Let's face it MS came to the Game too late. If they even wanted to try they would have popped phones for all carriers. And at this point they missed the bus. They will have some folks who love it but it is still winblows.
    I disagree. This phone is 100% nothing like windows, not even close. There isnt a single thing that represents windows, it is clearly a clean break from the old WinMo OS. MS will do very well with this OS, it is a game changer.
    11-12-10 10:47 AM
    I disagree. This phone is 100% nothing like windows, not even close. There isnt a single thing that represents windows, it is clearly a clean break from the old WinMo OS. MS will do very well with this OS, it is a game changer.
    Still a MS product. Still a LOCKED OS still behind the game.....
    11-12-10 11:21 AM
    Still a MS product. Still a LOCKED OS still behind the game.....
    I don't want to start a war here but its a clean OS. Which is way more than BB is doing. BB is rebranding old phones and calling them new. OS6 is just a evolution of OS5 and is dated. WMO7 has produced something new and the hardware specs they are making phone manufacturers use is second to none. I have always liked blackberries but RIM need to get on the ball, Microsoft has a lot of money and this new operating system is going after them and not IOS or android. If RIM produced something like the Droid pro I would not of doubted them. But the Torch is the weakest flagship phone out right now. Its made by 2 year olds, the hardware internals are underpowered, the screen is terrible, and the keyboard is hard to use. It is not a evolution of RIM's prior great phones. Its sad but its true, a slider, flip phone, and rebadged bold 9700(which I really liked just dated).
    11-12-10 09:12 PM
    It worked for apple
    Apple is something else. Their marketing is also 1000x better than MS.
    11-13-10 09:22 AM
    Apple is something else. Their marketing is also 1000x better than MS.
    I don't think its all marketing of the apple. My wife loves her iphone and its because its so simple. I think a lot of people like their phones to do everything but don't want it to be like using a pc. The new WM7 is similar.
    11-13-10 11:40 AM
    I don't think its all marketing of the apple. My wife loves her iphone and its because its so simple. I think a lot of people like their phones to do everything but don't want it to be like using a pc. The new WM7 is similar.
    Well Apple knows the consumer market extremely well. They make everything extremely simple to use. Marketing does help though. A lot of people didn't even care that the iPhone was missing MMS, Copy and Paste and a few other features, because it's the iPhone. I use to own the iPhone 3G and then the 3GS and participated in Apple forums. Some of the things iFanboys say proves that Apple's marketing is better than the iPhone itself. The iPhone is a great device though, I loved mine.
    11-13-10 12:33 PM
    I don't want to start a war here but its a clean OS. Which is way more than BB is doing. BB is rebranding old phones and calling them new. OS6 is just a evolution of OS5 and is dated. WMO7 has produced something new and the hardware specs they are making phone manufacturers use is second to none. I have always liked blackberries but RIM need to get on the ball, Microsoft has a lot of money and this new operating system is going after them and not IOS or android. If RIM produced something like the Droid pro I would not of doubted them. But the Torch is the weakest flagship phone out right now. Its made by 2 year olds, the hardware internals are underpowered, the screen is terrible, and the keyboard is hard to use. It is not a evolution of RIM's prior great phones. Its sad but its true, a slider, flip phone, and rebadged bold 9700(which I really liked just dated).
    Look what I said LOCKED as in not OPEN like Android. RIM is OLD news. MS Locks the code won't share it and trust me anything that runs on a Registry....well let's say it blows.
    11-13-10 06:04 PM
    Look what I said LOCKED as in not OPEN like Android. RIM is OLD news. MS Locks the code won't share it and trust me anything that runs on a Registry....well let's say it blows.
    If you think WM7 will not be code hacked your smoking something, it will have jailbreak/rooting type access soon enough. Android is only truly open due to rooting as there are plenty of carrier handsets where you can't side load apps for example. No OS is immune even BB with It's hybrid OS's, it just needs to evolve the homebrew market as it's still new.
    11-14-10 10:02 AM
    We can argue forever about locked and open. The fact is that microsoft has a OS with great potential, the money, and resources to move to the top. This OS is that good, and I have used every OS out their.
    11-14-10 01:49 PM
    No need to explain. The OS is obviously locked, there is a jailbreak option coming out soon.

Windows Phone 7 jailbreak imminent | BGR
    11-14-10 02:30 PM
    Wow..... Reading on Engadget that there is no customizing ringtones on any of the WP7 phones.
    Is this true? I know it seems like such a small thing but MS locking down their OS that much? Even if these Windows Phones are "jailbroken" what happens when MS pushes an OS update to your phone? Sounds even worse than Apple(didn't think that would be a goal though).
    11-15-10 02:47 PM
    Experiment, this is true for now. MS has said they will be adding this in an update but day 1 it lacks this feature. The rumors are suggesting a big update in 1Q that also adds copy/paste.

But small price to pay for what is in my opinion an excellent OS.
    11-15-10 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by G.myrthil
    Good Morning....... WHAT is there a PLAYSTATION phone coming out. It is going to be running on Android 3.0 and will have a 1ghz processor. That is AMAZING.

What does that have to do with WINMO 7?
    That was the sound of humor and sarcastic overture of the idea that a large game console vendor might be making a "new" mobile phone that they claim is going to change the world.

Kinda like NES making a cell phone OS after numerous failed attempts and learning nothing from those attempts, at a certain point, Microsoft really needs to just give up it's plan for world domination and learn to share, they have already stolen all the really good ideas from Apple many years ago.

Microsoft has become the "Mini-Me" from the Austin Powers movies, full of energy just not able to get the job done.
    11-16-10 04:57 PM
    It worked for apple
    For a while, anyway...
    12-02-10 04:53 PM
    For a while, anyway...
    True, I don't think I want to see another Apple launch.
    12-02-10 07:59 PM
    too little too late haha at least its reviewed asone of the hottest phones out their wheres rims new break into the smart phone world oh yea rated as one of the biggest tech flops of the year
    12-05-10 06:33 PM
    If you think WM7 will not be code hacked your smoking something, it will have jailbreak/rooting type access soon enough. Android is only truly open due to rooting as there are plenty of carrier handsets where you can't side load apps for example. No OS is immune even BB with It's hybrid OS's, it just needs to evolve the homebrew market as it's still new.
    Let me know when MS allows their code (the core of their OS) as an open download will ya.....**** will freeze over first..........you should know that based on your name techjunkie. Also just as an FYI BB Hybrids are a mix and match of cod's that work well together nobody is rewriting BB's code, No one will rewrite MS code but android on the other hand.....PS rooting does not make Android open. The GPL does.....
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-09-10 at 07:20 AM.
    12-09-10 07:18 AM
    I concur with APost's post. I recently spoke with a hybrid maker, and he doesn't see code at all. It's just putting together COD files, and plenty of rebooting thereafter. The reason why Android (based on Linux) is open is, as AP stated; and because of this, its source code is freely available to download, manipulate, and distribute. BB, Apple, and MS haven't done this at all.
    12-09-10 10:24 AM
    LOL BB OS hybrids are nothing more than a mix and match of cods and radio files. No code involved. It is nothing like open source.

PS- WP7 has already been jailbroken.
    12-10-10 09:54 AM
    Let me know when MS allows their code (the core of their OS) as an open download will ya.....**** will freeze over first..........you should know that based on your name techjunkie. Also just as an FYI BB Hybrids are a mix and match of cod's that work well together nobody is rewriting BB's code, No one will rewrite MS code but android on the other hand.....PS rooting does not make Android open. The GPL does.....
    Well thanks to everyone for jumping all over me and missing the point I was trying to make.

I was never suggesting that MS would release code, neither did Apple and look what happened there. Just stating that the same thing would occur sooner rather than later, so you are wrong to state that no one will ever rewrite the code of WP without MS approval.

As for Android, you are way off the mark to what I was saying. Yes Android is open for the reasons you say but handsets do not come that way, even the G2 had restrictions at release was my point. You only make them "open" by rooting them so yeah rooting does not make Android open, but it makes Android that came on the unit open by rooting. I am a consumer not a hacker and come from that direction.

I have always understood that Hybrids are not code hacks, but if they were Blackberry approved they would be releasing them as such if they were so much better then what they matched together themselves. This was just a statement of Blackberry not being immune to public modification in a way they did not intend and nothing more. Maybe you should have put more thought into the context of my post, but hey I did it for you
    12-10-10 11:50 AM
    Huh? The source code is out there for Android, I believe, unless I'm wrong. The source code allows manufacturers to do the things you're speaking of - customizing their builds to their phones: HTC Sense, Blur, Stock. The phone's access is locked, but it doesn't mean the OS is by any imagination. Take a look at the XDA developer community. You do have to approach it from a hacker's POV, or else you'll lose translation by what is meant by open.

Jailbreaking is simply unlocking a phone, not a rewrite of the code itself.

You're not really modifying anything by mixing and matching. Maybe the arms, or legs, but the core is still the same. I can swap out kernels, builds - I've used ROMS from different makers.

As a consumer, I look at something like Linux, and I can modify to my heart's content. I may not have the programming expertise to redo my own Linux, but I can do my fair share by ripping things out from its kernel.
    12-10-10 12:10 PM
    What is meant by side load apps? There's an option for me to download any app I please without rooting.
    12-10-10 12:12 PM
    What is meant by side load apps? There's an option for me to download any app I please without rooting.
    The Samsung Captivate needs to side load apps not in the market (and some apps that are in the market that jut don't appear) because AT&T locked the device to only be able to download market apps. There is no option to select "unknown sources".
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-10-10 12:39 PM
    Oh ok, didn't know they went that far.
    12-10-10 12:47 PM
    Oh ok, didn't know they went that far.
    Yea I believe only AT&T does this. Kinda weird but I guess AT&T is afraid that some users will download apps not in the market that will screw up the phone. Whatever.
    12-10-10 12:57 PM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD