I don't like how some of the Android apps asks for any and all permissions in order to function and there is no way of individually granting them. On Android, there are tools to overcome that, but as per my knowledge most require root. I tried some but not single one works on 10.3.1.
    I would like ask a question: was anyone here successful with permission manager inside Android player?

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 06:41 PM
    I don't like how some of the Android apps asks for any and all permissions in order to function and there is no way of individually granting them. On Android, there are tools to overcome that, but as per my knowledge most require root. I tried some but not single one works on 10.3.1.
    I would like ask a question: was anyone here successful with permission manager inside Android player?

Posted via CB10
    I have "Permission Manager 3.0". Works as designed, although you can't access every permission.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    1Criz likes this.
    01-06-15 06:50 PM
    Hi conite, what are some of the permissions that it can't access? Some Android apps would request permissions that I can't find under the app in Permission Manager, such as "Device identifying information".

Anyone happen to know how to deny Android apps access to Device Identifying Information?

What about preventing internet access altogether?
    01-11-15 05:17 AM
    I have "Permission Manager 3.0". Works as designed, although you can't access every permission.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Heres a stupid question, i just installed this on my Z30 do you checkbox the permissions you want disabled or are the checkboxs for permissions that are enabled?

See picture:Setting Android app permissions one by one-img_20150125_205300.png
    01-25-15 08:55 PM
    Plummer, how did you get to that screen??

I have Permissions Manager 3.0 installed and it looks nothing like what you posted. Are you sure you installed the exact app from the link Conite posted?
    01-26-15 03:53 AM
    I couldn't find the in Snap, how do I install it?

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:29 AM
    Plummer, how did you get to that screen??

I have Permissions Manager 3.0 installed and it looks nothing like what you posted. Are you sure you installed the exact app from the link Conite posted?
    Woops! I guess i should check links before i start asking people for help lol. No its not that one i have i am using this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

I remember now i couldn't find the apk for the Permission Manager 3.0
    01-26-15 08:50 AM
    Thanks Plummer, I got it. I will try it out later today. Are all of those permission boxes unchecked by default?? I wonder if it's removing all permissions automatically and asking you to enable the ones you want one-by-one. It seems confusing. Let me know if you've figured out how it works

If you're looking for Permission Manager 3.0:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...appopslauncher

That's the one I'm currently using, but the permissions seem to be very limited. I'd stick with the one you currently have if it's any good.
    01-27-15 01:30 AM
    Heres a stupid question, i just installed this on my Z30 do you checkbox the permissions you want disabled or are the checkboxs for permissions that are enabled?
    So I got that permission app installed, Advanced Permission Manager. It made me realize that the other app I've been using, Permission Manager 3.0, is only accessing a "hidden" feature of Android called AppOps which only shows you a partial list of permissions, and not what's in the actual APK's Manifest.

With Advanced Permission Manager, you can dig into the actual APK and selectively remove or keep the permissions you want. To answer your question, "checked" means allow the permission. My screen looks a bit different than yours, though. I'm not sure how you're accessing that "Component" screen. What I do is basically open up the APK editor and uncheck the permissions I don't want. Everything is checked by default on my screen.

You'd be amazed at what seemingly legit apps want to access. Why do they need to access "Your Accounts" or "Running Apps" or "View Wi-Fi State"?!

Anyway, it takes some trial and error because removing certain permissions can totally break the app and prevent it from running. It seems that removing "phone state", which accesses your phone number and UDID, prevents apps from running. A real shame!

Good luck playing around with that
    01-28-15 07:58 AM
    So I got that permission app installed, Advanced Permission Manager. It made me realize that the other app I've been using, Permission Manager 3.0, is only accessing a "hidden" feature of Android called AppOps which only shows you a partial list of permissions, and not what's in the actual APK's Manifest.

With Advanced Permission Manager, you can dig into the actual APK and selectively remove or keep the permissions you want. To answer your question, "checked" means allow the permission. My screen looks a bit different than yours, though. I'm not sure how you're accessing that "Component" screen. What I do is basically open up the APK editor and uncheck the permissions I don't want. Everything is checked by default on my screen.

You'd be amazed at what seemingly legit apps want to access. Why do they need to access "Your Accounts" or "Running Apps" or "View Wi-Fi State"?!

Anyway, it takes some trial and error because removing certain permissions can totally break the app and prevent it from running. It seems that removing "phone state", which accesses your phone number and UDID, prevents apps from running. A real shame!

Good luck playing around with that
    Thanks R3d13 that sheds some light on how to use the app. It seems like a decent permission manager, it just isn't very clear about what each function is, a help guide would have been nice.

And your right it is a shame, one of the reasons i use a blackberry is i feel like in this new world of privacy invasion and big data collection, I feel like just ever so slightly Blackberry from a privacy policy stand point is a little more responsible then say Apple or Google (especially Google). Although i do very much love Android apps. privacy invasion is at their core. Thats why if i am going to run android apps i prefer to use them in the Blackberry android runtime which is sandboxed. It really is a shame.

Thanks for your help!
    01-28-15 09:04 AM
    So0o0o, been playing around with this manager on a bunch of apps, and they behave differently. KIK, for example, won't start up if you disable "Phone State" permission, which accesses your phone number, UDID, and other phone features, while some other app worked fine with that disabled.

And strangely, when I disabled "Get Accounts" and "Running Applications", I stopped receiving sound notifications from some apps.

Anyone know if there is a way to know exactly why an app requires a certain permission? Maybe by digging through the APK's Manifest or something? I wonder if some developers just allow a bunch of permissions "just in case", and not really do anything with them.
    02-01-15 06:05 AM
    I've toyed around with APM and can edit, save and uninstall, but when I then have to install the 'fixed' apk I get an error message saying "must allow installation of non-market applications" and get kicked to BlackBerry Settings-> Security and Privacy. Nothing I do there seems to have any effect. Any ideas? I'm on Z10, running 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 03:03 PM
    I've toyed around with APM and can edit, save and uninstall, but when I then have to install the 'fixed' apk I get an error message saying "must allow installation of non-market applications" and get kicked to BlackBerry Settings-> Security and Privacy. Nothing I do there seems to have any effect. Any ideas? I'm on Z10, running 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    Try this

Settings -> App Manager -> Installing Apps

Then turn on " Allow Apps From Other Sources To Be Installed"
    Now thats on 10.3 but i believe it is the same for 10.2

Setting Android app permissions one by one-img_20150203_151007.png
    02-03-15 03:15 PM
    This one looks great and tells you what each permission does, in a way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....privacy&hl=en

But it doesnt seem to be able to change permissions

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 03:39 PM
    Try this

Settings -> App Manager -> Installing Apps

Then turn on " Allow Apps From Other Sources To Be Installed"
    Now thats on 10.3 but i believe it is the same for 10.2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150203_151007.png 
Views:	321 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	331572
    I forgot to mention, I already had that enabled. Maybe this only works on 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 06:01 PM
    Yeah must be the case, that is weird. i can't remember if i was doing this 10.2 or not... i just got a z10 running 10.2 as a back-up phone, i will try on that if i can
    02-13-15 11:43 AM
    I tried to install this via Snap and it downloaded but wouldn't finish installing. The link to the "Permissions Manager 3.0" worked though.
    06-12-15 03:41 PM
    I have blackberry z10. But some apps are not available in blackberry world.....so how may I get Others

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 06:52 AM