I just came across this article today. So basically it is saying that Microsoft plans to reverse course on key aspects of the Windows 8 O/S, due to a lot of users having difficulty mastering it.

Microsoft prepares U-turn on Windows 8

I do hope that they manage to turn this situation around, as I do believe that for a vibrant smartphone market we need to have multiple platforms doing well instead of just the IOS/Android duopoly.

Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca-Cola’s New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago

“Key aspects” of how the software is used will be changed when Microsoft releases an updated version of the operating system this year, Tami Reller, head of marketing and finance for the Windows business, said in an interview with the Financial Times. Referring to difficulties many users have had with mastering the software, she added: “The learning curve is definitely real.”

Analysts warned that changing course would be a significant admission of failure for Steve Ballmer, chief executive, who called the October launch of Windows 8 a “bet-the-company” moment as Microsoft sought to respond to the success of Apple’s iPad.
    Ms Reller refused to reveal details of the changes Microsoft would make to Windows 8. However, the clamour from reviewers has become overwhelming for a return to a more familiar PC interface. Ms Reller said PC users had faced difficulties adapting to the new software.

Pressure has been building for Windows 8 PCs to launch the familiar desktop view when turned on – and to bring back the “start” button featured in the lower left corner of the screen in previous releases.
    05-07-13 11:32 AM
    It was way to radical the changes with windows 8. I have it on my PC since it came out and I still feel totally lost when using it.

I think BlackBerry struck the just middle with BlackBerry 10 cause it's radical enough to be considered innovative but it still keeps the familiar interface.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:40 AM
    One click on desktop icon and you back to old view, what's so hard?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:47 AM
    It's not just that, hitting the desktop button.

The whole experience is like a dual boot of Windows and Windows Phone. The Home Page is a completely different experience than the desktop, and obviously optimized for touchscreen. Would it be so hard to have an X to close apps?

I figured out how to Search, but it's not intuitive for most Windows users.
    Likewise for access to Control Panel an other settings... Like Restart and other power options.
    05-07-13 12:01 PM
    I upgraded to Windows 8 first week I became available and a month later I revert back to Windows 7.
    05-07-13 12:45 PM