Windows Phone is dead, Microsoft should just use Android

Not sure how to feel about this. I've never played around with a Windows phone, so I can't speak to the quality of them, but i'm sure not looking forward to this becoming a smartphone world where my only options are iOS or Andriod. BlackBerry has made it pretty clear that they're going Android, so my only hope is that they see it viable enough to produce at least one BB10 phone a year.
    Jrox74 and AllanQuatermain like this.
    05-25-16 03:08 PM
    Being that BB10 was never a viable product, I seriously doubt we will see another BB10 device released.

It's Android or it's nothing for BlackBerry..... well they could use Windows.
    05-25-16 03:14 PM
    Not officially dead, we'll have a final prognosis after the mythical Surface phone gets released. But its eerie how much this is like BB10 of 2 years ago.
    05-25-16 03:19 PM
    Because no apps, classic reason
    05-25-16 03:22 PM
    Windows phone is definitely in critical condition, if not dead. But I'm not sure that going to Android solves anything for Microsoft. What is the business model for them in making Android phones??
    05-25-16 03:54 PM
    Because no apps, classic reason
    I would have thought that since they standardized their OS across PCs and their phones, they would figured out how to bring a lot of Windows apps to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 04:49 PM
    I would have thought that since they standardized their OS across PCs and their phones, they would figured out how to bring a lot of Windows apps to the phone.
    But what apps? Most of the really popular phone apps don't exist as Windows apps on the desktop either.
    05-25-16 04:51 PM
    But what apps? Most of the really popular phone apps don't exist as Windows apps on the desktop either.
    Good point - never thought of that. So sad that whichever OS runs Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat the best, reigns supreme.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 05:14 PM
    Good point - never thought of that. So sad that whichever OS runs Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat the best, reigns supreme.
    Same thing happened on the desktop in the early days. Ultimately the OSes that ran Microsoft Office are the only ones who could compete. The others died off.
    05-25-16 05:18 PM
    Same thing happened on the desktop in the early days. Ultimately the OSes that ran Microsoft Office are the only ones who could compete. The others died off.
    MS Office "Extinguisher" (not Publisher!) at work here... ;-)

yeah, it's like there's a mechanism at work in these cases.

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-25-16 05:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just a little tidbit here, if we followed that thought to the end, desktop OSes will be wiped by dumbed down mobile OSes for all but devs and servers...

Not that this is really what I think or wanna say... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-25-16 05:27 PM
    AND I just bought a new Lumia 735 today and putting Windows 10 on it now...

I had WP before my Z10 and know it's app limitations. But the OS is actually wonderful. I like it a lot and better than Android/iOS. Windows 10 is awesome NOW. Some rough edges to early adaptors (and definitely didn't help it's persona as tech sites were pretty tough on an essentially NEW OS) but current stable .318 is much better.

The app limitation is better now than 2014 with my last WP, but it still is a hurting factor. No way around it that iOS/Droid have the huge momentum and user-base and rightfully get the app developer focus. I'm hoping universal windows apps gains ground or WM10 continues to improve and then start to get the attention of the masses as their desktop PC's get 10.

Still a bit early to call WM10 "dead" though imo as it is still early stages and the OS continues to improve. Anniversary update this summer will bring extensions to Edge and other improvements. But not having the hardware to get WM10 sold is an issue too. Not everyone has AT&T and wants a flagship 950. They need to get some NEW mid-range and/or flagship phones out WITH native WM10 and get Verizon/Tmobile onboard as well.

{scratching head}
    05-25-16 06:02 PM
    And yet Blackberry is still hanging in there....
    05-26-16 07:53 AM
    Windows Phone is dead, Microsoft should just use Android

Not sure how to feel about this. I've never played around with a Windows phone, so I can't speak to the quality of them, but i'm sure not looking forward to this becoming a smartphone world where my only options are iOS or Andriod. BlackBerry has made it pretty clear that they're going Android, so my only hope is that they see it viable enough to produce at least one BB10 phone a year.
    More speculation on the writers part. Microsoft will be releasing more windows phones. BlackBerry will not be releasing any more BB10 phones.
    sentimentGX4 and dolco like this.
    05-26-16 10:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    It takes time to get the apps migrated to a new standard. As a software developer, it took me 18 months to learn how to write good BB10 apps and continuously trying to learn new features.
    05-26-16 10:17 AM
    I bought an AT&T Lumia 640 LTE on clearance last night. $14.98 + tax. Can't beat the price. My intentions are to install a custom ROM on it and put the T-mobile OS variant so will the phone will be VoLTE band 12 capable. If I can control data usage on it like I can with my Z30, I might be a viable option as a daily driver. Heck it even fit's into the Z30's pouch. That will confuse the heck out of everyone who happens to see it.

05-26-16 10:21 AM
    I just purchased a windows 10 tablet and the first download I tried to get was the chrome browser but it states I can choose between droid or ios only. So I guess I am returning this tab

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-26-16 10:22 AM
    Seems I made the correct decision in getting an iphone over a 950xl.

I'm surprised the fall has been so rapid. It makes the decline of BB10 seem quite sedate.

Perhaps both WinPhone *and* BB10 will have a resurgence in 2017.
    05-26-16 11:17 AM
    I got a cheap Lumia 640 and liked it enough to get a 640xl for a little more. I put W10 on it and joined the "Windows insider" program to get beta builds, which are pushed out fairly often. They seem to be putting a lot of work into it, for a dead platform.

The app situation is poor but UWP apps are slowly showing up and that is clearly Microsoft's long game. That said, there are only a couple of apps I wish I had.

Sent from mTalk
    05-26-16 12:11 PM
    Microsoft and BlackBerry both made similar mistake in clinging to its crown jewels at the cost of ignoring everything else for too long. For Microsoft it's Windows desktop, and for BlackBerry it's BBOS. Fortunately for Microsoft, Windows desktop is still dominant today, unlike BBOS that has become another article of computing history.
    05-26-16 12:18 PM
    I got a cheap Lumia 640 and liked it enough to get a 640xl for a little more. I put W10 on it and joined the "Windows insider" program to get beta builds, which are pushed out fairly often.

That said, there are only a couple of apps I wish I had.

Have you tried to rebranding it to T-mobile in order to take advantage of band 12 and VoLTE?
    05-26-16 12:37 PM
    Have you tried to rebranding it to T-mobile in order to take advantage of band 12 and VoLTE?
    Not yet, but I intend to try.
    05-26-16 12:41 PM
    I just purchased a windows 10 tablet and the first download I tried to get was the chrome browser but it states I can choose between droid or ios only. So I guess I am returning this tab

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    I've got Chrome on my Tablet... installed just like it did on my desktop and laptop.

That's the thing you need to think "PC" and not Tablet or Smartphone....
    05-26-16 01:30 PM
    I am not entirely convinced Microsoft is out of smartphones quite yet. To me, Microsoft is positioning for another hard reset of their mobile ambitions, which, I consider the right choice.

Nokia hardware was simply a poor fit for Microsoft and it was a major mistake buying the division. Despite its fan following, there were systematic problems with the division as well as what I consider a lack of talent and overall poor engineering. There are reasons why Nokia failed and Symbian + Windows Phone are only part of the equation.

Microsoft's own Surface hardware division is much more promising than Nokia hardware and rather than integrating a part of another company it came from within Microsoft. It makes sense to start off with a clean slate using the Surface division and hope that it may reproduce its cult tablet success in smartphones.

I'm surprised the fall has been so rapid. It makes the decline of BB10 seem quite sedate.
    The fate of Windows Phone hinges completely on the leadership. Microsoft could have very well supported Windows Phone indefinitely; but, Nadella didn't believe in it.
    05-26-16 03:25 PM
    And yet Blackberry is still hanging in there....
    But fat lady Is singing .
    05-26-16 03:30 PM
54 123