Have someone tried microG GmsCore?

It's an open source project that implements proprietary Google Play Services.

More on: forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-microg-gmscore-floss-play-services-t3217616
    10-06-15 10:00 AM

More on: forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-microg-gmscore-floss-play-services-t3217616
    I know Marvin and his work (been in contact with him) and I did some testing of the microG solution on Blackberry devices. Some basic stuff like authenticating and checking in the device does work, but there is still a lot of work to do. I'm curious to see how this project evolves.
    10-07-15 09:43 AM
    Most helping & genius Cobalt,
    Are the microG services stable/ reliable/ complete enuff at the moment to be installed on a bb10 device ?
    If not, any idea how the development is going, any plans to start a licensing model for the services on different OSes.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 06:16 AM
    Any new about microG? I suppose the project is still moving on. Isn't it?

It would be great if patching could be done againsts microG

Posted via CB10
    12-21-17 12:09 PM

I think the trouble would be rooting your device. In order to spoof GMS services with MicroG ones, you need to root.

AFAIK you can't root keyone or two. Is this right?
    05-30-19 08:40 AM
    I think the trouble would be rooting your device. In order to spoof GMS services with MicroG ones, you need to root.

Nope. Never heard of anyone rooting ANY BB product - it's one of the central pillars of BB's security claims.
    05-30-19 01:11 PM
    Nope. Never heard of anyone rooting ANY BB product - it's one of the central pillars of BB's security claims.
    The last guy that claimed he rooted something from BlackBerry was taken out by a contracted Aleutian hit squad on the way to Waterloo demonstration and then Chen denied it ever happened.
    05-30-19 01:15 PM
    The last guy that claimed he rooted something from BlackBerry was taken out by a contracted Aleutian hit squad on the way to Waterloo demonstration and then Chen denied it ever happened.
    I guess with Waterloo being in southern Ontario they would have had to hire a hitman. If it had been many of the other places they could have just let the cold deal with him ...
    05-30-19 01:44 PM

I think four years ago when this thread started.. there was hope of another option for BB10.

Most except for those in China have a full Google Play Store with the BBMo products, and it's not hard to get that added.

Spoofing the services so as to not have full Google interaction... is something some want for security/privacy... but then there are dangers in that too.

But no, can't root so this isn't an option.
    05-30-19 01:55 PM
    I guess with Waterloo being in southern Ontario they would have had to hire a hitman. If it had been many of the other places they could have just let the cold deal with him ...
    In June, all the bodies start thawing out..
    06-02-19 10:20 AM
    I think four years ago when this thread started.. there was hope of another option for BB10.

Most except for those in China have a full Google Play Store with the BBMo products, and it's not hard to get that added.

Spoofing the services so as to not have full Google interaction... is something some want for security/privacy... but then there are dangers in that too.

But no, can't root so this isn't an option.
    Ah, well that never would have worked. The issue was a) the android kernel version and b) the device reporting itself as a blackberry. Neither of which can be changed, because BB10 is so locked down.

Kind of a shame though. It's like win10m. They could have given the whole thing a final burst of life by upgrading the android kernel (or in win10m's case, upgrading the browser to the current desktop version of edge and completing the PWA support to support notifications). In either case, it would have allowed users to stay on the platform for quite awhile longer.

No commercial sense it though. In either case it would have involved spending money for no return apart from maybe brand loyalty.
    06-05-19 12:46 AM