Baby on the way and my wife gave me one task. Find a good wifi baby monitor that works with both our BB10 devices.

I thought this job would be easy.... wrong!

We purchased "the best" baby monitor according to reviews on the internet. Withings Baby Monitor Withings Store is supposed to be the best. WRONG! POS if you don't have an iPhone. It is supposed to work on Android OS but is useless (and even worse on our Android runtime). Read the Google Play reviews here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...withbaby&hl=en .

Next is the iBaby iBaby Monitor M3s | iBaby Labs . This one actually works on our BB10 devices but is a little sluggish and again the Google Play reviews aren't that good (better than Withings at least) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tor.main&hl=en .

I purchased a standard D-Link Network Camera (DCS-5010L) to test out as well. This one is amazing as a security surveillance camera (great options and features), but as a baby camera it might not be the best.

This post is both to give advice on the products I've tested and to learn from others if anyone has a device and app that work well for them. I have one month left till baby is out. Time is ticking...
    Last edited by brian4591; 08-19-14 at 08:26 PM.
    Dodopremier likes this.
    08-18-14 12:31 PM
    Probably the most versatile device you can get is a Dropcam. It has a microphone and automatically switches to infrared when the light goes down. It's going to have the most robust web/mobile interface because the company is now owned by Nest/Google.
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-18-14 12:40 PM
    OK here are my other options:
    D-Link Baby Camera with the android app (which has poor android Google Play reviews)
    Wifi Baby using the TinyCam Pro app (BlackBerry World app with good reviews)
    Dropcam using android app (decent reviews on Google Play)

Anybody used or tried these devices or apps?
    Last edited by brian4591; 08-19-14 at 08:26 PM.
    08-18-14 02:05 PM
    Dropcam using android app (decent reviews on Google Play)
    There are plenty of public Dropcam cameras on their site so you can use the android app to make sure that the UI, video (daytime, and nighttime) and audio work for you on your BB10 devices. I would especially see what the battery drain is since the app is probably not optimized for BB10.
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-18-14 02:11 PM
    Video chat with a playbook should work.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    08-18-14 02:56 PM
    It is best to just buy a baby Monitor. I tried IP cam with phone and gave up. Not as useful.
    We had an older version of this Uniden
    Amazon.com: Uniden Digital UBW2101 Wireless Video Baby Monitor, 3.5 inches: Baby

Works great. Ours was UDW10003 though.
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-18-14 03:04 PM
    I use Tinycam monitor Pro and it works well. It is updated frequently and allows you to use all sorts of different cameras. I think there is a free version to test it out. The main difference is that the free version only allows for 1 min of audio but video is always on. I updated to the Pro version after awhile so I could have the full audio, cost $3 I think.
    08-19-14 06:58 PM
    I use Tinycam monitor Pro and it works well. It is updated frequently and allows you to use all sorts of different cameras. I think there is a free version to test it out. The main difference is that the free version only allows for 1 min of audio but video is always on. I updated to the Pro version after awhile so I could have the full audio, cost $3 I think.
    Tinycam Monitor Pro I am thinking will be one of our best bets as it will work with all of our devices including the PlayBook!

What camera are you using for the baby monitoring? D-Link, Foscam, Wifi Baby, etc.?

Here are some of my options that I am looking at:
    D-Link DCS 825L $179.99US:
    ◾Sound/Motion Detection
    ◾Instant Push Alerts
    ◾Remote Access
    ◾Plays Lullabies
    ◾Temperature Alerts
    ◾Takes Snapshots/Videos Directly to Your Smartphone
    ◾HD 720p High Quality Video
    ◾microSD Card Slot
    ◾Crystal Clear Sound
    ◾Day & Night HD Video
    ◾4x Digital Zoom
    NO Pan/Tilt support.

Foscam FosBaby $149.99CAN:
    ◾ 1.0 Megapixel HD Wireless Baby Monitor
    ◾ H.264 video Compression
    ◾ Sound, Temperature and Motion Detection Via FTP and Email
    ◾ Supports Micro-SD Card Storage
    ◾ Supports Playing Nursery Rhyme
    ◾ Compatible with free Foscam iOS and Android APP
    ◾ Supports Soft Ap, Connect to Clients Directly via Wi-Fi
    ◾ Supports WPS one button push wireless connection
    ◾ Supports Plug and Play, Easy Access by QR
    NO PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) support. Only done manually

Wifi Baby (tinycam) $229.99US:
    ◾MultiTask (email, text, etc.) with audio in alerts working in the background
    ◾Landscape & Portrait Video on Android Phones / Tablets (OS 2.3 and above required)
    ◾Video and Audio on home WiFi Network and anywhere with a WiFi or data plan
    ◾Overrides your phone/tablet’s “auto-lock” setting, perfect for overnight monitoring
    ◾Video only option, toggle audio on/off
    ◾Add multiple cameras to the app, switch between cameras with swipe gesture
    ◾Option to add “Home” camera setting and “Away” camera setting
    ◾Easy User Interface, Excellent Customer Support via Facebook or Website
    NO PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) support.

I'll keep on researching. For the most part the cameras seems to be good with cool features BUT the apps for the devices are getting poor reviews (Google Play reviews).

I'll update soon...
    Last edited by brian4591; 08-19-14 at 08:55 PM.
    08-19-14 08:24 PM
    I use the Dlink 942

I think it's great, pretty easy setup

I also use the IP Cam Viewer app
    Works on z30 and z10 and I think on the PlayBook too

Good for viewing from anywhere in the world

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-19-14 09:06 PM
    We use "summerinfant" The apps work great on iPhone and Android but not the runtime yet.. I'm hoping 10.3 will fix this issue,. Regardless it worked fine on my Z10 before I upgraded to my Z30 which also works well and it also works well on my PlayBook by simply using the browser. I created a shortcut icon and whala you can't even tell it's not an app.

The equipment was easy to set-up.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-19-14 09:56 PM
    I have a foscam FI8910W, cost me $69 or $79 if I remember correctly.
    08-20-14 01:06 PM
    We are using the DLink Baby Camera with the app (my wife on iPhone and me on my Z10 with android app). It works well. Easy to install. Nothing else to say.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    08-20-14 01:52 PM
    We are using the DLink Baby Camera with the app (my wife on iPhone and me on my Z10 with android app). It works well. Easy to install. Nothing else to say.

Does the Android app work as well as the iPhone app? The Google Play reviews of the app aren't that great: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nk.mydlinkbaby

I am finding all the Google Play reviews of these baby monitoring apps are saying negative things for the most part. Are all these Android users just useless at setting up devices or do they actually suck?
    08-20-14 05:02 PM
    If you have an old apple device with camera lying around you can download the Manything.. app on the apple device, it is free and will turn the device into a motion detecting camera, it also does live stream with sound. You can then log in to Manything website and access the recordings and camera live feed from your bb10 browser. Not necessarily intended for baby monitor but it would do the job and it's all free if you have old apple device with camera

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 05:12 PM
    I have been using a Foscam cam with Tinycam free.
    You could also try with two BB10 running Munchkin monitor, it can be downloaded from Google play. It the only android app that was working with my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-20-14 06:42 PM
    Dlink baby camera app works fine on my Z10. The app is not awesome, especially for the menus, but once you have launch the video it works exactly as it should. While watching, you can chose between day or night mode, get notification about cries and movements (in-app), play a song to your baby or speak with him. I've also test the app while being at work in 3G and it works fine as well.

brian4591 likes this.
    08-20-14 11:30 PM
    I don't know, my wife and I bought a basic Sony monitor. Very simple. You just take the monitor around the house with you. No settings or any worry about the net or modem going down. Sometimes plain old technology let's you considerate on what's important. Your baby. All the best.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-20-14 11:45 PM
    Have you tried "au pair" + Z30 ?
    08-21-14 12:13 AM
    P.S. Congratulations!

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 likes this.
    08-21-14 10:27 AM
    I ordered the Foscam FosBaby today http://foscamcanada.com/web/index.ph...emart&Itemid=1 . Brand new product with not much for reviews out yet. I'm being risky with this one. At least Foscam has been around a long time and makes quality cameras.

I like the fact that Tinycam Pro and Foscam Viewer are two apps that will both work with the camera. So I have 2 options of apps on multiple devices to play with. App issue seemed to be the biggest issue with all the other products. Both these apps get fairly decent reviews. I am going to set up the BlackBerry Playbook on the charging stand as a constant baby monitor and use the apps for when we are out on our Z10's.

I'll update later once the camera has arrived and I have had a chance to test it out.
    08-21-14 10:41 PM
    Dlink baby camera app works fine on my Z10. The app is not awesome, especially for the menus, but once you have launch the video it works exactly as it should. While watching, you can chose between day or night mode, get notification about cries and movements (in-app), play a song to your baby or speak with him. I've also test the app while being at work in 3G and it works fine as well.

Which Dlink baby cam? The newer dcs-825l has tons of features but the android app doesn't do anything on BlackBerry android app player. No temp display, no video, no sound or talk. I think I can make it play a lullaby though.

Posted via CB, secret level Z30
    09-08-14 12:27 AM
    Just baby monitor apk we used. That's not video streaming, but it can call any number when baby cries.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 09:24 AM
    When it comes to a wireless fetal heart monitor and wired child safety monitors have both have their benefits and disadvantages. It is indeed useful to understand between these two kinds of unborn child monitor so that you can select the best one for your circumstance as well.
    11-07-14 03:43 AM
    Update: Dlink Baby camera android app doesn't work anymore on 10.3.1 leaks... Maybe it's linked to Flash removal.

Blackberry Z10 (STL 100-2) - running OS 10.3.1.1016
    11-29-14 09:21 AM
    Thank you for let us know about this baby monitor app. Actually I don't use any baby monitor app. But I like to use video baby monitor so far. I have twins they are over 5 months old. And for them I am using Motorolla (baby monitor for twins). It's really reliable and dependable. The more details are here Best Baby Monitor For Twins - 2016 Updated TOP 5 Review
    07-15-16 09:02 PM