I've casually been snooping around the Windows Phone devices for a while now. I even had a copycat of Mango's UI on my android for months and I liked it a lot. There is quite a bit I like about WP actually. I was especially impressed by the fluidity, although I've managed to match it by rooting my android. What I hadn't learned about WP yet was the existence of Zune, so this surprised me -

A coworker with a WP but no tech know how at all asked me to help her install the latest update to her phone from the carrier because although she had 7.5, there was no mobile hotspot on her phone still but there was another mini update she hadn't installed yet.

So I got her to set her phone up to get ready for the update. She pulls out her USB cable and starts to plug it into her laptop. I asked her what she was doing and she told me you have to connect the phone to a PC to get updates. I was floored. Seriously MS? You design a phone in this day and age that can't do OS updates OTA? It gets worse. After plugging it in, Zune sends the error of Device not recognized. She tells me it's a new laptop. I do some research and find out that if the PC isn't the one you originally used with your WP, you have to jump through hoops with some WP's to make the new PC and Zune on it talk to your phone. Once again I'm floored. This was starting to bring back bad memories of that P.O.S called Windows Media Player. At the end of all this we ran out of time, and she ended up doing the update on her original laptop that she still had. The final kick in the teeth was that there was still no mobile hotspot. I later learned that it has to be enabled by the carrier for WP's.

I sure hope they don't continue these kinds of practices with WP8
    08-10-12 12:30 PM
    LOL another company trying to copy apple but copying all the bad things about about Apple.
    08-10-12 12:37 PM
    I can confirm ota updates aren't possible.. My mom has one. I'll make sure to keep her on the same pc lol.
    08-10-12 01:30 PM
    You can load Zune on multiple PCs and update from anyone of them.
    Perhaps we will see OTA in WP10 oops, WP 8.
    08-10-12 01:37 PM
    You can load Zune on multiple PCs and update from anyone of them.
    Perhaps we will see OTA in WP10 oops, WP 8.
    you can, but there are a lot of problems with several WP models. I know this because microsoft's knowledge support webpages were loaded full of articles troubleshooting this problem. You wouldn't believe what some of the solutions were. I want you to imagine some person who knows nothing more about gadgets other than surfing email and facebook and web browsing be handed this solution by MS. lol:

Create a new certificate and restore files

1. Create a new certificate
    If your Zune software is open on your computer, close it, and then disconnect your phone from your computer.
    Open Certificate Manager. To do this, click Start, type certmgr.msc in the Start search bar, and then press your Enter key.
    In the pop-up window, click the Personal folder in the left column, and then the Certificates folder, in the right column.
    Click the heading that says Issued By to sort the column, and then look for one or more certificates that read "zune-tuner://windowsphone/...".
    Right-click each certificate file, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    On the File menu, located in the menu bar of the window, click Exit.
    Click Start and in the search box enter %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA, and then press your Enter key.
    Find the folder that begins in "S-1-5-21-".
    Right-click the folder and then click Rename. Rename the folder so that it ends in .bak. This means, you will likely be adding ".bak" to the end of the number.
    As soon as you're done, open your Zune software and connect your phone to your computer. This creates a new certificate and folder.
    If you go back to your .bak certificate folder, and you may see some remaining files there. If this is the case, copy and paste these files in order to restore them to their previous state. To do this, see the following step.

2. Restore third-party files (if you have them)

To restore files, you have to copy files from the .bak folder and paste them into the original folder.

Click Start and in the search box enter %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA, and then press your Enter key.
    Click the RSA folder.
    Find and open the folder that you renamed to end in .bak.
    Press Ctrl+A on your keyboard to select all the files, and then press Ctrl+C to copy them.
    Press the back button on your screen to return to the RSA folder.
    Locate and open the new folder that begins in "S-1-5-21-" and does not end in .bak.
    Press Ctrl+V to paste the files. When you see the warning "There is already a file with the same name in this location," click Don't Copy.
    Close the folder.
    08-10-12 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD