Maybe this is why Samsung is not interested in license BB10, damn. What do you think?

Samsung unveils ATIV S, world's first Windows Phone 8 device

At IFA in Berlin, Samsung gets behind Microsoft's Windows Phone 8, with a product line that includes the operating system's first phone.

If you've been wondering what the first dual-core Windows Phone would look like, this is it. Today, the Korean electronics giant took the wraps off the Samsung ATIV S, the world's first smartphone running Windows Phone 8.
    The ATIV S (ATIV is "VITA" spelled backward) features a slim design, a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display, and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. There's also compatibility for HSPA+42.

In addition, the ATIV S packs in a rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with autofocus and an LED flash, and a 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera.
    Taking full advantage of new software capabilities announced for Windows Phone 8 in June, there's a microSD card and support for NFC (think file-sharing and, soon, payment).
    Samsung has also added a very large 2,300mAh battery that should promise longer life, and 1GB of RAM. It'll come in 16GB and 32GB storage versions, and will feature a host of Samsung apps, like the Music Hub and the Media Hub for the U.S. market.
    Though Samsung hasn't yet shared its release plans for the U.S., the HSPA+ support and lack of LTE connectivity points toward a T-Mobile release first.
    CNET's teams are on the ground in Berlin, so stay tuned for more details of the Samsung ATIV S Windows phone, including hands-on impressions.

Samsung unveils ATIV S, world's first Windows Phone 8 device | Mobile - CNET News
    08-29-12 12:38 PM
    Samsung steals march on Nokia with first Windows phone - Yahoo! News

didn't see this posted anywhere...interesting
    Last edited by Munchito1976; 08-29-12 at 10:04 PM.
    08-29-12 08:56 PM
    This is quite interesting. Wonder what other companies will also follow.
    08-29-12 10:14 PM
    Sorry to say it but I fail to see what's so interesting from a BlackBerry perspective. It hasn't exactly been a secret that people licensing Microsoft's WP8 were going to introduce some great handsets. Samsung arrived first and Nokia and HTC will follow. Nokia and Microsoft have a special relationship but I do not believe it will have any bearing on unveiling new products. The thing to watch is who launches their new devices first. I'm betting that Nokia's event will bring great hardware and release dates. Correct me if I'm wrong but Samsung didn't provide any.
    My major point here is what does this have to do with RIM? Why is this such big news in the world of Crackberry? I'm not trying to be a , I'm seriously wondering from your point of view how this specific news affects RIM since this isn't exactly unforeseen. Also they mentioned in the article that Samsung's new phone sports an 8MP camera and Nokia has to beat it with a 20MP or 40MP camera...........are you serious? Apparently people will be disappointed if Nokia doesn't wow them with a meaningless camera. Who the needs a 40MP camera???? NASA probably but that's it.
    I am far more excited about BlackBerry 10 since in my opinion it is the greatest platform in existence.

Anyway sorry about the rant. Also I hope Nokia makes a huge comeback. I'm kind of sick of Samsung and Apple. RIM is #1 though.
    ..Steve.. and morganplus8 like this.
    08-29-12 11:09 PM
    i feel bad for nokia
    08-29-12 11:52 PM
    I am baffled, finally a Samsung phone which obviously isn't constructed like an entry level device. Decent move.

As for the above comment regarding the "meaningless" camera:
    Some people don't care about meaningless keyboards or LED notifications. I actually really like Nokias Pureview efforts. Let's face it: The phone is something you basicly carry always with you, the better the camera is, the better the pictures are. I had quite a few moments where I wished my Bold 9900 would have a better camera.
    08-30-12 03:21 AM
    Not surprising.

Samsung will help WP8 gain more traction.
    08-30-12 05:24 AM
    Never thought they wouldn't. And why wouldn't they?
    08-30-12 05:32 AM
    Sorry to say it but I fail to see what's so interesting from a BlackBerry perspective. It hasn't exactly been a secret that people licensing Microsoft's WP8 were going to introduce some great handsets. Samsung arrived first and Nokia and HTC will follow. Nokia and Microsoft have a special relationship but I do not believe it will have any bearing on unveiling new products. The thing to watch is who launches their new devices first. I'm betting that Nokia's event will bring great hardware and release dates. Correct me if I'm wrong but Samsung didn't provide any.
    My major point here is what does this have to do with RIM? Why is this such big news in the world of Crackberry? I'm not trying to be a , I'm seriously wondering from your point of view how this specific news affects RIM since this isn't exactly unforeseen. Also they mentioned in the article that Samsung's new phone sports an 8MP camera and Nokia has to beat it with a 20MP or 40MP camera...........are you serious? Apparently people will be disappointed if Nokia doesn't wow them with a meaningless camera. Who the needs a 40MP camera???? NASA probably but that's it.
    I am far more excited about BlackBerry 10 since in my opinion it is the greatest platform in existence.

Anyway sorry about the rant. Also I hope Nokia makes a huge comeback. I'm kind of sick of Samsung and Apple. RIM is #1 though.
    For someone who didn't find it interesting, that's quite the essay. Anyway, personally I think it is very relevant to Blackberry and RIM, because Samsung jumping aboard adds a level of credibility to the Windows 8 platform from a consumer perspective that I don't think Nokia would have been able to do as a damaged brand. With carriers stating that they really want to see a strong 3rd brand outside of Android and Apple, I don't think this news is good for RIM.
    08-30-12 06:10 AM
    I think the obvious (i'm not trying to be captain obvious here) is that Samsung tried to market off a W8 phone with a phone that looks like a Samsung Galaxy Ace (similarity >90%)

If I were to take this as a basis, then I'll be VERY concerned about any upcoming news (IF ANY, emphasis IF) from Samsung doing a BlackBerry on their manufacturing pipeline. Because it definitely means that we're going to get their Android rejects and basically have them re-badged for BlackBerry.

What I'm saying is that if they did this to MS, if they're going to do RIM's BlackBerry, they'll most likely repeat the same pattern and we'll go facepalm.
    08-30-12 06:17 AM
    For someone who didn't find it interesting, that's quite the essay. Anyway, personally I think it is very relevant to Blackberry and RIM, because Samsung jumping aboard adds a level of credibility to the Windows 8 platform from a consumer perspective that I don't think Nokia would have been able to do as a damaged brand. With carriers stating that they really want to see a strong 3rd brand outside of Android and Apple, I don't think this news is good for RIM.
    OEMs And carriers want wp to be third becuase it has more support from people and OEMs and carriers. You can actually see carriers begging for a third option. It was either bb10 or wp8. They picked wp8 becuase it was more integrated with a pc and more apps and more earlier than bb10. I bet you they want to advertise this heavily. But there's till more room for a fourth player though
    08-30-12 06:27 AM
    can someone remove this post from the RIM news and and rumour forum since it has nothing to do with rim.
    08-30-12 06:29 AM
    I think the obvious (i'm not trying to be captain obvious here) is that Samsung tried to market off a W8 phone with a phone that looks like a Samsung Galaxy Ace (similarity >90%)

If I were to take this as a basis, then I'll be VERY concerned about any upcoming news (IF ANY, emphasis IF) from Samsung doing a BlackBerry on their manufacturing pipeline. Because it definitely means that we're going to get their Android rejects and basically have them re-badged for BlackBerry.

What I'm saying is that if they did this to MS, if they're going to do RIM's BlackBerry, they'll most likely repeat the same pattern and we'll go facepalm.
    No the samsung ativ s actually looks more of a galaxy note 1 with better hardware and material
    08-30-12 06:29 AM
    08-30-12 07:32 AM
    I am baffled, finally a Samsung phone which obviously isn't constructed like an entry level device. Decent move.

As for the above comment regarding the "meaningless" camera:
    Some people don't care about meaningless keyboards or LED notifications. I actually really like Nokias Pureview efforts. Let's face it: The phone is something you basicly carry always with you, the better the camera is, the better the pictures are. I had quite a few moments where I wished my Bold 9900 would have a better camera.
    I didn't mean that a decent camera is meaningless but a 40MP camera is. Mega pixels are more to do with the size of an image. Making a great camera doesn't mean you should strive for the highest mega pixel count. However it is great for marketing because the average consumer doesn't understand what a mega pixel is.

I agree that the 9900 needs a far better camera. I can't take a close up shot to save my life. Also the flash at night makes photos far to bright if you're to close to people. I never understood people's complaints until I used the camera on a regular basis and than I was frustrated.
    08-30-12 09:40 AM
    Samsung jumped aboard well over a year ago.........they had several WP7 devices.........they continue to show a level of support for the WP platform because they have had a long lasting relationship with Microsoft for years. If I recall, Samsung used to make really old phones running WP6 or whatever the OS was before WP7. RIM has the upper hand with carriers over Microsoft. RIM has 78 Million subscribers. Carriers do not want to see any subscribers defect to another carrier so they will do their best to cater to their existing customers and I am sure alot of those customers want BlackBerry 10. It is my opinion that RIM will be favored over Microsoft because of the strong relationships RIM has with carriers worldwide.
    Also to be honest I did not find the article interesting. The only new information that was in it was specs and names for new devices. Other than that it was a big yawn. RIM is the only player that I care about and I still do not see how this directly affects RIM other than these devices being launched earlier than BB10. I just don't find the information to be new.
    08-30-12 09:48 AM
    Definitely a pretty sexy device. I can't wait for it to be released so I can hold it and see how it feels *pause*.
    08-30-12 10:07 AM
    Looks like the Ativ is the Windows Phone to have. All the hardware goodness of a GS3 with a card slot and slim and appealing physique.
    12-24-12 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD