Yeah the UI is very different...

In a refreshing way

It works logically, and there are a number of ways of doing the same thing. It's definitely a good first incarnation, and I hope one that will improve with every update.
    crystinonfire likes this.
    12-09-11 07:11 AM
    I guess I'll be waiting a year to year and a half before something new anyway. By then it should be interesting where bb OS10/QNX and Win 8 are. Might be a tough choice but I love the UI on my playbook.
    12-09-11 08:05 AM
    Same boat here. I was really interested in WinPhone this fall when I went to upgrade from my 9800, but the new phones weren't out and I went with a 9900. It has been OK but not great and WinPhone still looks awesome.

I'm thinking my next will be a Lumia 900 next summer/fall.

With just about every phone (except my 9900) having wireless hotspot and 2.0 on the way my Playbook should be perfectly useful without a BB phone to go along with it.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 12-11-11 at 02:48 PM.
    12-11-11 02:44 PM
    Windows phone syncs through your windows live account. I personally have my outlook also synced so it appears as if Outlook is synced. Anything I do on outlook in the calendar or email is pretty quickly reflected on my phone and vice versa. GPS has been really good for me. Big arrows, it talks to you if you want it to. The marketplace has everything I could want. I found that I don't even really use the facebook or twitter or linkedin apps anymore as I usually just look through the people hub. If I do want a few more features in either I'll use seesmic.

I play music on my phone all day and have 1 out of 4 emails pushed and the rest update hourly. I get through the day with about 20-30% of battery left. I have almost all my tiles backround update as well so I can't complain about the battery.
    How were you able to sync Outlook with your live account?
    12-12-11 01:57 PM
    I have to say, this is the most stable mobile device I've ever owned. I have never had to reboot the thing to fix a bug or make the OS "fresh". It just works and I like that. Now it is missing some features and isn't very customizable, so it's not a complete win.

I still love my Playbook and look forward to the growth of Blackberry's new platform. . I think BB 10 and WP Mango/W8 are 2 of the best Mobile OS's available.
    01-02-12 02:40 PM
    just switched from a curve 8330 to HTC ARRIVE with mango. its bright, its fast, it has great GPS. I like the bing search engine on here & the voice services much better than I expected....

however,

I cannot get it to accept my AOL account, therefor, if it isn't capable of doing that, I won't keep it.
    -it shows my "notifications" in regards to fb, but doesnt tell or show me when I get a message on there.
    so, 2 primary forms of messaging I rely on, don;t get sent to me.

I can't say that I am happy about that
    01-09-12 11:19 PM
    Only problem seems to be getting reliable notifications from Twitter/Facebook
    I just traded my 9700 for the HTC Radar. Have you tried the Rowi app for Twitter yet? the paid version lets you get popup notifications (aka: toasts) & live tile displays with alerts. I'm still trying to get something close to my socialscope experience, which will obviously be impossible to do, but Rowi is about as close as I've come after playing around with it for a couple of days.
    Also, if you have the "Me" tile pinned to your start-screen, you should be getting Facebook notifications on that live tile.....

oh, and my battery life has been next to amazing. totally blown away.
    Last edited by crystinonfire; 01-13-12 at 11:45 PM.
    01-13-12 11:30 PM
    go to email settings and change settings from pull email to push email
    and you would get a faster email delivery
    does that really change it to push? (vs. continually pulling) I read somewhere else -- I think on wpcentral -- that setting it to "as they arrive" drained the battery very quickly.
    01-13-12 11:38 PM
    I have not. I just tagged myself on my friends FB and didn't get a noise. it just showed up in the people hub. If i find out if it's possible I'll let you know.
    it should show up on your ME tile if you pin it to your start screen.
    01-13-12 11:39 PM
    Windows Phone 7.5 looks sexy. I thought of switching many many times...
    01-18-12 01:12 PM
    I left android for Windows and really enjoy the UI and the battery life. I do miss some of androids advantages but I hate the battery life. I think this year will be big for Windows Mobile.
    01-19-12 06:50 PM
    WHAT!? you are crazy!!! MS cannot even pay me to use their phones. They literally gave me free phones with mango on them in order to get me to convert, but I am still a bb fan.
    03-29-12 03:08 AM
    I am interested in seeing how BB10 fairs.... fingers crossed that it's everything it needs to be to keep BB afloat.

In the meantime, I will continue enjoying my WP7...which I've had for over a year now and not a single battery pull!!! It's amazing just how much a non-broken OS really means.

Thinking of trading-up for the white Nokia Lumia 900 in April...it's sexy as _______.
    03-29-12 03:26 PM
    I've really been happy with my Nokia Lumia 900, which I've had since 9 April. The device is very fast, and I am still on HSPA+. LTE is coming most likely next month. Since I knew that Cleveland was getting LTE, and I do not care for Android, this device fits my needs. It also has a lot of apps not available for BlackBerry, such as Netflix.
    04-14-12 08:47 PM
    I got the Lumia 900 on Launch day, so have had it for a week now & it is great. I think WP7 is a natural OS for BlackBerry user to migrate to. The Lumia is very nice, fast LTE, intuitive OS, works great on Exchange and personal accounts, and is something fresh & different from iOS and Android - although there's no denying their overall app advantage. So far so good!
    04-16-12 01:30 AM
    I left BB for an HTC Trophy on Verizon, and I love it. The email interface is simply stunning. The OS overall is very stable and works very well.

One thing to note if you are contemplating switching from a BB. This is not a BlackBerry. It doesn't do a lot of the things that a BB does. You cannot compare them, because they are two completely different devices. Once you understand that, the switch over will be pretty painless.
    04-18-12 05:54 PM
    WHAT!? you are crazy!!! MS cannot even pay me to use their phones. They literally gave me free phones with mango on them in order to get me to convert, but I am still a bb fan.
    Hmm, interesting. Obviously everyone is different but for some people, such as myself, WP7 is best. Indeed, on Modern Warfare 3 I am in the Windows Phone 7 clan.
    04-18-12 07:19 PM
    I firmly believe that windows mobile is the one to watch in 2013. I think Verizon is going to back them as they did android and if this happens they will become a major player in the smart phone world..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    06-19-12 07:12 AM
    I firmly believe that windows mobile is the one to watch in 2013. I think Verizon is going to back them as they did android and if this happens they will become a major player in the smart phone world..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    I'm waiting to see what Windows Phone 8 brings to the table.
    06-20-12 06:22 PM
    Well WinPhone is moving in my direction.

The new Desktop Application for WinPhone8 allows sync from iTunes to the phone, which is great for those of us with extensive iTunes music libraries that don't want to switch to Zune.

Also direct (cloudless) sync to Microsoft Outlook for Calendar, To-Do, Contacts and notes is now available using 3rd party software 'Akruto'.

These were my two largest complaints - WinPhone 8 is now a major contender for me when it's time to replace my 9900 this spring.
    12-15-12 11:28 AM
    I am in the same boat as I was so exited for BB10 in the beginning but then the doubts slowly crept in as more and more of it was shown. Im not to thrilled with the UI and the "flow". I was excited more about it with the Playbook style UI and loved it at that standpoint. I have just recently started looking at Windows Phone 8 and am very impressed with it all the around and very excited with the natural feel UI that has a common feel for Windows 8, Xbox 360, and Live. That is another point that is making me thinking about what I want for my next phone is a common system all the way across everything for all my stuff without being limited in software development for my projects. I love Blackberry and all but it feels like the next up is not what I want and BBM is a non issue so no comments about it like another guy got in another thread cause I am the only one in my circle with a Blackberry so I never got to use it.
    12-21-12 01:14 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD