calendar)

At least you can disable the google variants on Samsung's otherwise you will have 3 of the same type of apps on that device.

On slabs, i use Nova Launcher + Google Keyboard + BB Hub

Obviously on the KEYone i use all the blackberry apps. and because it is my daily driver, I very much like the BB Contacts app because of the built-in Businesses search and ability to direct all calls from a particular contact to voicemail.

On my Moto E4, it's really a great software experience! very similar to Stock Android like on the BB Androids, but with Moto gestures.. they also let you disable all of their apps if you decide to want to use different ones.

So it really depends on what phone you get, as to whether which apps you can use.
    tazcubed likes this.
    12-07-17 01:49 PM
    I switched to an Essential PH-1. Beautiful pure Android with no bloatware, regular security updates, great hardware with solid build quality, and seamless integration of BlackBerry apps (Hub+ subscription) with no oem bloat overlap. Very happy with this device and the pure Android software experience! And it looks great too (better than a Pixel).

Totally relate to OP on this one. I have tried the KEYone twice now (silver and black edition), sampled a Motion...but just can't get into TCL BlackBerry. Hopefully they will have more interesting devices next year...
    12-07-17 06:19 PM
    Agree with the ads part hahaha
    12-07-17 10:59 PM
    from my experience, having originally an S5, now an S8, a KEYone, a Moto E4, and a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 ... I would have to say if you're getting a Samsung, you're better off using Samsung's apps because they don't let you disable them (the option to disable is grayed out) Therefore, you will have 2 apps essentially doing the same thing and what i've found when using Google Assistant, that it defaults to Samsung's apps every time. For example, I want to use Google Clock, I ask Assistant to set an alarm or timer EVEN saying "GOOGLE CLOCK" and it still sets it up in the Samsung Clock app. VERY VERY Annoying!

I also don't like Samsung's Calendar in the S8 as the colors are a tiny bar next to the text now, instead of it being in the background of the whole text (like in the S5 or Google Calendar)

At least you can disable the google variants on Samsung's otherwise you will have 3 of the same type of apps on that device.

On slabs, i use Nova Launcher + Google Keyboard + BB Hub

Obviously on the KEYone i use all the blackberry apps. and because it is my daily driver, I very much like the BB Contacts app because of the built-in Businesses search and ability to direct all calls from a particular contact to voicemail.

On my Moto E4, it's really a great software experience! very similar to Stock Android like on the BB Androids, but with Moto gestures.. they also let you disable all of their apps if you decide to want to use different ones.

So it really depends on what phone you get, as to whether which apps you can use.
    Thanks for the insight. I had a feeling that Samsung didn't play well with others, which is why I have trepidation over getting one of their devices. I'm equally unsure of Samsung's attempt to bring in it's own "assistant" - whether in a future release they make their own the de facto (and only) default.
    12-08-17 06:47 AM
    Thanks for the insight. I had a feeling that Samsung didn't play well with others, which is why I have trepidation over getting one of their devices. I'm equally unsure of Samsung's attempt to bring in it's own "assistant" - whether in a future release they make their own the de facto (and only) default.
    their assistant "Bixby" is garbage when compared to Google Assistant.. just look at all the comparison videos on youtube. Plus it has a harder time understanding what you're saying. ie. I asked it "what is Dustin Poirier's MMA record?" and it understood it as "what was just employee is Emma may record"
    12-08-17 12:06 PM
    I've been using the hub suite (calendar, contacts, password keeper, hub email) for over a year and pay the $0.99 per month. well worth it.. in addition, I added the blackberry keyboard ( via cobalt) which is fantastic.. currently running it all on my moto g5 plus.. no complaints.. having said that, the blackberry launcher is terrible and sometimes I use that, but currently using the Microsoft launcher
    12-08-17 01:03 PM
    I'm using the Hub Suite - well, most of them, sticking with the Hub, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes and the keyboard - on an S8, and have no problems. I've set the default apps, and they work as expected.

The only thing that automatically opens the Samsung contacts app is the phone dialer, and that's because they are tied together.

Otherwise, everything else works fine. But then, I don't use any kind of assistant - Google or Bixby, so there's no issue there at all.
    12-08-17 01:41 PM