The death of the clunky playbook.
    I wouldn't go that far, but definitely RIM and Windows might be targeting the same end users...So RIM needs to respond.
    06-18-12 07:52 PM
    I think this is a completely different target market. Most likely these tablets will be $600+ and most do not want to spend that much on a tablet. I think this will not really have any affect on what RIM has with the playbook.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    06-18-12 07:58 PM
    I think it'll eat into iPad sales. I know tons of people who bought an iPad becuase they wanted something more portable than a laptop. I'm one of those people who wants a tablet but would love something that integrates with my PC like the iPad does with Apple computers.

MS seems to have nailed it. If the reviews are as good as they look like they'll be then I'll be picking up one of these.
    No,a lot of people buy Ipad is because they are dumb and/or windows is too complicated for them. Nobody would be willing to buy something which they feel are complicated ..as much I hate Steve Jobs but he nailed it and removed all complications surrounding a PC or a Mac
    06-18-12 08:04 PM
    I think this is a completely different target market. Most likely these tablets will be $600+ and most do not want to spend that much on a tablet. I think this will not really have any affect on what RIM has with the playbook.
    I disagree. I think it will have some effect on PlayBook sales, since more players in the market means less pie to go around. It may not be a big impact, but kinda makes me interested in seeing what will become of windows 8 phones...
    06-18-12 08:08 PM
    I don't how the adaption for a RT tablet would be with no apps? it is Playbook all over again...IMO there might be a pent up demand for a Pro version because of most PC users are looking to run their PC apps on a tablet and most of those who are not satisfied with the IPAD.

Android, IOS and even BB10 would be a ahead of Windows RT in terms of the app ecosystem and the gaming when it launches this fall. We will have to wait and see..how the hardware and integration is with rest of MS services otherwise Windows RT will be a POS. I am having my doubts about RT because MS has been very secretive about anything concerning RT and have not revealed anything so far. We will have wait it out and see.

I will not a buying a Windows RT..period
    06-18-12 08:17 PM
    I have always found the 7" tablets to be easier to handle and type on . I own a galaxy tab and just picked up a PlayBook and I find the PlayBook to be a better tablet all around.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 08:35 PM
    I would have hoped that RIM would have been the one to introduce a cool, innovative keyboard like Microsoft has today (given their history and all the talk about a 3D keyboard, etc).
    06-18-12 08:40 PM
    The keyboard looks very elegant.
    06-18-12 08:43 PM
    Think enterprise market (not consumer market). Unlikely that MS will displace the iPad anytime soon but MS plays in RIMS bread and butter market space much more then Apple or Samsung do. There are many enterprise customers that may choose WinPhone along with an integrated tablet and PC as a compromise to BYOD. IMO this is just another cut for RIM.
    06-18-12 08:44 PM
    10.6"? 903g or 1.9 lb in weight? Ballmer is nuts!

Samsung 13.3" N9 series ultrabook is 2.54 lbs and it has more features.

Unless Microsoft can match iPad price point of $599 (32 GB) then this is Zune Redux.

I have a ASUS TF101 and I find 10.1" big enough for a tablet and ackward to type on screen unless it's in portrait mode.

One can purchase a ASUS TF101 for $499 or less with keyboard. Microsoft should rename it, iNsufferable.
    06-18-12 08:53 PM
    My guess is Microsoft will price at around the $499 to $599 range, effectively pricing themselves out of the market.
    06-18-12 08:54 PM
    To be honest, I see the Pro version as more of a notebook replacement tablet. I would get the 128gb PRO just to replace my laptop. My PlayBook has earned its Tablet spot with me
    06-18-12 09:23 PM
    Nitpick all you want about size, one hand use, etc... this device looks slick. If it does indeed perform in the consumer's hands just as they demoed today, it'll be a big success. Don't cloud your judgement simply due to brand loyalty.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-18-12 09:38 PM
    At least Ballmer put it in the dryer and shrunk it:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1O917o4jI[/YT]

Nitpick all you want about size, one hand use, etc... this device looks slick. If it does indeed perform in the consumer's hands just as they demoed today, it'll be a big success. Don't cloud your judgement simply due to brand loyalty.
    06-18-12 09:45 PM
    The death of the clunky playbook.
    How do you figure that????
    06-18-12 10:31 PM
    We need to face facts; the play book is done. RIM is losing money on every single playbook sold. The playbook is no longer being produced; they are merely in the process of exhausting the inventory that they have remaining in the warehouses. That is why the 16 gb model is no longer being offered. The 32 gb device was designed to be sold for 599 not for the price of a nook color or a kindle fire. The specs are too robust to make a profit at the low end price point.

RIM would need to price a 4g bb10 version of the playbook at apple prices to make a profit they simply don't have the pricing power or the market penetration or the free cash to make that happen. Microsoft entering the arena with robust self branded hardware changes the equation; they are enterprise. Windows runs 95% of the personal computers in the world including every major corporation. The integration of windows 8 across all platforms; pc tablet and phone is a good IT solution for business.

Nokia failed them in the handset market so it's likely also Microsoft may self brand windows 8 smartphones assuming the surface succeeds. Microsoft is taking on apple head to head. apple devices are app centrifc but they are unable to run programs because they aren't powerful enough. A windows pc tablet could replace the laptop with a portable solution. Here's how: just like a laptop with a docking station all you would need is a hdmi monitor and you have full desktop experience. Playbook can't do that and iPad cant do that. That is the future a tablet that plugs into your peripherals just like connecting ur iPod by Bluetooth to your $2000 home entertainment system. Dockable portable personal tablet computers connected wirelessly is the future of this . You carry the tablet with you but when in range of your peripherals at work or home then you get the full experience. Portability combined with robust experience at work and home.
    Last edited by JTATL; 06-18-12 at 10:39 PM.
    06-18-12 10:36 PM
    Even if they price the Pro version at $1000+ there will be strong sales. I resell Motion Computing and Toshiba tablets. These units have been in existence and use for 12+ years and every one thinks tablets are new or this is Microsoft's first tablet OS. Some companies have been using Windows CE since 1996. There is a huge market awaiting a lower cost, current OS Windows Tablet. Automotive, Medical, Hospitality, and Retail just to name a few of my verticals.
    mikelcal likes this.
    06-18-12 10:37 PM
    People want to believe RIM can compete but the days of bb addiction are over.

Yes tablets aren't new but a seriously robust experience is because the problem was with computer power came battery drain and weight but as chips became more powerful and battery stronger and with credit card thin metal like vapor magnesium; the day is upon us.
    Last edited by JTATL; 06-18-12 at 10:46 PM.
    06-18-12 10:43 PM
    One reality that is, I think, important to realize is that if you play with the current Win 8 beta, it is much further along and much more polished than OS2 or BB10 is right now. On top of that, Microsoft has developer tools available today that put the Android and iOS SDK's to shame.

Now, RIM has other advantages in the phone space with BB10 on phones. However, these Surface devices are quite compelling in the enterprise tablet world, and the tools around them are the best in the business.
    06-18-12 10:45 PM
    This is Microsoft getting mad and rushing out a device that will leave consumers scratching there heads. Anyone remember micosofts attempt at a apple classic device, they called it ZUNE. IT died a horrible death.
    i had a few zunes, it could have been the ipod killer but they decided not to market it.
    jpash549 likes this.
    06-18-12 10:54 PM
    It will be interesting to see how the integration will be with the Win 8 phones. I guess we'll know more about that in a couple of days.
    I think that because of this plus the fact that Windows has a HUGE pc user base, these tabs have the best shot of anyone to put some kind of a dent in iPad's tablet dominance. And if those and Win 8 on pc's do integrate well with Win Phone 8, MS could find itself a very competitive #3 in the mobile segment, with a good shot at #2.
    06-18-12 11:20 PM
    I am not convinced, there is a huge market for $1000+ tablet for Pro Version. There have been Windows Tablets for years now and have not been huge sellers. Perhaps for specialized needs, executives, sales people and other road warriors. Nevertheless, Asus Eee Windows Tablet (EP121) with 32GB is not flying off the shelves. But iPad is filling this gap now with tablets at $399+ price point. Even older iPad 2 at $399 is a compelling device for enterprise. It comes down to cost, would a CIO choose $399 iPad 2 or the new Surface RT at $499+? The deciding factor will be cost and relevant software. Today, Microsoft does not have the same clout with software developers as it did 5 or 6 years ago. SAP, Oracle, Cisco, IBM, Saleforce.com and Adobe are all developing iPad software for enterprise. Apple has developed a huge lead the last 2.5 years in mobile computing.

Microsoft will have to be very aggressive on price to buy market share. Similar to BYOD in smartphone, employees will choose the tablet he or she is familiar and comfortable with, and today, it's the iPad. It's good enough. I see similarities to Zune mistakes. Zune failed because the buying public did not see it as better than iPod but just another "me-too" product. The Surface reminds me of another "me-too" product. Just my opinion. Time will tell if I'm wrong....

from Sunny Cali.
    06-18-12 11:50 PM
    We need to face facts; the play book is done. RIM is losing money on every single playbook sold. The playbook is no longer being produced; they are merely in the process of exhausting the inventory that they have remaining in the warehouses. That is why the 16 gb model is no longer being offered. The 32 gb device was designed to be sold for 599 not for the price of a nook color or a kindle fire. The specs are too robust to make a profit at the low end price point.

RIM would need to price a 4g bb10 version of the playbook at apple prices to make a profit they simply don't have the pricing power or the market penetration or the free cash to make that happen. Microsoft entering the arena with robust self branded hardware changes the equation; they are enterprise. Windows runs 95% of the personal computers in the world including every major corporation. The integration of windows 8 across all platforms; pc tablet and phone is a good IT solution for business.

Nokia failed them in the handset market so it's likely also Microsoft may self brand windows 8 smartphones assuming the surface succeeds. Microsoft is taking on apple head to head. apple devices are app centrifc but they are unable to run programs because they aren't powerful enough. A windows pc tablet could replace the laptop with a portable solution. Here's how: just like a laptop with a docking station all you would need is a hdmi monitor and you have full desktop experience. Playbook can't do that and iPad cant do that. That is the future a tablet that plugs into your peripherals just like connecting ur iPod by Bluetooth to your $2000 home entertainment system. Dockable portable personal tablet computers connected wirelessly is the future of this . You carry the tablet with you but when in range of your peripherals at work or home then you get the full experience. Portability combined with robust experience at work and home.

I just checked, my PB still works. The 2 dollar hdmi cable still works too when I plug it into my tv. Have you used a PB? its amazing.
    06-19-12 01:55 AM
    Lots of delusional fanboys here...for Pete's sake, the Win 8 RT version is thinner than the Playbook, has a superb build quality, a very impressive kickstand and will launch with probably as many big name apps as the PlayBook currently has. In the coming months the Win RT metro platform will easily outstrip the number of apps available to BB10/Playbook (C'mon, this is Windows we're talking about).

Also this will ship with a full fledged copy of Microsoft Office built in!

All you folks babbling about 'getting Sh!t done' on your RIM devices, here's a tablet that's actually going to let you have loads of productivity on it....and yet all some folks can do is to scoff
    06-19-12 02:02 AM
    Lots of delusional fanboys here...for Pete's sake, the Win 8 RT version is thinner than the Playbook, has a superb build quality, a very impressive kickstand and will launch with probably as many big name apps as the PlayBook currently has. In the coming months the Win RT metro platform will easily outstrip the number of apps available to BB10/Playbook (C'mon, this is Windows we're talking about).

Also this will ship with a full fledged copy of Microsoft Office built in!

All you folks babbling about 'getting Sh!t done' on your RIM devices, here's a tablet that's actually going to let you have loads of productivity on it....and yet all some folks can do is to scoff

That is precisely why I'm confused. I love my playbook but I'm not sure I need full fledged windows in a tablet form with a kick stand that has only two positions open and closed. Its not so much the productivity proposition as opposed to the portability one. I guess I'm more of a tactile person and I'd have to touch it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-19-12 03:53 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD