Have any of you download Android apps using Snap (from Google Play) and managed to get push notifications to work?

Examples, Live sports apps like Scoremobile or Scoremobile FC, Instagram, other soccer apps with real time score push alerts? Etc.

Essentially, will downloading apps that utilize push notifications work ad they are intended to if downloaded via Snap? I know that the ones that have push notifications that I've downloaded from the Amazon App store aren't fully functional when it comes to their push alerts.

Thank you to all that reply.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    06-06-14 07:46 PM
    I could've sworn I had Espn alerts coming thru with their sideloaded Android app (signed in). I could be mistaken though.

Not much help I know I'm also peeved about thescore dropping support.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 09:11 PM
    Is a hit or miss. Mostly miss though I have a calendar app that pushes notifications but the score does not!

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 09:27 PM
    Nah, they won't work as intended.

There's a post detailing how to make android apps headless that works for *some* apps. That said it's not exactly a solution for the masses, and requires a blackberry development token. At best it's a method for power-user types to try to force it to work.
    06-06-14 09:37 PM
    Thanks for the responses

Safe to say you've all answered my question and the answer is what I more or less suspected. Kind of sucks that we get compatibility without functionality. Thanks again everyone.

06-06-14 10:28 PM
    No, for some apps that were ported to bbw, you get a text-only message in your hub. I've got some apps working by installing google service.
    06-06-14 10:40 PM
    No, for some apps that were ported to bbw, you get a text-only message in your hub. I've got some apps working by installing google service.
    Would you mind sharing some more info on Google service and how to install it?

06-06-14 10:50 PM
    There is no correlation between having google play services installed and notifications working. That would be strictly coincidental.

However, you can get some apps to work that previously didn't work by installing a patched version of Google play services and patching the app itself. There is a thread in this forum on it started by cobalt232. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
    06-06-14 11:57 PM
    I think that until BlackBerry allows Android apps to run headless, push notifications are not going to work.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 04:24 PM
    Push depends of the version /implementation the android app is using.
    Unfortunately Google has moved the push libraries into their play services library.
    Older android apps seems to work quite well (those who are still using the so called c2dm/cloud to device messaging - this was the old beta library Google used during their push beta phase) while newer android apps (those using the gcm/google cloud messaging) seem to fail.

Side note : apps using thir party stores like Amazon might implement some different push library (amazon has their own imho) so those might work too.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:00 PM
    Endevour is right... the method some apps like theScore use for push notifications doesn't work on bb10. I'm sure if they cared enough, they could find a way to make it work though.
    06-08-14 06:34 PM
    Additional info (for devs) can be found here. https://developer.blackberry.com/and...roid_apps.html
    BlackBerry seems to have their own library, which kinda derives from the 'old' c2dm lib from Google.
    So 'old' apps from Snap can work as fine as proper ported apps (from BBWorld).

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 07:40 AM
    Push depends of the version /implementation the android app is using.
    Unfortunately Google has moved the push libraries into their play services library.
    Older android apps seems to work quite well (those who are still using the so called c2dm/cloud to device messaging - this was the old beta library Google used during their push beta phase) while newer android apps (those using the gcm/google cloud messaging) seem to fail.

Side note : apps using thir party stores like Amazon might implement some different push library (amazon has their own imho) so those might work too.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds logical. However I wonder if they can push app update notifications then finding a way to push other notifications shouldn't be too hard imo. Thanks for the detailed reply.

endevour likes this.
    06-09-14 12:27 PM
    Sounds logical. However I wonder if they can push app update notifications then finding a way to push other notifications shouldn't be too hard imo. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Actually those are kinda two different things that often get mixed up.
    Notifications are not necessarily bound to some message pushed from some backend but can also be triggered from an local app or service. And that might be the case with app update notifications. (I am not sure ob this, just a wild guess).

I have to admit it would be really nice if the push stuff would work without any modifications. Especially for apps installed by Snap.
    But that's in BlackBerry's hands and might need some really big hacks to let the android runtime mirror and act like the Google play services are installed.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-14 05:52 PM
    Some work. I get push notifications from Dice with Buddies and Photobucket and Yahoo Mail.
    endevour likes this.
    06-10-14 08:42 PM