Here is a other problems with the surface. If this was RIM this news would be all over the front page media and on nightly news.

Microsoft Surface keyboard cover and audio problem disappoint many

Microsoft Surface keyboard cover and audio problem disappoint many | Northern Voices Online
    11-11-12 08:49 AM
    Keyboards not Screens.
    11-11-12 08:51 AM
    Wow...It's NOT just the surface with these issues but also Windows 8

Microsoft's Windows 8 Poses Audio Problems
    Microsoft's Windows 8 Poses Audio Problems - TheStreet
    11-11-12 08:59 AM
    Looks like MS will be replacing a lot of keyboards or changing it completely. As for the usb audio thing they will at least fix it in short order or maybe it'll take 6 months to year and still won't be right?
    11-11-12 09:11 AM
    Looks like MS will be replacing a lot of keyboards or changing it completely. As for the usb audio thing they will at least fix it in short order or maybe it'll take 6 months to year and still won't be right?
    It's too bad. I was excited for the surface. It seems like a bumpy launch.
    kbz1960 and Toodeurep like this.
    11-11-12 09:17 AM
    Never good when stuff like this gets past quality control. For the price point, I think this should not be a concern. if it is, bad press will follow.
    11-11-12 09:22 AM
    LOL, I hear ya.

*sigh* it is almost crazy, as a consumer, to buy items first run. If you do, you are a paying beta tester it seems.
    Yep, and in a way I'm glad I'll not be able to upgrade to a BB10 phone straight away, I've just past my half way trough my two years contract.
    11-11-12 09:29 AM
    Yep, and in a way I'm glad I'll not be able to upgrade to a BB10 phone straight away, I've just past my half way trough my two years contract.
    I simply never buy new devices any more. It's ridiculous. If this is widespread, it will be very, very bad. I hope RIM locks down QC in a major way.

You gonna go touchscreen?
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-11-12 09:33 AM
    There is a ton of baggage in this thread. Anyway, I think the audio problem on windows 8 seems like a major flaw if it's widespread. I agree with trelawrence on the beta testing when it's new tech. It sucks.
    kbz1960 and Toodeurep like this.
    11-11-12 09:36 AM
    Sad but true isn't. Cars, TVs the list goes on and on.

As a manufacturer and an engineer, software has glitches and often they cannot be replicated in testing but physical wear and tear and testing the build quality is easier for us.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-11-12 09:37 AM
    I simply never buy new devices any more. It's ridiculous. If this is widespread, it will be very, very bad. I hope RIM locks down QC in a major way.

Seeing's how it's just the keyboard cover..i'm sure it's not THAT big a deal. MS will jump on it quickly and get the issue rectified i'm sure. And for those that already have the keyboards and have noticed defects, they'll be replaced i'm sure. Really..a non-issue imo (from a consumer point of view).
    11-11-12 09:38 AM
    Then I'd suggest NOT going on rants about people posting non-BB topics unless you like being labelled hypocritical..

But from what i've gathered..it's OK to post negative articles about other platforms, which people on here appreciate and like to discuss. However, anything negative towards RIM gets you labelled troll and/or anti-RIM. Makes sense
    I think a slant toward the platform's site should be expected and encouraged. I take it you disagree? If so, I accept your opinion as an equal but still disagree with it.
    11-11-12 09:41 AM

Never!!!! , I might not even go BB10, I'll wait to see the S model running BBOS. I will have BB10 on the PlayBook hopefully.

Call me old fashion but I actually enjoy typing on the 9900, I'd rather type on my 9900 then my laptop. Typing on the PlayBook is a chore to me and takes me 3 times as long.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-11-12 09:42 AM
    I think a slant toward the platform's site should be expected and encouraged. I take it you disagree? If so, I accept your opinion as an equal but still disagree with it.
    That's a topic for a whole other thread I'll try to keep this one on tracks and not derail it
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-11-12 09:44 AM
    It all adds up, don't forget the Surface also had an extremely embarrassing moment when it froze on stage and here in UK it ranked as no2 most embarrassing on a TV show called Rude Tube. It was based on numbers of views. Every problem it now has it just adds to it.
    11-11-12 09:47 AM
    Does anyone here have a windows 8 phone? I'm curious to see if any users on Crackberry have the audio issues.
    11-11-12 09:48 AM
    My biggest problem with the Surface vs Laptop is you can't adjust the screen angle on the table, how do you put a kid in front of it or a very tall person? It's simple things like this that will kill it.
    11-11-12 09:49 AM
    Personally, I feel the "ultra" books with the flip screens have the most potential of all touch based devices (non-phone). Once the eco systems are stabilized these seem to have the most use, for me at least. Only time will tell but with all but a couple producing devices running W8 I see them as a solid #2 it the tablet market within 2 years.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 11-11-12 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Confused my topics.
    11-11-12 09:55 AM
    So, Belfastdispatcher, are you buying any extra 9900's in case yours breaks? I can see some people doing that.
    11-11-12 10:06 AM
    My biggest problem with the Surface vs Laptop is you can't adjust the screen angle on the table, how do you put a kid in front of it or a very tall person? It's simple things like this that will kill it.
    Is this true? I guess I could look for myself...
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    11-11-12 10:08 AM
    I am not a M$ fan, but I get the impression that this issue may not be totally isolated, but seems pretty limited. I.e., it's nowhere near a majority of units affected. I also must say that I like the form factor with the purpose-built touch keyboard cover. Not enough that I'll run out and buy one for myself, but I do like where they're going with it. Should upset the tablet market just a bit.
    sputneek and middbrew like this.
    11-11-12 10:13 AM
    Most electronic devices have 'surprises' when they get out in the field initially. Remains to be seen whether this is a small number of units and Microsoft quickly fixes; or something big like the XBox red-ring-of-death.
    11-11-12 10:15 AM
    My biggest problem with the surface is the whole fail-full strategy of insisting on shoving Windows into places it doesn't belong, and making a version of Windows that isn't really Windows.

The amount of smoke blown up peoples you know what is incredible. I mean Microsoft is seriously trying to convince people that this isn't just a regular tablet, it's a WHOLE NEW KIND of product based on the fact that A: You can get it with a keyboard (Nevermind the fact that you can get a keyboard for any tablet!) and B: IT COMES WITH OFFICE! (As if you couldn't get an office program for any tablet for either free or ten bucks)
    richardat likes this.
    11-11-12 10:28 AM
    So, Belfastdispatcher, are you buying any extra 9900's in case yours breaks? I can see some people doing that.
    Considering you can still buy 7290s on ebay I'm not too worried yet
    11-11-12 10:28 AM
40 12