So it looks like I may be getting a Huawei Mate 40 Pro soon, and as you may know, it comes without Google Play Services. I'm going to be very interested in seeing if I can run my much-loved Hub+ without GMS. I suspect the apps may run OK when I do a phone clone from my current Mate 20 Pro, but I'm not sure how it'll behave given that I pay for Hub+.

Some things I may need to investigate:
    • Getting GMS loaded - there are ways an means, apparently.
    • Using the Aurora Store to bypass the Google Play Store.
    • BlackBerry Manager - will that even work without GMS?
    • Alternatives - I don't see anything as functional as Hub+, but Blue Mail may work for mail/calendar. Nine doesn't seem to be available except on Play Store

I guess it's going to be a learning experience. Tips welcomed!
    03-29-21 05:02 AM
    Lot's of guides out there for Huawei owners to allow GPS....
    Claidheamhmor likes this.
    03-29-21 07:05 AM
    I would use the Huawei suite of apps if I were you they are pretty good especially if you have a Huawei account... You can find most apps using the Petal Search app and this even keeps a check on app revisions for you... I was able to use my Matepad Pro this way and it worked quite well... Make sure you clone your apps from your old Mate 20 Pro as not all are available on the Huawei app store...
    03-29-21 07:12 AM
    I would use the Huawei suite of apps if I were you they are pretty good especially if you have a Huawei account... You can find most apps using the Petal Search app and this even keeps a check on app revisions for you... I was able to use my Matepad Pro this way and it worked quite well... Make sure you clone your apps from your old Mate 20 Pro as not all are available on the Huawei app store...
    It's bad enough that the hardware is Chinese. But running a whole suite of Chinese apps and services is not something anyone should do.
    saxxman likes this.
    03-29-21 08:31 AM
    It's bad enough that the hardware is Chinese. But running a whole suite of Chinese apps and services is not something anyone should do.
    Well the OP is a bit stuck then... Having bought a Huawei phone with a forked version of Android 10, no amount of safe secure American apps are going to protect him...
    03-29-21 08:39 AM
    Well the OP is a bit stuck then... Having bought a Huawei phone with a forked version of Android 10, no amount of safe secure American apps are going to protect him...
    They'd be better off running the Google apps (it can be done) and adjusting the privacy settings according to taste. I always recommend running Netguard too.
    03-29-21 09:09 AM
    So it looks like I may be getting a Huawei Mate 40 Pro soon, and as you may know, it comes without Google Play Services. I'm going to be very interested in seeing if I can run my much-loved Hub+ without GMS. I suspect the apps may run OK when I do a phone clone from my current Mate 20 Pro, but I'm not sure how it'll behave given that I pay for Hub+.

Some things I may need to investigate:
    • Getting GMS loaded - there are ways an means, apparently.
    • Using the Aurora Store to bypass the Google Play Store.
    • BlackBerry Manager - will that even work without GMS?
    • Alternatives - I don't see anything as functional as Hub+, but Blue Mail may work for mail/calendar. Nine doesn't seem to be available except on Play Store

I guess it's going to be a learning experience. Tips welcomed!
    I would take this opportunity to move away from the abandoned BlackBerry Suite.
    03-29-21 09:09 AM
    Thanks, I'll do that.
    03-29-21 09:14 AM
    I would take this opportunity to move away from the abandoned BlackBerry Suite.
    To what, though? Features I would not like to lose from the BB suite are:
    Calendar Meeting Mode (I know it can be done though other apps like Silent, but it's a hassle).
    Being able to reply/forward with attachments from other emails without downloading first.
    In Contacts, being able to forward specific fields from a contact to someone else, not all of the info.
    Showing all notifications within the hub.
    03-29-21 09:20 AM
    Hey, here in Africa, we trust the American companies about as much as the Chinese ones...
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-29-21 09:21 AM
    Hey, here in Africa, we trust the American companies about as much as the Chinese ones...
    Ha ha ha! I don't blame you... Enjoy that awesome camera on the P40 Pro...
    03-29-21 09:23 AM
    Calendar Meeting Mode (I know it can be done though other apps like Silent, but it's a hassle).
    Being able to reply/forward with attachments from other emails without downloading first.
    In Contacts, being able to forward specific fields from a contact to someone else, not all of the info.
    Going from memory I think the hub worked on my Matepad Pro, if it's on your Mate 20 Pro is should be copied across when you clone your phone... My Matepad Pro was running the same software that you'll find on your new phone... Good luck...
    03-29-21 09:25 AM
    Try other email clients like Spark, Aqua, or Nine.

The fact is, the BlackBerry apps are dead in the water and are breaking down. You'll need to move soon enough regardless.

Since you're changing devices, this is probably as good a time as any.
    03-29-21 09:42 AM
    Totally disagree. Huawei suite of apps is very useful and intuitive. I've reverted back to Emui Huawei from Lineage recently. Missed all that functionality.
    03-29-21 11:18 AM
    Thanks, I'll do that.
    I agree with Grungni. Petal Search and the Huawei suite is the way to go imo.
    03-29-21 11:19 AM
    Totally disagree. Huawei suite of apps is very useful and intuitive. I've reverted back to Emui Huawei from Lineage recently. Missed all that functionality.
    Whether they are useful is not really the issue.

It is required by law that Chinese companies share all of their customer data with the government - 24/7, and without due process or exception.
    03-29-21 12:11 PM
    Whether they are useful is not really the issue.

It is required by law that Chinese companies share all of their customer data with the government - 24/7, and without due process or exception.
    K. This is all political. There is absolutely NO proof anywhere that Huawei is doing anything different than any other mobile manufacturer. If there is proof then I can accept that and will gladly change my mind. Til then it's all just governments fighting each other and media spin.
    03-29-21 12:38 PM
    K. This is all political. There is absolutely NO proof anywhere that Huawei is doing anything different than any other mobile manufacturer. If there is proof then I can accept that and will gladly change my mind. Til then it's all just governments fighting each other and media spin.
    But that is the actual law.

Given that, why are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt?

How would you ever assess the contents of the data packets being exchanged between Huawei and the Bureau?

A path to confidence can't exist as there is no independent judiciary, ombudsman, oversight, or privacy laws. Nor do you have any recourse in the extraordinarily unlikely circumstance of actually finding a smoking gun.
    gouger05 likes this.
    03-29-21 12:48 PM
    Given that, why are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt?
    Innocent until proven guilty??
    03-29-21 01:16 PM
    Innocent until proven guilty??
    Except we will never have to tools to make that assessment.

Until then, you have to put your faith in a company to defy its own policy and state law.
    03-29-21 01:30 PM
    Probably not. We agree on that.
    03-29-21 01:33 PM
    So how can you make assessments about China and not other nations? Are you clear on how your data is handled when China is not in the mix? (He typed, wondering if he wants to go down this road. )
    03-29-21 06:11 PM
    So how can you make assessments about China and not other nations? Are you clear on how your data is handled when China is not in the mix? (He typed, wondering if he wants to go down this road. )
    Careful ........we will be labeled communists pretty soon!
    03-29-21 06:20 PM
    Careful ........we will be labeled communists pretty soon!
    Lol. Let us stand in solidarity, Comrade Brookie.
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-29-21 06:21 PM
    I think most people can agree that China is a different animal from pretty much any other country out there.

Say what you want about western governments, but at least we have independent judiciaries, public security audits, privacy policies protected by legislation, and mass persuasion.

Our companies are not required, by law, to provide any and all customer data to the government without proper due process either.

The world also now seems ready to start standing up against China, so I believe a new cold war is about to start - some of which will be fought in the data space.
    gouger05 likes this.
    03-29-21 06:25 PM
58 123