The main problem I see with Windows Phone is its UX. Yes, it's fresh, yes it's modern. But I think it's just too special to be mass compelling.

The same goes for the desktop OS. As soon as I laid hands on the updated HP Elitebook of my gf running Windows 8 I was happy that I didn't update from Windows 7 yet. It's just horrible, from an aesthetics standpoint as well as usability.

Posted via CB10
    I think the complete opposite. If you ask me, it's beautiful from aesthetics and usability. But hey, if it doesn't work for you, I'm not going to shove my opinion down your throat . I haven't owned a Windows Phone but because of how pleased I am with Windows 8, I would love to try one.
    07-29-13 09:41 PM
    I think that it's too early to tell what the sales of this device will be like. That said, I agree that unless you are heavily into the camera on a phone, the price will be a deterrent to you.

I checked out the Lumia 1020 on launch day and was impressed with the camera, and I'm not big on cameras/picture taking at all. The display that AT&T had was good, but not necessarily inviting to try. I look for these types of things but the average customer may have ignored the box that was there to show off low-light pictures.

I have a Lumia 521 now to experience Windows Phone 8, but I'm waiting for Windows Phone 8.x before I consider jumping in to purchase a high-end device.
    07-29-13 09:42 PM
    My Lord the phone just launched! Why must media feel the need to create negativity!

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    Gotta feed the hate machine. Sad, but we haven't always had a 24 hour news day in the past.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-29-13 09:47 PM
    Hey, if you're not #1, or #2, then what good are you? Heh.

I hope BlackBerry and Windows can hold on to their own in the mobile market to be viable competitors to Apple and Android. Not that I dislike those platforms (I have an iPhone 4S and an Asus TF101 tablet), I just like competition...

I haven't installed the 8.1 preview. I am waiting for the official release so I can soak it all in all at once . Right now my phone is the Z10, but my upgrade is August 6th. I was planning on waiting for the A10, but as that appears to be obsolete the very day it is launched, I think I might see what other high end Windows Phones there are at the time.

And I used to have a love/hate relationship with BlackBerry until BB10 haha.

But back to the thread topic and the sales numbers. TommesJay put it pretty well saying that anything that doesn't hit iPhone level sales is considered a flop. Sales aren't what I would use to see how well that WP8 and BB10 are doing. I would look at the growth rate. WP8 has a very high one. BB10...not so much. And also, the media loves to kick Nokia and BlackBerry when they're down which makes it harder for them to get back up.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-29-13 09:53 PM

That too. But again, the marketing for Windows Phone is much better than that of BlackBerry which is helping Microsoft out with the market share and why Windows Phone seems to be in a solid 3rd for right now while BlackBerry is lagging behind.
    And much like BlackBerry for some people, I could say... What marketing? I've seen ZERO outside of the ads I went specifically looking for. No bus ads, no posters, no TV spots, no web ads... Nada for me. Not for any Windows Phone device... ever.
    ibpluto likes this.
    07-29-13 09:53 PM
    I think the complete opposite. If you ask me, it's beautiful from aesthetics and usability. But hey, if it doesn't work for you, I'm not going to shove my opinion down your throat . I haven't owned a Windows Phone but because of how pleased I am with Windows 8, I would love to try one.
    Yeah and exactly that is the tough question: is the Windows Phone UX actually mass compelling or mass compatible? Or is it just too much? Obviously I personally don't like it at all, but on the other side, I can absolutely imagine thar there are people out there who are absolutely into it. But bottom line is that I have a tough time to believe that there are that many people between those two extremes. For me it seems to be like a Lamborghini Countach or a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:57 PM
    And much like BlackBerry for some people, I could say... What marketing? I've seen ZERO outside of the ads I went specifically looking for. No bus ads, no posters, no TV spots, no web ads... Nada for me. Not for any Windows Phone device... ever.
    For the most part, it is a regional thing. In all honestly, Bla1ze, I don't know where you are from (not sure if you are from Canada like Kevin too). It seems that Canada doesn't see many ads for Windows Phone and the USA doesn't see many ads for BlackBerry.
    07-29-13 10:01 PM
    For the most part, it is a regional thing. In all honestly, Bla1ze, I don't know where you are from (not sure if you are from Canada like Kevin too). It seems that Canada doesn't see many ads for Windows Phone and the USA doesn't see many ads for BlackBerry.
    Canada would be correct and yeah, I've chalked it up to regional as well.
    07-29-13 10:02 PM
    I'd like to see the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads revisited for the mobile market.. Only this time it would be four people...

Try picturing them.
    07-29-13 10:02 PM
    I'd like to see the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads revisited for the mobile market.. Only this time it would be four people...

Try picturing them.
    iPhone: the hipster
    BlackBerry: the businessman
    Android: the geek
    Windows Phone: the preppy young adult

Lol that's my representation
    07-29-13 10:04 PM
    Canada would be correct and yeah, I've chalked it up to regional as well.
    In a way it is smart but also kind of questionable. BlackBerry knows that they seem to have Canada locked up so they advertise there. But if they are already so popular, then why bother with all the advertising there? From what I know, since Canada is big into BlackBerry, they might want to shift marketing money around and put that towards the USA.
    07-29-13 10:07 PM
    iPhone: the hipster
    BlackBerry: the businessman
    Android: the geek
    Windows Phone: the preppy young adult

Lol that's my representation
    From an admittedly pro-BlackBerry POV:

iPhone: Young girl on the subway playing Bubble Pop (or whatever its called)
    Android: Young guy with a HUGE phone playing Mortal Combat (or something similar)
    WP8: NO idea.
    BlackBerry 10: Someone texting or messaging. And swiping like crazy..
    The Aficionado likes this.
    07-29-13 10:13 PM
    From an admittedly pro-BlackBerry POV:

iPhone: Young girl on the subway playing Bubble Pop (or whatever its called)
    Android: Young guy with a HUGE phone playing Mortal Combat (or something similar)
    WP8: NO idea.
    BlackBerry 10: Someone texting or messaging. And swiping like crazy..
    Oh well you went into more detail. Way to one up me

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:17 PM
    I don't see how WP8 is the problem.
    Same as blackberry, lack of apps. Otherwise both are good phones.
    07-29-13 10:19 PM
    Sadly, I am more excited by the 1020 (or whatever comes to Verizon), than I am about the A10.
    07-29-13 10:20 PM
    Sadly, I am more excited by the 1020 (or whatever comes to Verizon), than I am about the A10.
    Why are you more excited?

Just curious, not being confrontational, fyi...

Personally, I'm more excited about the UX than I am about 'specs' or 'apps'... So I'm just curious to know what makes you more excited about 'whatever comes to Verizon'... ??? Cheers.
    07-29-13 10:26 PM
    And no one will blame you. I am looking forward to high end Windows Phones. And about the apps: Nokia and Microsoft promise that all top tier apps will either be there or be in the works by the end of this year. For some odd reason...I am more inclined to trust them over BlackBerry haha

Microsoft has done a lot to work with app developers and has paid some off making most big name apps there already. So I don't necessarily doubt their claim

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:28 PM
    Why are you more excited?

Just curious, not being confrontational, fyi...

Personally, I'm more excited about the UX than I am about 'specs' or 'apps'... So I'm just curious to know what makes you more excited about 'whatever comes to Verizon'... ??? Cheers.
    I know this wasn't directed toward me but I feel the same way. Right now I have a Z10, so why would I waste my upgrade on a phone that isn't any better or different from what I already own?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 10:30 PM
    I know this wasn't directed toward me but I feel the same way. Right now I have a Z10, so why would I waste my upgrade on a phone that isn't any better or different from what I already own?

Posted via CB10
    Especially if you're a bit of a geek and can use the xsacha method to run almost every Android app known to man on your Z10... IF you're a geek and can do that, there really is no reason to switch unless you prefer Android or iOS for the UX...

Or Windows, because it's different. Whatever.
    07-29-13 10:36 PM
    Especially if you're a bit of a geek and can use the xsacha method to run almost every Android app known to man on your Z10... IF you're a geek and can do that, there really is no reason to switch unless you prefer Android or iOS for the UX...

Or Windows, because it's different. Whatever.
    Yeah...exactly. I do that on my Z10. Why upgrade to a phone that probably won't have an experience much better? What I plan to do (I'm sure this makes me sound cheap haha) is use both phones. Just swap the SIMs whenever I feel like it and use the non activated one on wifi. Cheap? Yes. But I won't have to pay for 2 lines. I would have gone all in with the A10 if it was actually something to write home about

EDIT: Adding on, I don't think the A10 really is much of an upgrade from the Z10 and doesn't offer much incentive to switch. Yeah, the screen size, but the pixel density will be significantly reduced to the point where you will he able to see pixels on the screen. That's about it...if you want a bigger screen size. But it won't/can't compete with the competition and isn't a real improvement over the Z10. It's a lose-lose situation.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ajst222; 07-29-13 at 11:03 PM.
    07-29-13 10:50 PM
    Yeah...exactly. I do that on my Z10. Why upgrade to a phone that probably won't have an experience much better? What I plan to do (I'm sure this makes me sound cheap haha) is use both phones. Just swap the SIMs whenever I feel like it and use the non activated one on wifi. Cheap? Yes. But I won't have to pay for 2 lines. I would have gone all in with the A10 if it was actually something to write home about

EDIT: Adding on, I don't think the A10 really is much of an upgrade from the Z10 and doesn't offer much incentive to switch. Yeah, the screen size, but the pixel density will be significantly reduced to the point where you will he able to see pixels on the screen. That's about it...if you want a bigger screen size. But it won't/can't compete with the competition and isn't a real improvement over the Z10. It's a lose-lose situation.

Posted via CB10
    The A10 hasn't been released, and the specs are rumour so far. That's a fact.

Personally, I'll be checking it out. 720 vs 1080 is meaningless as far as I'm concerned... Just like the Apple Retina display, it will come down to personal experience. If it looks good, I'm in. I'll take the larger screen size over my Z10.

Most of the users on this forum that argue specs are Android users who are used to this meaningless crap. I'm a former iPhone user and for better or worse we Apple users don't care about 'specs'... That's just the way it is.
    07-29-13 11:17 PM
    The A10 hasn't been released, and the specs are rumour so far. That's a fact.

Personally, I'll be checking it out. 720 vs 1080 is meaningless as far as I'm concerned... Just like the Apple Retina display, it will come down to personal experience. If it looks good, I'm in. I'll take the larger screen size over my Z10.

Most of the users on this forum that argue specs are Android users who are used to this meaningless crap. I'm a former iPhone user and for better or worse we Apple users don't care about 'specs'... That's just the way it is.
    Android users like to pull out their guns and say, "My gun is bigger and longer than yours!" but it's a pain in the a$$ to pull the trigger

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 11:49 PM
    The a10 specs are rumors / leaks. Now there are new rumors that blackberry is pumping up the a10 specs after getting reamed out over the leaked ones.

Just saying that if you like blackberry, i'd wait until you know for sure what the a10 will be rocking

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 02:01 AM
    Microsoft didn't price the Lumia 1020. *shrug* It's all on Nokia.

I'm not surprised by the lackluster sales. It's priced high and the specs are mediocre. It'll probably still have a cult following (ala 808) assuming Nokia doesn't release another Pureview device for a while.
    Specs are FAR from mediocre. GPU and CPU are mid-range (same as on the Z10/Q10) but screen is excellent and camera (which is still a 'spec') is the best ever in a smartphone.

Not too surprised at the high price. Massive R&D costs for the camera (seriously, a breakdown of what's in it is totally impressive) needs to be recouped somehow. Just surprised Nokia doesn't take the hit and price it at $199.

Some pretty decent ads out there for the 1020 from AT&T.

Not surprised BGR is first to jump out with the news
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-30-13 02:02 AM
    I don't see how it's making people buy it.
    Same as BB10 then which is by far worse than WP8
    07-30-13 04:01 AM
84 1234