http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...latform-141260

Yeah, its a Windows blog, but they mentioned it also today on Tech News Today. Windows Phone movin on up!
    11-14-11 08:40 PM
    Article is totally pointless and has exactly nothing to do with BlackBerry news or rumor.
    11-14-11 08:46 PM
    Yes it is moving up.
    11-14-11 08:46 PM
    Article is totally pointless and has exactly nothing to do with BlackBerry news or rumor.
    Did you read it? It mentions Blackberry clearly, it has everything to do with Blackberry news and rumor. Its saying developer interest in Windows Phone has surpassed developer interest in Blackberry.
    11-14-11 08:48 PM
    Ask a VZW user who wants a WP Mango phone how they feel about WP place in the market.
    11-14-11 08:49 PM
    Did you read it? It mentions Blackberry clearly, it has everything to do with Blackberry news and rumor. Its saying developer interest in Windows Phone has surpassed developer interest in Blackberry.
    Tell us again why you're here?
    11-14-11 08:51 PM
    Ask a VZW user who wants a WP Mango phone how they feel about WP place in the market.
    Can you make that post a little less cryptic? I'm a WP noob and have not been on VZW. Thanks.
    11-14-11 08:52 PM
    Tell us again why you're here?
    My bad, I see there is a WP section. Sorry mods.
    11-14-11 08:53 PM
    LOL. Really. Funny that they are clearly number 3 when I have yet to see a single phone in use out in the wild. Analysts and the four WP7 users out there want them to be number 3 so bad, but that doesn't make it so.
    11-14-11 09:09 PM
    LOL. Really. Funny that they are clearly number 3 when I have yet to see a single phone in use out in the wild. Analysts and the four WP7 users out there want them to be number 3 so bad, but that doesn't make it so.
    Yeah I've never seen one either. They seem to get good ink though.
    11-14-11 09:13 PM
    I think WinMo is a very pretty and interesting OS; unfortunately, it might have developer attention, but last percentage of market share reports I saw, they were still struggling (at least 4x less than BlackBerry Devices). So, yes, you might be interested in developing for it, but economically it doesn't make sense.

Edit:

Comscore Press Release for Q3 stats

So fair warning: take each "market share" report with skepticism. Market share can be influenced by a variety of factors, including socio-economic status of demographic, locations of sampled individuals, size of sample, etc.

That being said:

Google had 44.8% with a 4.6% increase from the previous quarter
    Apple had 27.4% with a 0.8% increase
    RIM had 18.9% with a 4.6% decrease
    WinMo had 5.6% with a 0.2% decrease
    Symbian had 1.8% with a 0.2% decrease.

In short, Google's share makes sense due to multiple manufacturers producing devices running Android; the increase no doubt coming from its phones that span a variety of price points that are brand new.

Apple's share and increase makes sense as well with the iPhone 4 and 3GS still selling well in Q3 despite the 4S/5 rumors circulating. Obviously this data through September doesn't account for the new Android, WinMo, BlackBerry, or Apple devices, so next quarter (through holiday season) should be interesting. Finally, Apple's dominance in the market with (at the time) two older phones being sold does provide some interesting context.

RIM's decrease unfortunately makes sense due to some OS7 devices coming out to some carriers by this point and the general media/consumer mindset of RIM's current position. That being said, however, they still hold a decent chunk of market share.

Symbian is small probably due to the samples of users coming from the US: Nokia never really marketed smartphones here and still don't.

Finally WinMo bringing back to my original point: they have a small market share that hasn't really caught on (yet). Great device, but as a developer, I'd spend most of my time doing Android and iOS products first. If I was doing a third OS, it would be BlackBerry. Not only is it basic market share %s that you are capturing, but if you assume the same number of people buying your product on both devices, it becomes a no-brainer when you realize that on average BlackBerry users are willing to pay more per app than their counterparts.

Again note the assumption that coverage rate of app through the consumer base is the same for both operating systems; this doesn't have to be true (a business-oriented app could be better selling on the BB due to the familiar use of BBs in a business-setting while a fully featured touch-based only game might be not just easier to make for WinMo, but perhaps gain more sales due to non-fragmentation of screen types and resolutions across BlackBerry devices e.g. 9900 touch screen, Curve non-touch, etc.)
    Last edited by soccernamlak; 11-14-11 at 09:52 PM.
    11-14-11 09:39 PM
    Can you make that post a little less cryptic? I'm a WP noob and have not been on VZW. Thanks.
    They have only 1 device and it doesnt really live up to the 2nd Gen devices coming out with Mango. From what Ive heard they havent announced any new Mango phones either. Considering they are the #1 carrier in the US... Im not bashing WP, I just wouldnt say they are walking away with #3 spot st all, yet. (Fwiw, Im getting a WP device next week... lol )
    Last edited by Blacklac; 11-14-11 at 09:45 PM.
    11-14-11 09:41 PM
    They have only 1 device and it doesnt really live up to the 2nd Gen devices coming out with Mango. From what Ive heard they havent announced any new Mango phones either.
    So VZW subscribers are stuck with an old WP as their only option, got it.

Like another poster mentioned, I've yet to see one of these in the wild, but all I've read about them has been positive. I hate every iteration of Windows OS, so I'm intrigued to see what this phone is about. If you do a little WP forum voyuer-ing you'll see the customers seem pretty satisfied.
    11-14-11 09:46 PM
    So VZW subscribers are stuck with an old WP as their only option, got it.

Like another poster mentioned, I've yet to see one of these in the wild, but all I've read about them has been positive. I hate every iteration of Windows OS, so I'm intrigued to see what this phone is about. If you do a little WP forum voyuer-ing you'll see the customers seem pretty satisfied.
    Yup, Ive been moonlighting over @ wpcentral for about 2 weeks.
    11-14-11 09:51 PM
    The thread is FAR from being pointless.
    11-15-11 05:37 AM
    as a developer for blackberry, i wasnt asked how i feel, so all i can conclude, is this `survey` much like many others is only done over a portion of people, therefore it might not be an accurate representation.

edit: just want to add, gartners Q3 2011 results show micorsoft (yes thats winmo and wp7) have a marketshare of 1.5% down from 2.7% of Q3 2010. someone care to explain how `windows is #3` yet in reality its currently actually #6 (although #5 as we know symbian has been abandoned) so come on people, its got less marketshare than bada for crying out loud
    Last edited by BBThemes; 11-15-11 at 07:32 AM.
    11-15-11 06:52 AM
    as a developer for blackberry, i wasnt asked how i feel, so all i can conclude, is this `survey` much like many others is only done over a portion of people, therefore it might not be an accurate representation.

edit: just want to add, gartners Q3 2011 results show micorsoft (yes thats winmo and wp7) have a marketshare of 1.5% down from 2.7% of Q3 2010. someone care to explain how `windows is #3` yet in reality its currently actually #6 (although #5 as we know symbian has been abandoned) so come on people, its got less marketshare than bada for crying out loud
    They took a poll of a sample population of devs and asked which platform interested them.
    11-15-11 08:01 AM
    If you want to discuss marketshare you have to look at all the facts. While RIM has allowed their market share to erode by not announcing any new products for almost year, they have now completed replacing their entire product line. This new round of products would represent the very tail end of this surveys time period and is further affected by carrier take up response. For example, AT&T elected to offer the flagship 9900 only recently and so would miss this survey completely.

I'm of the view WP7 is a potential threat to RIM if they again decide to let stale products languish in carrier's inventory to go wonder off to "find themselves". We're hopefully well beyond that now. Microsoft certainly has the resources to go buy the market by either pricing aggressively or excluding certain technologies from their software environment. However, with exception of the Xbox, MS has a dismal track record for devices and they will need to really score a home run just to stay relevant in this fiercely competitive market. A tall order indeed, even for this tech giant.
    11-15-11 08:33 AM
    The thread is FAR from being pointless.
    Yup, you're right ... it's another excuse to jump on the death-of-RIM bandwagon. I get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 08:35 AM
    Lmao....4 WP7 users.....that's funny. But ummm if you say that "you have yet to see a single phone out in the wild"......then how do you know that there is only 4 WP7 users?

Oh let me guess, you was being sarcastic right? Lmao like I said.......that's funny.
    11-16-11 09:37 PM
    I hate every iteration of Windows OS, so I'm intrigued to see what this phone is about.
    I'm one of the people that had (and still not liking) a horrible experience with Vista, this alone would scare me away from a windows phone. That said, the updated WP 7.5 "Mango" OS looks promising (better integration with MS Office, Copy-Cut-Paste, ect). With RIM on the ropes, it would be nice to have another option available for a work-centric smartphone.

11-17-11 04:24 AM
    I'm one of the people that had (and still not liking) a horrible experience with Vista, this alone would scare me away from a windows phone. That said, the updated WP 7.5 "Mango" OS looks promising (better integration with MS Office, Copy-Cut-Paste, ect). With RIM on the ropes, it would be nice to have another option available for a work-centric smartphone.

Vista bricked one of my laptops completely.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 09:37 AM
    never had a problem with vista ever. But all my comps run Win7. Still not a single problem.
    11-22-11 10:27 PM
    never had a problem with vista ever. But all my comps run Win7. Still not a single problem.
    Actually I think it was 7 that bricked the laptop. It was an Emachines I got new for 350. I had a Dell vista that got really infected but was able to limp on.
    11-23-11 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD