Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    So my wife got a new iPhone for Christmas, and I wanted to re-purpose her old one as a wifi only device. I was really hoping to put BBM on it, and use it to message between devices. But BBM is requiring a phone number. Is there a work around for this, or what other messaging apps do not need a phone number?

I know this is an Android specific forum, but I do plan on using whatever messaging app that works on my Motion as well.

So far I've only figured out Kik. Not Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram, Signal, or Hangouts (because I don't know if I want to make a spare gmail account just for this phone).
    Last edited by skilas; 01-20-19 at 05:29 PM.
    01-20-19 04:22 PM
    Hi @skilas

Threema

www.threema.ch

Can be used anonymously - no contact access, no emails, no phone numbers. End-End Encrypted.

Costs about 3$ and can be purchased from Google Play, Apple App Store, or Threema's site directly with credit card or Bitcoin
    anon(10218918) and postrgp like this.
    01-20-19 05:34 PM
    Thanks. I will take a look at that one.

Another I found that works is Skype. Not sure how great it is for messaging, but we'll see.
    01-21-19 09:35 AM
    Kontalk is also encrypted and open source. Worked well in my experience. It's also free!

https://f-droid.org/app/org.kontalk
    Scroll down to the direct .apk download.
    01-21-19 09:51 AM
    I used the Textnow app in the google play store to get a phone number. Then I used that phone number to get a BBID. I did this for my daughter's Kindle Fire so we could BBM each other.

It's worth noting, I did try other phone number/text apps before finding Textnow. Most of them require some type of phone number or at the very least has some other issues. Textnow seemed the least invasive and it worked fine for what I needed. Once I verified the info for BBM, I disabled the textnow app but left it installed. All I needed was an email address to get it all going.

Now using BBM, we can text, call, video call, send pictures, and everything else BBM does... all on her Kindle.

Good luck. Hope that info helps you.
    Pavelsan likes this.
    01-21-19 10:22 AM
    I used the Textnow app in the google play store to get a phone number. Then I used that phone number to get a BBID. I did this for my daughter's Kindle Fire so we could BBM each other.

It's worth noting, I did try other phone number/text apps before finding Textnow. Most of them require some type of phone number or at the very least has some other issues. Textnow seemed the least invasive and it worked fine for what I needed. Once I verified the info for BBM, I disabled the textnow app but left it installed. All I needed was an email address to get it all going.

Now using BBM, we can text, call, video call, send pictures, and everything else BBM does... all on her Kindle.

Good luck. Hope that info helps you.
    This is similar to iPad with only WiFi available, so it's a great solution that I've personally used with iPods and now iPads when kids were younger.
    01-21-19 11:13 AM
    ... Is there a work around for this, or what other messaging apps do not need a phone number..
    Is (facebook) messenger a too obvious choice or too unsafe for you?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 11:25 AM
    Is (facebook) messenger a too obvious choice or too unsafe for you?

Posted via CB10
    Think he's looking for a way to continue using BBM on Android/IOS for whatever reason....
    01-21-19 11:31 AM
    Well, he says he is "planning to use whatever app that works" on his Motion too. Or I totally misunderstood.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 11:41 AM
    Thanks. I will take a look at that one.

Another I found that works is Skype. Not sure how great it is for messaging, but we'll see.
    Plus one for Skype. It is old but still supported and feature rich. Works cross platform at the same time. I use the desk top version a lot with my international contacts for chat, voice, conferencing, and screen sharing. It's free and only requires an email. No ads if you buy some Skype credit.
    01-21-19 12:20 PM