I have started to see a lot more videos on the web shocking the new WM7 operating system. It looks really cool to me and I tho.k that if the OS is snappy, it should do really well. I see the smartphone market being flooded with WM7 devices like it is now with Android. Anyone else think that WM7 will benighted in the next year?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 06:29 PM
    Hi,
    as someone who has been on WM for ages, I don't feel that WM 7 represents my needs well.

I need a business OS; and not a "fun OS". IMHO, WM7 is just an iPhone clone -> I am not happy...
    07-25-10 06:09 PM
    How dare you say impression of WP7? Metro UI is not NEW, but old! since Zune HD released in 2009. WP7 Is the actual ZUNE HD PHONE!

No copy & paste
    No Application Switcher
    No Customize
    No Multi-tasking
    No 3rd party Apps

Microsoft chose to build from the ground up a mobile phone OS atop the OS found in its Zune MP3 player!

I heard the rumors and read article somewhere internet said if you hack and access your own wp7 for something, they guaranty will shut your ID down from phone. NO BS! Like MSFT banned 1million gamers from xbox live for pirate and even shut their console down for good.

please look back MSFT's history repeat itself: BOB, Courier, MSN TV, WMo, Zune/HD MP3, KIN on and on, which were FAILURE! WP7 will be EPIC FAILURE again without my own doubt.

Have you read Galen Gruman's articles about Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster ?
    07-25-10 07:44 PM
    Not sure how I feel about it. I don't like how it's app market is going to be more controlled then apple's that's scary all on it's own. Also, after seeing what it did to KIN, I'd be really hesitant to buy. KIN lasted like, what, 4 months before they killed it off? They didn't even try with the KIN, they just took it out back and shot it in the face.

Also like the previous poster said, Microsoft has pretty severe a.d.d. with their products. Like @farbes mentioned, the courier died before it even made it anywhere near production. I think windows mobile might be dead. That said even if it were successful it would still have to play catch up with the lack of features it's gonna launch with..
    07-26-10 10:45 PM
    Not sure how I feel about it. I don't like how it's app market is going to be more controlled then apple's that's scary all on it's own. Also, after seeing what it did to KIN, I'd be really hesitant to buy. KIN lasted like, what, 4 months before they killed it off? They didn't even try with the KIN, they just took it out back and shot it in the face.

Also like the previous poster said, Microsoft has pretty severe a.d.d. with their products. Like @farbes mentioned, the courier died before it even made it anywhere near production. I think windows mobile might be dead. That said even if it were successful it would still have to play catch up with the lack of features it's gonna launch with..
    I think the features will come in time. The only thing that really makes me think that I wouldn't get a WM7 device is that it won't be offering anything new. It already seems to me to offer many of the same features and services that Android does. Why would I change all of my Google stuff to Windows Live stuff if it is just going to be same experience just a different set of services. Even the hardware manufacturers will be the same. I hope to see something new. We wil see.
    08-13-10 05:08 PM
    the courier was a concept and nothing more. I believe a lot of tech companies do R&D and many concepts end up lying on the floor for one reason or another.

@Farbes I wouldn't count the zune being a failure. Unless microsoft main aim was to knock apple off the number 1 position. Sure most companies aim to be number 1 but I'm pretty sure MS did quite well with the zune in its own right.

The zune UI interested me but it never headed down under (at least to my knowledge!)

The UI is great and I think Microsoft is handling the new WM7 quite well up until recently. Things I've been hearing lately have cooled the waters for me about what i think of the OS.

Windows Mobile at one point had a good slice of the Smartphone market up alongside RIM and Nokia and to a lesser point Palm. But windows mobile began to stagnate and this brings us to this point with other competitors like apple and google providing more in terms of functionality and usability.

This forced microsofts hand and well here we are, WM7. its funky, its new and brings that wow factor! But I find that the more i read about it the more its seems to be missing the point at least to the point of being a productivity tool.
    A lot of things that were available in windows mobile 6.5 are now missing in wm7. copy and paste? ahh c'mon what?!

apparently the interface can't be changed so the only thing that will differentiate the market is the hardware. there's good and bad about that since it'll allow MS to focus on getting updates quicker to market but i'm hoping just like android that companies can add their own special touches to the phone!

Social Media is a big deal nowadays but from what I've read, WM7 goes over board with it and as such would probably annoy me more than anything! Integration into contacts, photos, music, everything. If i want to be spammed, I'd like it to be in a certain areas where i can bring it up not in every facet of my phone. Spamming my photo folder with pictures from facebook along with the pictures i've taken isn't something i really care for.

Social media is distraction than a productivity tool but thats just how i see it.

windows phone 7 i think will appeal to those who are much more savvy with integration with social content but im not sure how well it will work with two more twitter accounts, facebook etc.
    One thing i do like about the platform is its integration with windows, it will be seemingly easier to develop for and thefore more apps for everyone (i personally dont give a toss about apps) and with the backing of large corporation and several manufacturers it will only gain traction. eating into both apple and android phones.

How much it eats into RIM's percentage is up to how it markets itself with the professionals out there but i do see it pulling some users away from rim for the simple fact that push email and MS exchanges works and works well and some companies still operate with windows mobile 6.5.
    It'll be interesting to see how far it encroaches on NOKIA's volume of sales too.

But im less enthused as i was a few months ago about the WP7. I feel the more i read about it the more i feel its fallen a little bit short of what i love in a blackberry. I'm still keen on seeing how it goes and if my opinions are unfounded, i have no problems moving over (g/f might have a word or two to say about that though, haha) but being a 1st gen OS (being that its a total rebuild) there is bound to be problems and it might be worth waiting for 7.1+ or at least until they bring back copy and paste, sheesh!
    09-01-10 06:01 AM
    XBOX Live being integrated into it is definitely a selling point.
    09-05-10 07:12 PM
    How dare you say impression of WP7? Metro UI is not NEW, but old! since Zune HD released in 2009. WP7 Is the actual ZUNE HD PHONE!

No copy & paste
    No Application Switcher
    No Customize
    No Multi-tasking
    No 3rd party Apps

Microsoft chose to build from the ground up a mobile phone OS atop the OS found in its Zune MP3 player!

I heard the rumors and read article somewhere internet said if you hack and access your own wp7 for something, they guaranty will shut your ID down from phone. NO BS! Like MSFT banned 1million gamers from xbox live for pirate and even shut their console down for good.

please look back MSFT's history repeat itself: BOB, Courier, MSN TV, WMo, Zune/HD MP3, KIN on and on, which were FAILURE! WP7 will be EPIC FAILURE again without my own doubt.

Have you read Galen Gruman's articles about Windows Phone 7: Don't bother with this disaster ?
    No copy & paste = coming in early 2011 update stated at the live conference
    No Application Switcher = Yes you can switch applications
    No Customize = You're be able to theme and customize colors
    No Multi-tasking = Multiple apps can run at once
    No 3rd party Apps = App Hub already have over 2000+ apps waiting

Windows Mobile 7 will not be a fail, you're kidding me right? WMO dominated, MS just shifted focus and took longer than they should to develop wm7 which gave Apple and Android time to come out. Zune HD never failed tons of people own one, and the Zune store for videos and music is doing well also. KIN was a failure and thats given Courier was replaced in favor of the HP Slate in which HP canned after buying Palms OS. BUT, if you keep up with tech Balmer announce there will be a Slate available for the holiday. So all you statements and facts aren't true. All net rumors or info you chose to follow up on.
    Last edited by devGOD; 10-16-10 at 03:12 PM.
    10-16-10 03:03 PM
    that post was from july, lol...

No Application Switcher = Yes you can switch applications
    No Multi-tasking = Multiple apps can run at once

Windows Mobile 7 will not be a fail, you're kidding me right? WMO dominated, MS just shifted focus and took longer than they should to develop wm7 which gave Apple and Android time to come out. Zune HD never failed tons of people own one, and the Zune store for videos and music is doing well also. KIN was a failure and thats given Courier was replaced in favor of the HP Slate in which HP canned after buying Palms OS. BUT, if you keep up with tech Balmer announce there will be a Slate available for the holiday. So all you statements and facts aren't true. All net rumors or info you chose to follow up on.
    10-16-10 04:34 PM
    can someone tell me if this is a fallacy. mate was just telling me that taking out the SD card in windows 7 phone and replacing it with a totally different SD card will reset your phone to default.

Sure that might be good for businesses but changing it to put in a larger SD or to view/listen to songs on another card would be devastating if your phone resets for the casual user.
    10-16-10 06:38 PM
    I hadn't heard of that, but if that's the case, that would definitely be a concern of mine.

10-16-10 07:06 PM
    With all the great smartphones on the market now, MS will really have to knock it out of the park to grab any market share. It seems like MS has been in the same rut that the American auto makers were in in the 70's and 80's (Kin = Chevy Vega). Nowadays, we (America) make darn good cars again, can MS step up to the plate?
    10-17-10 07:41 AM
    I truly believe that WM7 will be a great plaform and Microsoft will step up and offer great product. I just wonder if anyone will care.

10-17-10 07:45 AM
    As far as the SD card goes. From everything I read it seems that before you first use the phone you should upgrade the card to the size you need. For me I will replace the 8 or 16gb card with a 32gb before I ever power on and set my phone up. Upon first setup is where the card because part of the memory. If the card is removed after you have used it your data will be lost and reset to factory settings. If you need more than 32 then you should just carry a harddrive around with you. I also believe this will be a great platform. MS has eliminated the OS update problem that RIM has. The carriers are not anypart of it. The updates will be pushed out just like a windows PC or through zune software. No longer will I have to wait on T-mo to take their head out of their a$$ and release and update that was leaked 6 months ago. Xbox live already has a huge fan base and that alone will cause alot off people to jump ship and take on WP7. Not just young people but I myself love xbox live and what it has to offer. I will miss BBM but will have windows live messenger. I know its not the same but will do. I will hold onto my BB for deployments to use BBM. There is just alot to offer on WP7 compared to BB. MS also controls the quality of the phones much like RIM and Apple do. They don't manufacture them but do set the standards, unlike Android where you still see new phones coming out with outdated OSs and they can't even support the current OS. I see WP7 controlling much of the market but will take time.
    10-18-10 04:11 AM
    Problem is they completely abandoned their existing wm userbase (not that it was that large, but there were prior users). It's not transition-able, it's entirely new.

Android works far, far better as a WM continutation and has most of the same caveats (device fragmentation, too much customization, rom cooking, etc).

That basically leaves competing against the iphone, which i don't think is that great of a move for them... Is the xbox live smartphone integration market really that huge? I personally don't think so, but who knows...

That and most of the windows live services kinda suck hard compared to google services, so....
    10-18-10 03:53 PM
    I would agree with papped on the Windows live services compared to Google or iTunes. I'm not seeing the greatness of what they are offering. To be honest, it seems like people are really buying the UI. Because everything else seems to be standard on what you are getting on every other smartphone nowadays. They are going to need to prove that they are able to bring in something new. I haven't seen it yet. It just looks compelling.

10-19-10 04:20 AM
    I would rather have webOS 2.0 than WP7 at this point. 2.0 added some nice new features, but the OS still isn't all there yet.
    10-19-10 04:41 PM
    No Application Switcher = Yes you can switch applications *LI3*
    No Multi-tasking = Multiple apps can run at once *LI3*

WP7 has no multi-switching apps, period.

Let me quote from BGR:
    One last thing that really bugs us with the UI is that there is no application switcher. At all. On a BlackBerry you can hold the BlackBerry key, on Android devices you can hold the Home key, and on the iPhone you can double tap the home button. Just simply navigating back, back, back, back and back doesn’t really cut it, and during every day usage, it got tired quick.

Source
    Window phone 7 has no mutli-tasking:
    And in pursuit of a stark aesthetic, there's a radical reduction of elements on a WP7 screen: The home screen, for example, only fits eight tiles at once. So to get to something else, you've gotta swipe a mile or two. (The iPhone gives you access to 20 items; Android 2.2, up to 19.) No universal search to call up apps. No singular email app: Every email account creates its own tile, which sucks when real estate is so valuable. Browsing for apps is the single most painful experience of Windows Phone. Stumbling upon Netflix felt like a happy accident after 10 minutes of flipping through apps to see what was new. Loading app lists takes forever, and it's the one time the phone ever becomes totally nonresponsive. Annoying "Resuming..." screen pops up any time you lock the phone with an app open and then turn the screen back on. Sometimes the whole app reloads. It's highly annoying, like hitting a speed bump in a Ferrari. No multi-tasking.

Source
    Window phone7 is not Iphone nor andriod killer:
    Walt Mossberg's comments on Windows Phone 7 Is "Inferior," Lacking "Killer Innovation"

"I see Windows Phone 7 as inferior to iPhone and Android for most average users. It’s simply not fully baked yet."

"Overall, I can’t recommend Windows Phone 7 as being on a par with iPhone or Android—at least not yet. Unless you’re an Xbox Live user, or rely on Microsoft’s SharePoint corporate Web-based document system, it isn’t as good or as versatile as its rivals."

Source

Therefore, I dont believe MSFT announced Copy & paste will come in earlier 2011 as they said if people buy their incomplete phone, then they will do it. thats not sound right!

No swpye
    No universal voice
    NO front facing camera

Windows Phone 7 will not be able to tether!

For facts- MSFT HAD history repeat itself of many products which were failed. Mmmm..Google search is your best friend!
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 10-22-10 at 05:42 AM.
    10-22-10 05:34 AM
    Android works far, far better as a WM continutation and has most of the same caveats (device fragmentation, too much customization, rom cooking, etc).

Is the xbox live smartphone integration market really that huge?
    In fact Microsoft has been deliberately misleading the consumer, with deceptive bait and switch advertising, clearly xbox 360 gaming compatibility implies such titles as CoD: BO, ME1,2, Dragon Age Origins, etc., but instead the consumers are stuck with some mini games.

Android wins over WP7 hands down, it offers more customization, multitasking, apps, voice search, google maps, traffic, swype. These are the real features that are actually useful to the consumer, instead of useless dumbed down "tile interface" and mini games.
    10-22-10 05:38 AM
    Let the market fragmentation begin, WP7 where you will want to be pretty much satisified with the device as-is. You'll get perhaps incremental updates on varying OTA delivery dates, etc directly from Microsoft ; however those updates will disappear as Microsoft force the major handset manufacturers move on to newer models (WP7, 8, 9 will become like of concept: windows 3.1, 95, 98, winme, XP, vista, 7 which are absolutely fragmentation already). On average, I'd say a device will continue to be updated for 6 months to a year.

Because MSFT want to sell OS licences to major manufacturers by cycle of every 6 to 12 months rather then update OTA.. MSFT IS HUNGRY CASH COW!
    10-22-10 05:47 AM
    With the phone market is getting big now. With WP7 dropping next month. Now Blackberry has to compete with Iphone, Android & WP7. Do you see blackberry being able to keep up with all of them.
    10-22-10 10:01 AM
    With the phone market is getting big now. With WP7 dropping next month. Now Blackberry has to compete with Iphone, Android & WP7. Do you see blackberry being able to keep up with all of them.
    They're not really directly competing with them as much as you think in the first place...

Would a large portion of iphone users ever buy a blackberry even if they made it far, far more media/games centric? I seriously doubt it. They're just classed into different market niches and the competition isn't direct. That's why iphone can sell millions of handsets yet RIM still exceeds expectations on number of units sold (which was a lot of them...).

WP7 has to compete with everyone because they're new. The only possible issue is if WP7 manages to break the corporate market, which I doubt. But who knows.
    10-22-10 12:50 PM
    For me I will replace the 8 or 16gb card with a 32gb before I ever power on and set my phone up. Upon first setup is where the card because part of the memory. If the card is removed after you have used it your data will be lost and reset to factory settings. If you need more than 32 then you should just carry a harddrive around with you. I also believe this will be a great platform.

MS has eliminated the OS update problem that RIM has. The carriers are not anypart of it. The updates will be pushed out just like a windows PC or through zune software. No longer will I have to wait on T-mo to take their head out of their a$$ and release and update that was leaked 6 months ago.
    You do realise this is annoying right? doing this step to get extra space is is frustrating if you forget or someone decides to be an arse and replaces it as a joke. You better hope you've got a backup version on your desktop!

Having more than 32gb you might as well carry a hard drive around might be sound advice but a lot of people now prefer to store their music/movies on their phone and use it as their media device as well. I'm not sure about you but try plugging an external hard drive into your phone and see how that works...

secondly, the fact you're willing to go ahead with that hassle and pay more for a bigger SD card is kinda ironic esp if there's already 8 or 16 gb internally to begin with

If you're fine with not taking that sd card out ever then so be it. For the most part, I hardly take mine out but when that day comes, well sorry, too bad... you better hope that it syncs your information, your document/files and syncs every personal setting you made and application you've downloaded when it resets your device.

In theory, it sounds great that you won't have to rely on carrier updates to keep your smartphone up to date and it'll be pushed to your device since we all know how specified carriers ROMS can be a pain in the ****. We'll see how long MS will keep these phones updated once new models come into the market within the next year or two. Nokia is doing something very similar with their symbian/meego operating system.
    10-23-10 07:02 AM
    Good New for my people back in the UK. the Dell Venue drops on November 8th. That is Dell first phone i think and it is operating on WP7. I think they are doing preorders right now.
    10-23-10 07:46 AM
    Hello...... GOOD NEWS Nokia & HTC users. The Nokia N8 and the HTC Desire HD is now available on Vodafone UK. So go out and get one of them.
    10-23-10 07:45 PM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD