On the topic of Lumia 1020, I thought Elop did really well with the presentation, as well as answering questions. hahaha.
    07-11-13 07:49 PM
    I think even with 38MP pictures being around 10MB in size (just a rough guess, I really have no idea) it'll take a whole lot of pics to fill up 8gb.
    Yeah, just this is something I struggle with on these devices. Have a few games, have some videos, have your music and take pictures ... and watch the space vanish. It's a gripe I have with my Z10 (which has limited application memory) and my Iphone (which has limited storage period).

Really surprised Nokia didn't include a media card option since this device is so geared towards media
    07-11-13 08:21 PM
    When I say overkill I mean to the average consumer, I'd love to own this phone personally. So I'll start saving now instead of going for the lumia 928, but on that note, the HTC One has a good camera as well at 4MP

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:07 PM
    The 1020 wont exactly replace a dslr, but it's a good substitute for taking good pics on the go(you can't always carry a dslr around). Nokia has always been great at making good camera phones ( i owned the n8, that baby can beat any current camera phone except for its bigger lumia brothers and the 808). There is the option for saving only the 5mp picture. this phone is marketed for photo enthusiasts, so it might not be to everyone's liking.

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    07-11-13 10:22 PM
    In associate news, each hi-def photo takes up 1.1 GB of non-expandable storage.

Posted via CB10
    No worries! We'll just send xsacha and Kris to the WP forum so they can develop a BlackBerry app to sideload to WP8 that'll shrink each photo down to 1.1 MB

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 10:43 PM
    Forget about the camera for a second and look at the other meaty bits they announced. Namely apps like Flipboard, Path, Hipstamatic Oggl Pro (with Instagram posting).

They scooped a bunch of apps that WP and BB folks want and that people won't switch platforms without.

Given this news and the app announcements from Build a few weeks ago, the race for BlackBerry relevance is getting tougher by the day.

Keeping my fingers crossed that some news like this is attached to the 10.2 and A10 release.
    07-11-13 10:55 PM
    The picture size would be HUGE... and someone that takes 41 mega pixel pics wouldn't want them to be compressed... was there expandable memory ?

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:11 PM
    Marketing bull **** why is it that $1000 cameras aren't even near 41 mp.....

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    anon(4275744) likes this.
    07-11-13 11:13 PM

Tell it! The CMOS would either have to be twice the size of those on regular digital cameras, or the mirrors on the CMOS would have to be twice as small, and twice as compact. Either way, the engineering alone would be enough to make the phone too expensive to sell; even if it were to be subsidized by carriers.
    07-12-13 12:05 AM
    HTC Evo 3d, released with lackluster specs exclusively on Sprint... It didn't sell well.

No lessons to be learned from sales figures of a gimmicky crappy 3d phone

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    My point exactly.
    07-12-13 12:07 AM
    I don't get it. Low end and mid end Nokia lumia phones have micro SD slot and this one no slot? Also. Why use same processor as last year's flagship? And removed wireless charging + same battery. They left the door wide open!!

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-12-13 12:30 AM
    Everything you need to know about the Nokia Lumia 1020 including hands-on, sample images and more!
    http://www.windowscentral.com/tag/lumia-1020

Argue and bicker about the camera all you want but it takes some sweet pics and Nokia/ Micorsoft unloaded a ton of apps that BlackBerry World still doesn't have and that's all in addition to the arse whooping they're already giving BlackBerry World. The Nokia Collection alone is impressive. Windows Phone 8 is still pretty terrible for me but there's no doubt about the fact that Nokia/Microsoft are going hard. BlackBerry still seriously needs a kick in the...apps!
    07-12-13 12:35 AM
    I don't get it. Low end and mid end Nokia lumia phones have micro SD slot and this one no slot? Also. Why use same processor as last year's flagship? And removed wireless charging + same battery. They left the door wide open!!

Windows Phone 8 still doesn't support anything higher than the S4. It's still a meaty processor though, especially when you combine it with the optimized OS.
    Wireless charging removed to keep weight down... There are optional covers you can get to enable wireless charging.

32gb is big enough for the lack of an expansion slot to not be a deal breaker

07-12-13 12:47 AM
    Windows Phone 8 still doesn't support anything higher than the S4. It's still a meaty processor though, especially when you combine it with the optimized OS.
    Wireless charging removed to keep weight down... There are optional covers you can get to enable wireless charging.

32gb is big enough for the lack of an expansion slot to not be a deal breaker

But they could have waited until Windows phone supports s800. So what's next for flagship 920? I'm sure they will release at fall next-gen 920.

Yes, I know. But why they are still putting micro SD card slots for low and mid end phones? Its either you put micro SD slots to all phones or nothing.

07-12-13 12:51 AM

You won't see them move to different processors until after their GDR2 update is out. The current iteration, while proven to support up to 64 cores, isn't designed to run quad-core. And the lack of Qi is for weight. As for storage, you get 32GB on board and 7GB of SkyDrive plus, there is a 64GB version suggested to be arriving.
    07-12-13 12:55 AM

Is this a standard policy to label things you are ignorant of as 'Marketing bull****' or is that just reserved for BlackBerry competitors that out-innovate your beloved company when it comes to hardware?

Tell it! The CMOS would either have to be twice the size of those on regular digital cameras, or the mirrors on the CMOS would have to be twice as small, and twice as compact.
    Erm...there's already an existing 41MP Nokia Phone that has been on sale for well over a year now. Full specs and reviews are out there. Read up!

Either way, the engineering alone would be enough to make the phone too expensive to sell; even if it were to be subsidized by carriers.
    ...Which is why it's $299 on contract?
    07-12-13 01:00 AM

Yes, I know. But why they are still putting micro SD card slots for low and mid end phones? Its either you put micro SD slots to all phones or nothing.

Because the low to mid end phones usually ship with 8GB built in memory...hence expansion is critical.

For the vast majority of people, 32GB is a sweet spot.
    07-12-13 01:01 AM
    Tell it! The CMOS would either have to be twice the size of those on regular digital cameras, or the mirrors on the CMOS would have to be twice as small, and twice as compact. Either way, the engineering alone would be enough to make the phone too expensive to sell; even if it were to be subsidized by carriers.
    The pixels are obviously smaller on the Lumia than on a DSLR but the sensor size is about the same.
    So you have about 3 times more pixels that are 1/3 of the size.

The result is better zooming, more possibilities with processing.
    DSLRs have changeable lens and photographers aren't too hesitant to change lenses so it's not as much of an issue for them. I have a sneaking suspicion that this tech will come to DSLRs soon though.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 01:04 AM
    You won't see them move to different processors until after their GDR2 update is out. The current iteration, while proven to support up to 64 cores, isn't designed to run quad-core. And the lack of Qi is for weight. As for storage, you get 32GB on board and 7GB of SkyDrive plus, there is a 64GB version suggested to be arriving.
    Wow, that sucks for them. I heard the next update will be this fall. Can't they work parallel with Microsoft?

I mean, they had an opportunity to trash the market. But now, I think the hype will go down especially when Sony release its Honami phone with s800 + microsd slot + slightly smaller sensor vs Nokia 1020 next month.

07-12-13 01:07 AM
    Wow, that sucks for them. I heard the next update will be this fall. Can't they work parallel with Microsoft?

I mean, they had an opportunity to trash the market. But now, I think the hype will go down especially when Sony release its Honami phone with s800 + microsd slot + slightly smaller sensor vs Nokia 1020 next month.

Honami = Yet another Android device among a sea of many. Chances are, the people interested in the Honami have already wrote Nokia along with Windows Phone off long ago and aren't even looking in that direction. Plus, you know.. MS doesn't even really care if WP8 sinks or swims.. they have the $$ to keep it afloat as long as they want.

And finally, Sony still has A LOT to prove to North American consumers in the smartphone space. They're massive contributors to the Android source but they've never had a 'hit' device and the amount of Sony fan boys is pretty small these days. Aside from the Xperia Z and now the Honami, NA consumers haven't be warm to Sony.
    07-12-13 01:11 AM
    I honestly think this phone is going to be really hard to market to others that diverge from the "awesome photography/insta-famous" sector. It seems like a more "photography purposed" phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    07-12-13 07:19 AM
    Honami = Yet another Android device among a sea of many. Chances are, the people interested in the Honami have already wrote Nokia along with Windows Phone off long ago and aren't even looking in that direction. Plus, you know.. MS doesn't even really care if WP8 sinks or swims.. they have the $$ to keep it afloat as long as they want.

And finally, Sony still has A LOT to prove to North American consumers in the smartphone space. They're massive contributors to the Android source but they've never had a 'hit' device and the amount of Sony fan boys is pretty small these days. Aside from the Xperia Z and now the Honami, NA consumers haven't be warm to Sony.
    True. I fit into that category (i owned an N8 but jumped to android as soon as nokia ditched symbian,still miss the awesome pics i could take with it). Personally i think Sony has a good chance with honami, i hope they dont screw it up.
    I honestly think this phone is going to be really hard to market to others that diverge from the "awesome photography/insta-famous" sector. It seems like a more "photography purposed" phone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    You would be surprised how big that sector is.

07-12-13 10:12 AM
    True. I fit into that category (i owned an N8 but jumped to android as soon as nokia ditched symbian,still miss the awesome pics i could take with it). Personally i think Sony has a good chance with honami, i hope they dont screw it up.

You would be surprised how big that sector is.

Of course I'm sure it's a big sector, but not as bit as people who buy phones for screen size, etc.

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10
    07-15-13 07:49 PM
48 12