Opened up Signal the other day and got a warning the current version of the app expires in two days. Went to update and it's now no longer available for BB10 devices.

Any suggestions for a secure alternative? And no, Telegraph is not an option.

Signal Coming to an End on BB10 - Alternatives?-img_20180318_093213.png

Signal Coming to an End on BB10 - Alternatives?-img_20180318_093244.png
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 03-18-18 at 08:38 AM.
    03-18-18 08:20 AM
    This is the reality of BB10 and what we're up against. Whatsapp still works (Android version), as well as BBM, of course. I'm not sure about how 'secure' either one is anymore but I also don't really understand how 'secure' people need their messenger services to be either.
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    03-18-18 08:44 AM
    Try the APK directly from Signal:

https://signal.org/android/apk/

Works for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-18 09:22 AM
    Opened up Signal the other day and got a warning the current version of the app expires in two days. Went to update and it's now no longer available for BB10 devices.

Any suggestions for a secure alternative? And no, Telegraph is not an option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180318_093213.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	435055

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180318_093244.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	528.4 KB 
ID:	435056
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/open-w...ate-messenger/
    03-18-18 11:02 AM
    This is the reality of BB10 and what we're up against. Whatsapp still works (Android version), as well as BBM, of course. I'm not sure about how 'secure' either one is anymore but I also don't really understand how 'secure' people need their messenger services to be either.
    I'm in publishing and so a lot of discussions I have through a messenger service are proprietary and I need things to be as secure as possible. I tried to set up a BES12 account and run BBM Enterprise through there but ran into problems with the CSRs at BB's end. Signal is as secure and private as BBM Enterprise without the expense so I guess I lucked out
    03-19-18 07:33 AM
    Thanks all for the advise. Dragged, dropped and installed the APK from Signal's website, the expiry message has gone and messages seem to be going through, but as most of my clients are West Coast-ers, it'll be a few hours before I know for sure if it's working.

Would have replied sooner but this thread isn't showing in any of my the short cuts here or on CB10, had to hunt it down again.

*Edit*

Yep, works great
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 03-19-18 at 10:47 AM.
    03-19-18 07:36 AM
    Threema is a secure alternative, I got it from the Amazon Appstore and it works fine (with some documented limitations; see their website). The app is well supported.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-18 06:42 AM
    Just went through Yalp app and got the latest version and works great on my Passport.

Funny how when an app like this deprecates or terminates an old version, people go straight to "oh it's the OS". Seem to me it's an old version the developer no longer wishes to support. Most probably the version in question will not likely function any longer even on the most current versions android.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    03-20-18 07:28 AM
    Just went through Yalp app and got the latest version and works great on my Passport.

Funny how when an app like this deprecates or terminates an old version, people go straight to "oh it's the OS". Seem to me it's an old version the developer no longer wishes to support. Most probably the version in question will not likely function any longer even on the most current versions android.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    I thought OP was commenting that BB10 version was no longer supported.
    03-20-18 03:33 PM
    I installed the signal apk from its website. I can't turn off certain permissions I would like to turn off because they are greyed out.

Anyone able to customize their permissions with this? Maybe I shouldn't worry but I don't like excessive permissions.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-18 11:18 PM
    I installed the signal apk from its website. I can't turn off certain permissions I would like to turn off because they are greyed out.

Anyone able to customize their permissions with this? Maybe I shouldn't worry but I don't like excessive permissions.

Posted via CB10
    Do you go through App Ops?
    Signal Coming to an End on BB10 - Alternatives?-img_20180323_003007.jpg
    03-22-18 11:33 PM
    Conite, is "App Ops" a part of the signal app OP is trying to use or is it an app that I might be able to use to block some of the ridiculous deep-dive data mining that SO many android app writers love doing?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    06-13-18 03:54 AM
    Threema is a secure alternative, I got it from the Amazon Appstore and it works fine (with some documented limitations; see their website). The app is well supported.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I use it over some years, it works fine and it is the most secure messenger in my eyes.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 04:21 AM