Reuters) - Microsoft Corp's new Surface tablet - its challenger to Apple's iPad - had a "modest" start to sales because of limited availability, Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer told French daily Le Parisien.

The world's largest software company put the Surface tablet center stage at its Windows 8 launch event last month in its fightback against Apple and Google in the exploding mobile computing market.

"We've had a modest start because Surface is only available on our online retail sites and a few Microsoft stores in the United States," Ballmer was quoted as saying.

The new device, which runs a limited version of Windows and Office with a thin, click-on keyboard cover, is being positioned by Microsoft as the ideal combination of PC and tablet that is good for work as well as entertainment.

Ballmer also said 4 million upgrades to Windows 8 were sold in the three days following the system's launch.
    11-12-12 06:08 PM
    I looked at windows 8 on the desktop, wow what a POS.... Win8 was design for tablets in mind not a desktop... I'm sticking with win7....
    11-12-12 06:30 PM
    I looked at windows 8 on the desktop, wow what a POS.... Win8 was design for tablets in mind not a desktop... I'm sticking with win7....
    No, no it is not a POS and *that* is why the Surface isn't doing well. Why shell out $500 when you can shell out $40 and have your current device act like a whole new machine? I've upgraded and I really enjoy the interface. It's essentially Windows 7 with an overlay of tiles you can customize.
    11-12-12 06:36 PM
    The Bloomberg tech reviewer flat out advised NOT to upgrade to w8 if you didn't have to!
    col_oddball likes this.
    11-12-12 06:42 PM
    11-12-12 06:46 PM
    My friend who installed windows 8 said it kept crashing on her so she had to reinstall windows 7.

Windows 7!!

Blackberry 10!
    11-12-12 06:47 PM
    The Bloomberg tech reviewer flat out advised NOT to upgrade to w8 if you didn't have to!
    I have windows 8 and I hate to say it but I love it. best windows to date. my laptop is so much faster. combination of desktop and metro is awesome.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    11-12-12 09:31 PM
    11-12-12 10:16 PM